Posted to comp.music.research,rec.audio.misc,rec.music.compose,rec.music.early
Jen Grier Jen Grier is offline

Default Ancient Greek Music Theory

Hello Musicians, Composers, Fellow Students, and Musicologists,

I'm an undergrad student studying ancient Greek music theory in depth for
application to a contemporary performance.

Has anyone written on the subject to a considerable degree? My work is an
Honors Project, much akin to an undergraduate thesis of sorts. I'm looking
for people to direct me to better sources and comment on my interpretations
and troubles.

Thank you for reading my inquiry. My apologies for the crosspost.

--
Jen Grier
Composer, Arranger, Saxophonist

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Jens Rodrigo Jens Rodrigo is offline

Jen Grier wrote:
Hello Musicians, Composers, Fellow Students, and Musicologists,
I'm an undergrad student studying ancient Greek music theory in depth
for application to a contemporary performance.
Has anyone written on the subject to a considerable degree? My work
is an Honors Project, much akin to an undergraduate thesis of sorts.
I'm looking for people to direct me to better sources and comment on
my interpretations and troubles.

This really may help:
http://www.scirus.com/srsapp/search?...c+theory&t=all

Cheers Jens

Posted to comp.music.research,rec.audio.misc,rec.music.compose,rec.music.early
Arthur Ness Arthur Ness is offline

Certainly you'd want to examine Thomas Mathiesen's award winning study (800
pages), _Apollo's Ly Greek Music and Music Theory inAntiquity and the
Middle Ages._ It rec'd the Deems Taylor Award from ASCAP, the Kinkeldey
Award from the AMS and the Berry
Award from SMT.

ajn
"Jen Grier" wrote in message
Hello Musicians, Composers, Fellow Students, and Musicologists,

I'm an undergrad student studying ancient Greek music theory in depth for
application to a contemporary performance.

Has anyone written on the subject to a considerable degree? My work is an
Honors Project, much akin to an undergraduate thesis of sorts. I'm
looking
for people to direct me to better sources and comment on my
interpretations
and troubles.

Thank you for reading my inquiry. My apologies for the crosspost.

--
Jen Grier
Composer, Arranger, Saxophonist
http://jengrier.com

Posted to comp.music.research,rec.audio.misc,rec.music.compose,rec.music.early
Roland Hutchinson Roland Hutchinson is offline

Jen Grier wrote:

Hello Musicians, Composers, Fellow Students, and Musicologists,

I'm an undergrad student studying ancient Greek music theory in depth for
application to a contemporary performance.

Has anyone written on the subject to a considerable degree? My work is an
Honors Project, much akin to an undergraduate thesis of sorts. I'm
looking for people to direct me to better sources and comment on my
interpretations and troubles.

There is an extensive literature; as you undoubtedly know (or, if you do
not, as a glance at New Grove, Wikipedia, or any undergraduate music
history textbook would have told you), this has been the subject of
extensive historical research for most of the past millennium.

You don't say what sources you have discovered so far, so it's a little hard
to offer specific advice. For a precis of the current state of knowledge
and pointers to reasonably current work, why not start with the relevant
chapters of the Cambridge History of Western Music Theory, an excellent
recent book by experts in the field (now out in an affordable paperpack
edition, and undoubtedly in your university library as well). If you don't
know it, you should.

Or are you just looking for an expert in the field to advise you?
Again, the Cambridge History can help get you pointed in the right
direction.

--
Roland HutchinsonÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*WillÂ*playÂ* violaÂ*daÂ*gambaÂ*forÂ*food.

NB mail to my.spamtrap [at] verizon.net is heavily filtered to
remove spam.Â*Â*IfÂ*yourÂ*messageÂ*looksÂ*likeÂ*spamÂ*IÂ* mayÂ*notÂ*seeÂ*it.

Posted to comp.music.research,rec.audio.misc,rec.music.compose,rec.music.early
Steve Layton Steve Layton is offline

"Jen Grier" wrote in message
Hello Musicians, Composers, Fellow Students, and Musicologists,

I'm an undergrad student studying ancient Greek music theory in
depth for
application to a contemporary performance.

Has anyone written on the subject to a considerable degree? My work
is an
Honors Project, much akin to an undergraduate thesis of sorts. I'm
looking
for people to direct me to better sources and comment on my
interpretations
and troubles.

Thank you for reading my inquiry. My apologies for the crosspost.

Nancy Sultan made this bibliography:

http://titan.iwu.edu/~classics/music.html

The stuff on there that I've read (like the Comotti), while good,
still leaves me unsatisfied. But that's not so much the fault of the
writers as it is the impossibility of ever recovering much of a solid
picture of what this music truly was.

--
Steve Layton
http://www.niwo.com/steve/

Posted to comp.music.research,rec.audio.misc,rec.music.compose,rec.music.early

"Jen Grier" wrote in message
[...]

Vienna Symphonic Orchestra Pro Performance ( VSL ), EXS24, 27 DVDs, and GIGA, 43 DVDs, and Quantum Leap music tools, 15 DVDs futa General 0 May 5th 05 01:37 PM
Vienna Symphonic Orchestra Pro Performance ( VSL ), EXS24, 27 DVDs, and GIGA, 43 DVDs, and Quantum Leap music tools, 15 DVDs futa Pro Audio 0 May 5th 05 01:37 PM
Turntable report Jenn High End Audio 81 May 2nd 05 03:26 AM
Voluntary Collective Licensing of Music File Sharing Greg Pro Audio 11 September 1st 04 03:29 PM
On the difference between music lovers and audiophiles [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 4 January 9th 04 01:20 PM