Posted to rec.audio.misc
nss nss is offline

Default Extracting 3 3/4 ips at 7 1/2 ips

I have access to an old r2r deck at a good price which goes at 7 1/2 and
15 ips, but have some old tapes some of which are likely recorded at 3
3/4 ips. Are their any issues/surprises that I should be concerned about
with playing these back at 7 1/2 ips while pulling them into PC software
that will cut the speed in half for me (a la GoldWave or similar)?

Thanks!

NSS
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"NSS" wrote in message

I have access to an old r2r deck at a good price which
goes at 7 1/2 and 15 ips, but have some old tapes some of
which are likely recorded at 3 3/4 ips. Are their any
issues/surprises that I should be concerned about with
playing these back at 7 1/2 ips while pulling them into
PC software that will cut the speed in half for me (a la
GoldWave or similar)?

The equalization very likely will be wrong. Recommend you reassert proper
equalization by one of two means:

1. Play a 3/3/4 FR tape at 7.5 and come up with the complementary curve/

2. Eq with a parametric until it sounds right