Posted to rec.audio.pro
Max Arwood Max Arwood is offline

Default Church Mixer help

I know this is not exactly the right place to post this, but I have been
reading this board for years and know that there are knowledgeable people
about almost anything to do with audio so....

My church is looking to replace our Mackie 24-4 with a new mixer. Ever since
lightening struck it a few years ago it has been in and out of the shop. We
are tired of the hassles. I have been looking at 2 boards so far. The Allen
& Heath GL2400-24 @$2000 and the Soundcraft GB4-24 @$3500.

1) Any other mixers in this price range I should look at?
2) Any preference on these two?
3) Anything else?

TIA
Max Arwood

Posted to rec.audio.pro
featherfoot featherfoot is offline

On Oct 3, 2:40*pm, "Max Arwood" wrote:
I know this is not exactly the right place to post this, but I have been
reading this board for years and know that there are knowledgeable people
about almost anything to do with audio so....

My church is looking to replace our Mackie 24-4 with a new mixer. Ever since
lightening struck it a few years ago it has been in and out of the shop. We
are tired of the hassles. *I have been looking at 2 boards so far. The Allen
& Heath GL2400-24 @$2000 and the Soundcraft GB4-24 @$3500.

1) Any other mixers in this price range I should look at?
2) Any preference on these two?
3) Anything else?

TIA
Max Arwood

The A&H IS A GREAT CHURCH MIXER LOTS OF AUX AND MATRIX WE'VE HAD ONE
AT OUR CHURCH SINCE THEY CAME OUT NO PROBLEMS
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"featherfoot" wrote in message
[...]

Featherfoot, please don't type in capitals, otherwise IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE
SHOUTING!!!!!

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Max Arwood wrote:

I know this is not exactly the right place to post this, but I have been
reading this board for years and know that there are knowledgeable people
about almost anything to do with audio so....

My church is looking to replace our Mackie 24-4 with a new mixer. Ever since
lightening struck it a few years ago it has been in and out of the shop. We
are tired of the hassles. I have been looking at 2 boards so far. The Allen
& Heath GL2400-24 @$2000 and the Soundcraft GB4-24 @$3500.

1) Any other mixers in this price range I should look at?
2) Any preference on these two?
3) Anything else?

If the church has been satisfied with that Mackie, either of those
boards will more than satisfy. For the difference in money I'd say go
with the A&H.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Max Arwood wrote:

[...]

I do like those Soundcrafts but I was thinking the same thing. That's quite
a difference in almost the same board.(or is it?)
Thanks,
Max Arwood

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Max Arwood Max Arwood is offline

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
om...

[...]

THANKS FOR THE REPLY!!!!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME OK? G
Max Arwood

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

THANKS FEATHERFOOT
CAN YOU HEAR ME OK?
Max Arwood

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

Max Arwood wrote:

[...]

But also spend an hour or so playing with the boards and finding out which
one has the ergonomics you like. Sometimes that's worth paying extra for.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
featherfoot featherfoot is offline

On Oct 3, 4:05*pm, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
[...]

Gareth.- Hide quoted text -

sorry senior momemnt

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Oct 3, 3:05*pm, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
[...]

Maybe he's far away and wants to be sure we heard him!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline

"Max Arwood" wrote in message
I know this is not exactly the right place to post this, but I have been
reading this board for years and know that there are knowledgeable people
about almost anything to do with audio so....

My church is looking to replace our Mackie 24-4 with a new mixer. Ever

since
lightening struck it a few years ago it has been in and out of the shop.

We
are tired of the hassles. I have been looking at 2 boards so far. The

Allen
& Heath GL2400-24 @$2000 and the Soundcraft GB4-24 @$3500.

1) Any other mixers in this price range I should look at?
2) Any preference on these two?
3) Anything else?

TIA
Max Arwood

check out the Peavey scancuary series.
http://www.sanctuary-series.com/mixers/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik Ron Capik is offline

wrote:
[...]

I must be going deaf. I didn't hear anything.

LATER...

RON CAPIK

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Max Arwood Max Arwood is offline

Thanks Paul, I have to drive about an hour to get to Memphis to play with
both boards. I like Soundcraft alot, but don't know if my church would pay
that much more or not. I will be especially looking at the Allen Heath,
which I know very little about.

Max Arwood

Max Arwood wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Max Arwood wrote:
My church is looking to replace our Mackie 24-4 with a new mixer. Ever since
lightening struck it a few years ago it has been in and out of the shop. We
are tired of the hassles. I have been looking at 2 boards so far. The Allen
& Heath GL2400-24 @$2000 and the Soundcraft GB4-24 @$3500.

1) Any other mixers in this price range I should look at?

You could look at the Mackie Onyx series, which is a big step up from
the awful SR consoles.

You could also look at the Yamahas, or consider stretching your budget a
bit for the baby Crest or the APB Dynasonics console... they are a lot more
solid and the up-front cost is higher but the long-term operating cost will
be reduced.

2) Any preference on these two?

I personally would pick the A&H because I like the layout and the way the
muting works more than the Soundcraft, but both are perfectly fine consoles
and you'll be happy with either.

3) Anything else?

The limiting factor in the church gigs is usually the operator, and so get
something the operators are going to be relatively familiar with and which
is easy to operate. The fancy routing features on the Mackie just cause
trouble with novice users.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

wrote:
[...]

Not even the voices in your head? :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Max Arwood Max Arwood is offline

Thanks Scott. I think the church is going to go with the 32 channel version
of one of these. Which makes the price almost the same.

http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/LX7ii-32/
http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/GL2400-32/

Max Arwood