Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

Default Trident Series 80 Channelstrip

Does anybody have any opinions or even better experiences with the
reconditioned and racked up version of the Trident series 80 channel
modules. The job is done by Cyril Jones of Raindirk and are sold from
Larkings list.
I have a lot of preamps already but this seems like a pretty good deal and
may have the coolness that will make them able to earn their money back.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

HKC wrote:
Does anybody have any opinions or even better experiences with the
reconditioned and racked up version of the Trident series 80 channel
modules. The job is done by Cyril Jones of Raindirk and are sold from
Larkings list.
I have a lot of preamps already but this seems like a pretty good deal and
may have the coolness that will make them able to earn their money back.

I'm not sure, but I have mixed on plenty of Series 80 consoles and
they are just fine. The EQ is a little crude and the preamps are not
the most transparent thing around, but if someone is offering you some
channel strips cheap you might as well try them.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

They aren't really cheap, they cost around 1800 dollars including .shipping
and taxes. It's two channels that have been put into a 2 unit rack case. Of
course they are way cheaper than the Oram reissues which is 3 times as
expensive but I wouldn't consider 987 pounds cheap.¨

"Scott Dorsey" skrev i en meddelelse
HKC wrote:
Does anybody have any opinions or even better experiences with the
reconditioned and racked up version of the Trident series 80 channel
modules. The job is done by Cyril Jones of Raindirk and are sold from
Larkings list.
I have a lot of preamps already but this seems like a pretty good deal and
may have the coolness that will make them able to earn their money back.

I'm not sure, but I have mixed on plenty of Series 80 consoles and
they are just fine. The EQ is a little crude and the preamps are not
the most transparent thing around, but if someone is offering you some
channel strips cheap you might as well try them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

HKC wrote:
They aren't really cheap, they cost around 1800 dollars including .shipping
and taxes. It's two channels that have been put into a 2 unit rack case. Of
course they are way cheaper than the Oram reissues which is 3 times as
expensive but I wouldn't consider 987 pounds cheap.¨

That's a crazy amount of money for a channel strip that some butcher has
ripped out of a perfectly good mixing console. It's an even more crazy
amount of money for one they have ripped out of a not-good console.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

HKC wrote:

Does anybody have any opinions or even better experiences with the
reconditioned and racked up version of the Trident series 80 channel
modules. The job is done by Cyril Jones of Raindirk and are sold from
Larkings list.

I don't want to say anything that might be taken as libel so I'll pass on that
nor will I mention wh I'm referring to.

I have a lot of preamps already but this seems like a pretty good deal and
may have the coolness that will make them able to earn their money back.

Tridents were often utter crap.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

HKC wrote:

They aren't really cheap, they cost around 1800 dollars

Ripoff. Talk to Funky Junk (Google) and see what they can do. Tridents were
never much better than MI consoles and some had really agricultural circuitry in
them.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

HKC wrote:
They aren't really cheap, they cost around 1800 dollars including .shipping
and taxes. It's two channels that have been put into a 2 unit rack case. Of
course they are way cheaper than the Oram reissues which is 3 times as
expensive but I wouldn't consider 987 pounds cheap.¨

That's a crazy amount of money for a channel strip that some butcher has
ripped out of a perfectly good mixing console. It's an even more crazy
amount of money for one they have ripped out of a not-good console.

I wouldn't deal with Oram either.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

HKC wrote:

I thought you would say that but Orams version of it costs 3000 pounds.

Mansions cost a lot of money ! It's JUNK.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro

HKC wrote:
I thought you would say that but Orams version of it costs 3000 pounds.

Well, sure, because they can charge that much for it. The question is whether
it sounds any better than something that you can get for a lot less. And that
is something only you can answer for yourself.

