Posted to rec.audio.misc
Tnguyen Tnguyen is offline

Default MP3 editor

I am using the SoundForge (v8.0) to edit the wav file normally. This version
is also allowed user to edit mp3 file. When open a mp3 file, look like SF is
converting the format to wav and display just as it did with the wav file.
So I think that each time I open, edit and save the file, the quality will
be lost due to conver/re-encode. Does anyone know for sure if this will
affect sound quality or is it harmless? Very much appreciate your comments.

Another program called wavepad. this one behaves the same way as with the SF
when comes to edit the mp3 file.

Tam N.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

"Tnguyen" writes:

I am using the SoundForge (v8.0) to edit the wav file normally. This version
is also allowed user to edit mp3 file. When open a mp3 file, look like SF is
converting the format to wav and display just as it did with the wav file.
So I think that each time I open, edit and save the file, the quality will
be lost due to conver/re-encode.

Yup.

Does anyone know for sure if this will
affect sound quality or is it harmless?

It will. If you're worried about this, you don't use mp3 format at
all until you're ready to publish to the web. If your source is mp3
format, do the decoding once, save it to a wav, and then keep that as
the working copy from there on out, saving as mp3 only when you need a
bandwidth friendly copy to put to the web.

Same goes for JPG files when working with images.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Tnguyen Tnguyen is offline

I was suspect that the case with decode/encode with mp3, but not too sure
about it. Thanks for clarification.

Tam N.