Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

Default Looking for a decent 8 channel mic pre

I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an existing
unit (used for vocals)

Possible contenders a
o Focusrite ISA 828
o Edax Audio Lab MP800
o Audient ASP 008
o RME Micstacy

A to D is not required as a built in feature/option as the pre being
replaced already feeds into an RME ADI-8.
Has anyone got experience/comments with any of these units, particularly
the Edax or the Audient?

Any other recommendations that work out to around £250 ($450) per channel?

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata Anahata is offline

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:29:22 +0100, Chris Whealy wrote:

I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an existing
unit (used for vocals)
[...]
Any other recommendations that work out to around £250 ($450) per
channel?

Chris W

http://www.davelectronics.com/bg8.htm

You have to email or call Mick for a quote. Highly thought of by the few
who know about them. I have a BG-1 (2 channels)

--
Anahata
==//== 01638 720444

Posted to rec.audio.pro
soundhaspriority soundhaspriority is offline

"Chris Whealy" wrote in message
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an existing
unit (used for vocals)

Possible contenders a
o Focusrite ISA 828
o Edax Audio Lab MP800
o Audient ASP 008
o RME Micstacy

A to D is not required as a built in feature/option as the pre being
replaced already feeds into an RME ADI-8.
Has anyone got experience/comments with any of these units, particularly
the Edax or the Audient?

Any other recommendations that work out to around £250 ($450) per channel?

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---

You're leaving out the Octopre, a Class A preamp at about $90/channel. A
very, very fine unit. OTOH, it is not sound-altering, the desire for which
may be reflected in your list.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

Chris Whealy wrote:
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an existing
unit (used for vocals)

Do you really need 8 channels just for vocals??

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an
existing unit (used for vocals)

Do you really need 8 channels just for vocals??

Cheers

Ian

Yes - 8 singers, individual mics, live performance

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

"Chris Whealy" wrote in message
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an existing
unit (used for vocals)

Possible contenders a
o Focusrite ISA 828
o Edax Audio Lab MP800
o Audient ASP 008
o RME Micstacy

A to D is not required as a built in feature/option as the pre being
replaced already feeds into an RME ADI-8.
Has anyone got experience/comments with any of these units, particularly
the Edax or the Audient?

Any other recommendations that work out to around £250 ($450) per channel?

The obligatory "if you can stretch your budget a bit" recommendation:

Aphex 1788a

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Soundhaspriority wrote:
[...]

I have heard mixed reviews of that pre. Some love it, some hate it.
I think with the Octopre, Focusrite aimed for a price point in the
market, and consequently, it won't have the quality parts that units in
their Red or ISA range have.

I'm already using an ISA 828 which is excellent, and I'd be very
surprised if Focusrite made a "budget" pre that offered serious
competition to one of their own products in a higher range.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro

David Grant wrote:
"Chris Whealy" wrote in message

I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an existing
unit (used for vocals)

Possible contenders a
o Focusrite ISA 828
o Edax Audio Lab MP800
o Audient ASP 008
o RME Micstacy

A to D is not required as a built in feature/option as the pre being
replaced already feeds into an RME ADI-8.
Has anyone got experience/comments with any of these units, particularly
the Edax or the Audient?

Any other recommendations that work out to around £250 ($450) per channel?

The obligatory "if you can stretch your budget a bit" recommendation:

Aphex 1788a

Very nice too, but I can't stretch my budget beyond its elastic limit! :-)

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Goran Stojiljkovic wrote:
Im just bought Shadow Hills Gamma8.....

That looks pretty nice, but I can't find out much information on that unit.
http://www.shadowhillsindustries.com does not mention it, neither does
http://vintageking.com

You're in Croatia right? Where did you get from, and was it second hand?
Can't find a supplier here in the UK though.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

anahata wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:29:22 +0100, Chris Whealy wrote:

I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an existing
unit (used for vocals)
[...]
Any other recommendations that work out to around £250 ($450) per
channel?

Chris W

http://www.davelectronics.com/bg8.htm

You have to email or call Mick for a quote. Highly thought of by the few
who know about them. I have a BG-1 (2 channels)

Thanks, I'll mail him for some details...

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Soundhaspriority wrote:
[...]

I've had it apart, and the quality of the parts is excellent. Lots of Wima
caps.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Soundhaspriority wrote:

[...]

OK, I'll take your word for that. But I am still wondering why
Focusrite would compete against themselves given that in the UK, the
basic Octopre LE goes for around £250, but the ISA 828 is £1500.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Soundhaspriority wrote:

[...]

The ISA828 uses transformers. The Octorpre does not. The world is divided
into two groups: those who want a particular sound, and those who want
ultimate accuracy. No one who records vocals wants accuracy, which explains
why mostly large diaphragm mikes and transformer based pres are used.

OTOH, the people who record symphony orchestras, classical ensembles, etc.
want to capture as much detail as they can. They deride terms such as
"warmth", or "presence." They usually spend a great deal of money on pres,
but their choices, Millenia or Grace, do not use transformers. The Octopre
is an attempt to come close to the standard these pres have established for
the particular category of transformerless pres.

