John Faughnan

Default Recommendations? Rechargeable AA batteries for portable speakers

I have SONY SRS-T55 travel speakers; I use them with my iPod. They use
4 1.5V batteries, at low volume it will run for 24 hours.

Rather than investing in a power adapter, I'd like to use rechargeable
batteries.

Most of the newer devices on the market are designed for digital
cameras. I'm not sure what would work best for replacing AA batteries
in a device like this. I'd like to buy something that it's reasonably
easy to buy compatible batteries for; preferably an "intelligent"
charger that minimizes memory effects.

Any recommendations in terms of capacity, manufacturer, NiMH, NiCad?

Thanks!

john

[meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, 030829, battery, rechargable,
rechargeable, speakers, NiMH, NiCad, recharger, charger]
Joseph Oberlander

John Faughnan wrote:
I have SONY SRS-T55 travel speakers; I use them with my iPod. They use
4 1.5V batteries, at low volume it will run for 24 hours.

Rather than investing in a power adapter, I'd like to use rechargeable
batteries.

Most of the newer devices on the market are designed for digital
cameras. I'm not sure what would work best for replacing AA batteries
in a device like this. I'd like to buy something that it's reasonably
easy to buy compatible batteries for; preferably an "intelligent"
charger that minimizes memory effects.

Any recommendations in terms of capacity, manufacturer, NiMH, NiCad?

Ray-O-Vac makes their Renewals. Rechargeable alkaline batteries.

Good for about 20 charges or so - full Alkaline performance. $6-$8
a package of four, last I checked. I used two pairs in my Palm Pilot
for two years. Pretty darn cheap solution.

John Faughnan

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"John Faughnan" wrote in message
I have SONY SRS-T55 travel speakers; I use them with my iPod. They use
4 1.5V batteries, at low volume it will run for 24 hours.
Rather than investing in a power adapter, I'd like to use rechargeable
batteries.

In AAs, NimH seems to rule. There are other battery types that are generally
considered to be superior, but they don't apply to AA cell parameters.
Here's some fairly good information about various battery types:
http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm...e&stt=000&arti
cleid=CA64752&pubdate=3/1/01
http://a.parsons.edu/~ylu/full2002/f...xtileResearch/
80211yiming.htm
My friends who go through AA rechargeable at a good clip tell me that the
best around are Maha AA which you can find at sources like this one:
http://www.nimhbattery.com/

Thank you, an excellent posting! I found one great reference:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
(aka: http://tinyurl.com/45nm)

They recommended Maha AA, and also the Lightning Pack 4000N and
JetCell batteries.

I liked the reputation of the RipVan100 Lightning Pack (lifetime
warrantee) and the travel-oriented design so I bought from them. I got
the charger and 12 JetCell (8 as part of a package, 4 as freebies) for
about $40. They're at
http://www.ripvan100.com/products_recharger.htm

In my research I found:

- mAh in this context (NiMH rechargeable) reflects battery life
- it's hard to beat top notch Alkaline non-rechargeable batteries for
power output, but for these speakers that's not relevant (it does
matter for some digital devices).
- Although NiCad has improved, NiMH rules (and is also environmentally
better)
- A smart charger (like the 4000N is a good investment)
- Consumer Reports claims that for most uses this will pay for itself.

So for $20 more than yet another klunky power adapter I get the
rechargeables. The Lightning Pack is designed for travel, but mostly
I'll leave it at home.

Thanks again!

john

[meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, 030831, battery, charger, NiMH,
rechargable, rechargeable, vendors]