Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Rhio Barnhart Rhio Barnhart is offline

Default Bose cabling customization

A friend has an older Bose Lifestyle 5.1 system. The CD changer/tuner
unit had problems, she sent it in to Bose and it was unusable when
returned.

She would like to get another brand 5.1 tuner and continue to use the
Bose speakers, 5 minis and an Accoustimas sub-woofer unit, which are
actually OK.

The problem is that the cable from the original Bose tuner to the
Accoustimas unit has a proprietary multipin DIN type connector on the
tuner end. I have been unable to find an adapter for this particular
plug. A call to Bose informed me that there was nothing made and I was
basically out of luck. There are a number of Bose adapters on the
market, but nothing for this particular cable that I can find.

I could probably cut the cable and solder something up, if I had the pin
assignments for the Bose cable.

This leads to two questions:

Is there actually an adapter, sold by the secret underground audio cable
company, for this situation?

Has anyone ever done this customization successfully who cold give me
some pointers?

Many thanks,
RHB

--
******************************* * * *
Rhio H. Barnhart * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech

"Rhio Barnhart" wrote ...
A friend has an older Bose Lifestyle 5.1 system. The CD changer/tuner
unit had problems, she sent it in to Bose and it was unusable when
returned.

She would like to get another brand 5.1 tuner and continue to use the
Bose speakers, 5 minis and an Accoustimas sub-woofer unit, which are
actually OK.

That is a controversial issue. Bose does not enjoy a
positive reputation in this neighborhood (rec.audio.tech)

The problem is that the cable from the original Bose tuner to the
Accoustimas unit has a proprietary multipin DIN type connector on the
tuner end. I have been unable to find an adapter for this particular
plug. A call to Bose informed me that there was nothing made and I was
basically out of luck. There are a number of Bose adapters on the
market, but nothing for this particular cable that I can find.

I could probably cut the cable and solder something up, if I had the pin
assignments for the Bose cable.

Does the wall power cord go to the subwoofer box, or
to the table-top control unit? Where do the satellite
speakers attach?

Chances are that Bose put the power supply and/or
the power amps in the "subwoofer box" with some
sort of highly-proprietary interconnection scheme.
It is not likely that any documentation has been
published as they like the $$$ from people sending
the stuff back to the mother-ship for "service.

This leads to two questions:

Is there actually an adapter, sold by the secret underground audio cable
company, for this situation?

I would bet against it. Hacking those mass-produced,
plastic consumer things is not considered to be worth
the effort to most people qualified to do it.

Has anyone ever done this customization successfully who cold give me
some pointers?

You might get lucky. Some people customize toasters.

OTOH, recommend considering replacing the Bose stuff
with something reputable.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Rhio Barnhart" wrote ...
[...]

If they need to stay with the small speakers, then answer back the questions
Richard asked.

greg