Posted to rec.audio.pro
msl msl is offline

Default Please reply if you have a ST Audio DSP3000 (M Port)

I am trying to revive my old DSP3000 to use as extra "emergency"
inputs on my Firestudio. I'm having trouble with the power connector
on the DSP3000. At first I thought it was the typical loose solder
where the connector attaches to the circuit board, but after pulling
the thing apart, those connections seem fine. But, I still have to put
pressure on the power cable to get a good connection. I think it's
because the adapter plug isn't actually filling up the connector. I
bought the unit used years ago and think maybe someone swapped the
power supply. If you have one that you know is the original, can you
please describe it for me?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
msl msl is offline

On Oct 5, 11:48*pm, msl wrote:
I am trying to revive my old DSP3000 to use as extra "emergency"
inputs on my Firestudio. I'm having trouble with the power connector
on the DSP3000. At first I thought it was the typical loose solder
where the connector attaches to the circuit board, but after pulling
the thing apart, those connections seem fine. But, I still have to put
pressure on the power cable to get a good connection. I think it's
because the adapter plug isn't actually filling up the connector. I
bought the unit used years ago and think maybe someone swapped the
power supply. If you have one that you know is the original, can you
please describe it for me?

bump. Sorry I'm desperate and the company doesn't exist anymore.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

msl wrote:
On Oct 5, 11:48=A0pm, msl wrote:
I am trying to revive my old DSP3000 to use as extra "emergency"
inputs on my Firestudio. I'm having trouble with the power connector
on the DSP3000. At first I thought it was the typical loose solder
where the connector attaches to the circuit board, but after pulling
the thing apart, those connections seem fine. But, I still have to put
pressure on the power cable to get a good connection. I think it's
because the adapter plug isn't actually filling up the connector. I
bought the unit used years ago and think maybe someone swapped the
power supply. If you have one that you know is the original, can you
please describe it for me?

bump. Sorry I'm desperate and the company doesn't exist anymore.

A test light held against the connector will tell you. For coaxial
power connectors, either the wire breaks inside the molded boot of the
plug, or the rivet that holds the center pin of the jack goes bad, or
the solder joint holding the jack to the board fails.

The center of the plug should hold a fairly wide variety of size pins,
but a vernier caliper will tell you for sure if it's holding it tight.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 17:33:05 -0700 (PDT), msl
wrote:

On Oct 5, 11:48*pm, msl wrote:
I am trying to revive my old DSP3000 to use as extra "emergency"
inputs on my Firestudio. I'm having trouble with the power connector
on the DSP3000. At first I thought it was the typical loose solder
where the connector attaches to the circuit board, but after pulling
the thing apart, those connections seem fine. But, I still have to put
pressure on the power cable to get a good connection. I think it's
because the adapter plug isn't actually filling up the connector. I
bought the unit used years ago and think maybe someone swapped the
power supply. If you have one that you know is the original, can you
please describe it for me?

bump. Sorry I'm desperate and the company doesn't exist anymore.

This doesn't sound like a showstopper. You can jam a matchstick
between plug and receptacle. Or you can even unsolder it completely
and wire in an alternative means of connection. I don't think it's
likely to affect your warrenty :-)