Posted to rec.audio.pro
MikeShore MikeShore is offline

Default Sound 101 question

I have been in a band for a couple years now, but I am still missing
some basic knowledge. What are mains? What are subs? What is the
difference between powered and unpowered speakers? I have a hundred
more lame questions like this, but if anyone can point me to an
Internet site that explains these basic concepts I would be most
appreciative. Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

MikeShore wrote:
I have been in a band for a couple years now, but I am still missing
some basic knowledge. What are mains? What are subs? What is the
difference between powered and unpowered speakers? I have a hundred
more lame questions like this

You need to hang out with some sound engineers. In lieu of that, the
Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook is a good reference. It'll take you
a couple of years to digest. The answers to those questions might be
simple, but understanding the real meaning takes time and experience.

Under $30 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforc.../dp/0881889008

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
MikeShore wrote:
I have been in a band for a couple years now, but I am still missing
some basic knowledge. What are mains? What are subs? What is the
difference between powered and unpowered speakers? I have a hundred
more lame questions like this, but if anyone can point me to an
Internet site that explains these basic concepts I would be most
appreciative. Thanks!

Go out right now and buy the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook, available
from your local book store and a lot of MI stores too. Probably available
on Amazon. It will answer all of these questions as well as a lot of other
questions that you will think of when you get the answers to those. It is
an excellent, excellent introduction to the whole field.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"MikeShore" wrote in message
I have been in a band for a couple years now, but I am still missing
some basic knowledge. What are mains? What are subs? What is the
difference between powered and unpowered speakers? I have a hundred
more lame questions like this, but if anyone can point me to an
Internet site that explains these basic concepts I would be most
appreciative. Thanks!

What you want isn't really a website, but a book: "Yamaha Sound
Reinforcement Handbook". Available at bookstores, music stores, and online.

Meanwhile, just to answer a few questions:

"Mains" can mean either of two things. In the US, it usually means the main
speakers the audience hears. In the UK, it means the 240V AC lines that you
plug equipment into -- in other words, the wall plug.

"Subs" -- either loudspeakers that handle lower frequencies only, or guys
who show up instead of the drummer.

Unpowered speakers need a power amplifier to drive them. Powered speakers
have the amplifier built into the cabinet.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 10, 11:43*pm, "Paul Stamler" wrote:
"MikeShore" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you to everyone for taking time to answer my question. Looks
like I'll be doing some reading!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline

in addition: http://www.rane.com/library.html lot of good free info here