Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro

Default hearing threshold, was: " Brickwall Limiter Before an ADC"

Eeyore wrote:

Where's your cut-off ?

On September 30 early afternoon local time the threshold was measured at:

Left:

250 500 1000 2000 4000 6000 8000 Hz
15 5 15 25 35 40 65 dB

Right:

250 500 1000 2000 4000 6000 8000 Hz
15 15 20 25 40 45 60 dB

Measurement was with headphones, if any kind of accuracy was the aim then it
should have been repeated say three times and averaged and low frequency
measument was not done no doubt because that ENT's setup does not allow it
due to traffic noise from a nearby motorway.

It took some time for the headphones to settle tightly and measurement
started with the left ear, measurement probably started a bit fast. The
issues with high frequencies are however obvious and a 40 dB threshold shift
at 4 kHz matches my beginning problems with speech intelligibility well.

I can however hear what I am doing when I equalize above 10 kHz in post, a
threshold measument is however not in any way a frequency response
measurement, but I do miss some of the small nature sounds such as rustlign
leaves and mosquitos, I can only hear those when they are real close to the
ear, generally small sounds and silence has been replaced by tinnitus. The
loss of the small sounds bothers me more than the tinnitus .... a lot more.

Crosspost to rec.audio.pro added.

Graham

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
John Connors John Connors is offline

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 20:55:19 +0100, Peter Larsen wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

[...]

Hi Peter!

Your measurements are fairly close to what I had a couple of weeks ago.
I was 40db down at 6k and a little less than you down the range.

I'm 48 years old and I guess all those years of playing in bands and
working in very noisy computer rooms has taken it's toll.

I also have tinnitus which never goes away but is worsened when the weather
is going to get rainy or snowy or if I am under stress.

The tinnitus is about 9k or so and in both ears.

I've learned to live with it and from what I have been told and researched
on my own, our drop at 6k is right in the speech range and typically people
with this problem will have troubles picking out voices in a crowd.
For example sitting around the table in a noisy restaurant.

I have no problem hearing mosquitos etc.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Where's your cut-off ?

On September 30 early afternoon local time the threshold was measured at:

Left:

250 500 1000 2000 4000 6000 8000 Hz
15 5 15 25 35 40 65 dB

Right:

250 500 1000 2000 4000 6000 8000 Hz
15 15 20 25 40 45 60 dB

Measurement was with headphones, if any kind of accuracy was the aim then it
should have been repeated say three times and averaged and low frequency
measument was not done no doubt because that ENT's setup does not allow it
due to traffic noise from a nearby motorway.

It was an official ENT test ? The ones they do here are in phons and when I had
one about age 28 I was on the zero line all the way to 8k too.

It took some time for the headphones to settle tightly and measurement
started with the left ear, measurement probably started a bit fast. The
issues with high frequencies are however obvious and a 40 dB threshold shift
at 4 kHz matches my beginning problems with speech intelligibility well.

I can however hear what I am doing when I equalize above 10 kHz in post, a
threshold measument is however not in any way a frequency response
measurement, but I do miss some of the small nature sounds such as rustlign
leaves and mosquitos, I can only hear those when they are real close to the
ear, generally small sounds and silence has been replaced by tinnitus. The
loss of the small sounds bothers me more than the tinnitus .... a lot more.

I occasionally get a tiny bit of tinnitus, usually in my right ear but not
enough to bother me and can still hear 'curious noises' others totally fail to
notice. Like the rain pattering on the roof for example.

It would be interesting too get another proper booth test done but as you note,
they only go to 8k.

Last time I checked with some DT100s (knackered) on the AP I couldn't hear
anything above 15k. That could easily be the DT100s. I find computer sound cards
typically produce too many artifacts for a sensible test.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

I occasionally get a tiny bit of tinnitus, usually in my right ear but not
enough to bother me and can still hear 'curious noises' others totally fail to
notice. Like the rain pattering on the roof for example.

Interesting, I read once that most tinnitus in the UK is in the right
ear and in the US it is in the left ear.... presumably having to do
with drivers location next to an open car window...

Mark

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Mark wrote:

I occasionally get a tiny bit of tinnitus, usually in my right ear but not
enough to bother me and can still hear 'curious noises' others totally fail to
notice. Like the rain pattering on the roof for example.

Interesting, I read once that most tinnitus in the UK is in the right
ear and in the US it is in the left ear.... presumably having to do
with drivers location next to an open car window...

I suppose that's possible. Never thought of that. But then I don't have that window
open much, I prefer a through draught by having the passenger door window open and
the one behind me. Seems to wok well. At least when the car has got climate control
! ;~)

I did notice on one long commute that my right arm got tanned slightly and my left
didn't !

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Mark wrote:

I occasionally get a tiny bit of tinnitus, usually in my right ear but not
enough to bother me and can still hear 'curious noises' others totally fail to
notice. Like the rain pattering on the roof for example.

Interesting, I read once that most tinnitus in the UK is in the right
ear and in the US it is in the left ear.... presumably having to do
with drivers location next to an open car window...

I suppose that's possible. Never thought of that. But then I don't have that window
open much, I prefer a through draught by having the passenger door window open and
the one behind me. Seems to work well. At least when the car has got climate control
! ;~)

Correction. Only applicable when the car DOESN'T have climate control.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 08:01:19 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

Peter Larsen wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

[...]

My test was done in a booth with in the ear phones and also a microphone
for me to repeat back words spoken during the second part of the test.

It was so quiet in there I could hear my heart pumping!

I actually had 2 tests done at two different places and they both agreed
with each other.

Back when I was about 28, 20 years ago, I could hear up to about 16k or so.
My wife could hear 20k!
Totally unscientific and done on a home studio at the time, but
interesting.

As for tinnitus and which ear, I drive a convertible so maybe that's why
both my ears ring smile!

I know mine is mostly from noisy computer rooms and 25 years of working in
them all day long.
Several of, in fact MANY of my collegues have the same problem and most of
them are not musicians.