At that price, you can get a very nice preamp and a very nice equalizer.
Consider the John Hardy and the Great River for example. It won't sound
like a Series 80, but that is not a bad thing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll pass on this one. I had a record deal
when I was only 18-19 years old and we recorded on a Trident which I have
very fond memories of. Apparently I am getting having a good time and
getting as nice sound confused. I already have some very nice preamps (Grace
m201, Drawmer 1969, TLA VP2051 etc) and a refurbished Soundcraft Sapphyre so
I don't need this one by any standards. I just thought that it was fairly
cheap compared to the Oram which by the way got good reviews.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

HKC wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll pass on this one. I had a record deal
when I was only 18-19 years old and we recorded on a Trident which I have
very fond memories of. Apparently I am getting having a good time and
getting as nice sound confused. I already have some very nice preamps (Grace
m201, Drawmer 1969, TLA VP2051 etc) and a refurbished Soundcraft Sapphyre so
I don't need this one by any standards. I just thought that it was fairly
cheap compared to the Oram which by the way got good reviews.

Do you want to know what some industry experts think of John Oram ?

Self-opinonated self-aggrandising PRICK would sum it up nicely. And as for him
'inventing' the British EQ I could tell you a few things about that ****.

If you just want a lovely channel strip why not pick a nice Neve one ? Geoff
Tanner (old colleague of mine) does retro versions and repackaged I think in the
USA. Aurora Audio IIRC. Google will find it.

Mention me (Graham Stevenson) to him. Say I sent you.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

HKC wrote:

which by the way got good reviews.

I've seen hi-fi gear get good reviews too and turn out to be utter crap.

In what magazines ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

If you really want the Trident sound, try the new Little Labs LMNOPre. It
uses an input transformer that's supposed to be a clone of the one in the
Trident. It has the same "air band" ultrasonic peak.

What's cool is that you can rig up a much-less-colored input transformer
like a Jensen in a little gray box with a 5-pin XLR connector and switch to
that transformer by pressing a button (admittedly one that you have to
access from the rear with a screwdriver). That way you get to choose a
colored or neutral preamp.

And as a bonus, you get the In-Between-Phase doohickey built in.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
HKC wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll pass on this one. I had a record deal
when I was only 18-19 years old and we recorded on a Trident which I have
very fond memories of. Apparently I am getting having a good time and
getting as nice sound confused. I already have some very nice preamps (Grace
m201, Drawmer 1969, TLA VP2051 etc) and a refurbished Soundcraft Sapphyre so
I don't need this one by any standards. I just thought that it was fairly
cheap compared to the Oram which by the way got good reviews.

The old Trident is a perfectly serviceable budget console. There are plenty
of better consoles out there, but it was cheap and it did the job.

That's not enough to make me want to pay crazy money for it, mind you, but
you can get good results mixing on one and you don't have to fight quite
so much as with a Mackie, say.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 9, 2:14 am, "Paul Stamler" wrote:
If you really want the Trident sound, try the new Little Labs LMNOPre.

The LMNOPre is a little more expensive than what he had in mind, I
think, but Geoff Daking, who's been making a Trident sound-alike
preamp module and housing for years, now has a single-channel stand-
alone preamp for, if I remember correctly, about a grand.

By the way, Paul, I met a few of your students at the AES show (over
free beer, of course). How come they can afford to come to the show
and you can't? Scholarships? g
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 2:14 am, "Paul Stamler" wrote:
If you really want the Trident sound, try the new Little Labs LMNOPre.

The LMNOPre is a little more expensive than what he had in mind, I
think, but Geoff Daking, who's been making a Trident sound-alike
preamp module and housing for years, now has a single-channel stand-
alone preamp for, if I remember correctly, about a grand.

By the way, Paul, I met a few of your students at the AES show (over
free beer, of course). How come they can afford to come to the show
and you can't? Scholarships? g

Partly, yes; the university picks up a chunk of the travel tab. They don't
for me.

My basic policy is now to go to AES only when I have relatives in town that
I can stay with. So I'll probably be in New York next year, where my dad and
stepmom have an apartment, and maybe LA the year after, where I have two
cousins. Even with that, the (steeply) rising cost of airfare makes it iffy.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

"Eeyore" skrev i en meddelelse

If you just want a lovely channel strip why not pick a nice Neve one ?
Geoff
Tanner (old colleague of mine) does retro versions and repackaged I think
in the
USA. Aurora Audio IIRC. Google will find it.

It looks nice especially the one that includes the compressor. I did read
in an article that Neve himself weren't so impressed with all those channel
strips that used his name but of course he may have hinted at the financial
side of it.
It's not exactly cheap, costing $2695 but of course if it's as good as the
company promises it's just in the same price league as all the other high
end channelstrips.