Arny Krueger

Default record skipping please help!!

"Lisa" wrote in message
Hello there

I have just boight a secondhand turntable. Its a Rotel RP830 with a
nagaoka MP11 cartridge and new stylus. Records sound great on it, a
real improvement on my old TT, but whenever it gets withing the last
5cm of the record (usually the last or second to last song), it starts
to disctort and then skips. This happens whether the record is an old
boot sale records or brand new unplayed. I have adjusted the
alighnment of the cartridge and it seems better, but is still doing
it. Any ideas?

Sounds like excess friction or other excess side force as the tone arm moves
towards the center of the record.

It could be a problem with the tone-arm's bearings, the arm dragging on the
tone-arm lift, badly-adjusted anti-skating or due to the positioning and
curving of the tonearm's wiring.

Trevor Wilson

"Lisa" wrote in message
m...
Hello there

I have just boight a secondhand turntable. Its a Rotel RP830 with a
nagaoka MP11 cartridge and new stylus. Records sound great on it, a
real improvement on my old TT, but whenever it gets withing the last
5cm of the record (usually the last or second to last song), it starts
to disctort and then skips. This happens whether the record is an old
boot sale records or brand new unplayed. I have adjusted the
alighnment of the cartridge and it seems better, but is still doing
it. Any ideas?

**Have the auto shut off serviced. There is a small lever on the auto shut
off gear. The lubricant hardens with age. The old lubricant needs to be
removed and replaced. Easy enough job.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

need help looking for phonograph / record player sugarcandymountain General 0 July 22nd 04 02:40 PM
Record an audio tape on wave or mp3 format Benoit April General 0 July 10th 04 11:23 PM
Record cleaner and stylus cleaner: recommendations?? Michael Volow General 1 April 14th 04 12:16 AM
MP3 players that record MS General 18 December 5th 03 05:44 PM
Where are those Wascally Weapons of Mass Destwuction??? Jacob Kramer Audio Opinions 1094 September 9th 03 02:20 AM