The best reason you would have for not buying an Octopre is that you want
your recordings to sound good. Practically anyone's voice can be improved
with the right electronics, so why leave it alone?

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Goran Stojiljkovic Goran Stojiljkovic is offline

second hand...5500 $ in USA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

On Oct 1, 9:29 am, Chris Whealy wrote:
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an existing
unit (used for vocals)

Possible contenders a
o Focusrite ISA 828
o Edax Audio Lab MP800
o Audient ASP 008
o RME Micstacy

A to D is not required as a built in feature/option as the pre being
replaced already feeds into an RME ADI-8.
Has anyone got experience/comments with any of these units, particularly
the Edax or the Audient?

Any other recommendations that work out to around £250 ($450) per channel?

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---

I recently acquired a TRUE precision 8 and I'm very pleased with it.
it sounds very natural and transparent, and the high end is very
smooth. It isn't as detailed as the millennia hv3, but it's plenty
detailed and I wouldn't hesitate to use it as my only pre. I like it
better than the rnp and I'm very fond of the rnp.

I have no experience with any of those that you mention, but the dav
and the audient both are in the same price range and are popular
units.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an
existing unit (used for vocals)

Do you really need 8 channels just for vocals??

Cheers

Ian

Yes - 8 singers, individual mics, live performance

Chris W

Wow. OK, if it is live then I would suggest you look for one with built
in compressors.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an
existing unit (used for vocals)

Do you really need 8 channels just for vocals??

Cheers

Ian

Yes - 8 singers, individual mics, live performance

Chris W

Wow. OK, if it is live then I would suggest you look for one with
built in compressors.

Cheers

Ian

Yes, I've thought of that. I am generally leaning in that direction
because at the moment, all the compression is happening in a Yamaha 02R
- which is OK, but the more I use outboard pres and compressors, the
less I like the pres and compressors in the 02R.

A unit like the Edax Audio Lab Max 800 looks suitable, but it would be
nice to talk to someone who already has one. The unit is also pretty
close to my budget's elastic limit!

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an
existing unit (used for vocals)

Do you really need 8 channels just for vocals??

Cheers

Ian

Yes - 8 singers, individual mics, live performance

Wow. OK, if it is live then I would suggest you look for one with built
in compressors.

If he will be feeding a 24 bit system the compressors are unnecessary.
If he needs to massage dynamic range he can do it later in far better
monitoring circumstances absent the pressure of a live performance
timeline.

Here are links to info about two well-regarded boxes:

True Precision 8
http://www.true-systems.com/products_P8.html

ATI 8MX2
http://www.apiaudio.com/8mx2.html

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chris Whealy wrote:

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
[...]

It is unlikely that the compression in an 8-channel single-rackspace mic
preamp will be any better than that in the O2R. Now, if you want to
spring for a Cranesong Spider, blowing the size and budget, you'll
probably prefer its peak limiting to the compression of the Yamaha
board.

http://www.cranesong.com/spider.html

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Chris Whealy wrote:

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Chris Whealy wrote:

[...]

Now you're just being unfair.... :-)
I dare say I would prefer a Cranesong Spider, and it is undoubtedly a
superb piece of kit, but it comes in at over £600 / channel....

What I'm looking for is a good 8 channel, vocal pre amp that comes in at
no more than (absolute tops) £275 / channel.
I already have an RME ADI-8 A to D so that feature is not needed. The
signal then goes into an 02R and then via some MOTU 2408 MkIII's into a
Mac Pro running Logic.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still looking...

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:
If he needs to massage dynamic range he can do it later in far better monitoring circumstances absent the pressure of a live performance timeline.

Here are links to info about two well-regarded boxes:

True Precision 8
http://www.true-systems.com/products_P8.html

ATI 8MX2
http://www.apiaudio.com/8mx2.html

If he will be feeding a 24 bit system the compressors are unnecessary.

Thinking about it, built in compression is a nice feature for a more
controlled studio environment, but during a live performance where
anything can (and usually does) happen, I don't want to have to 1)
noodle around with compressor settings and 2) risk recording the vocal
channel with compression that, after the event, I think isn't what I
really wanted.

Most of the time, I try to record vocals without compression, but this
does not always work. We have one singer who (when he gets warmed up)
can almost generate line level directly out of the microphone... :-O

At the moment True does not list a UK distributor.
The ATI 8MX2 also looks good.

Thanks for the suggestions, still investigating

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
[...]

Given its list price it would be an expensive mistake but it does seem
to do a lot for the money. I think I would be tempted to hire one for a
week to find out if it were right for me.

Good Luck

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an
existing unit (used for vocals)
Do you really need 8 channels just for vocals??

Cheers

Ian
Yes - 8 singers, individual mics, live performance

Wow. OK, if it is live then I would suggest you look for one with built
in compressors.

If he will be feeding a 24 bit system the compressors are unnecessary.

I disagree. The 24 bit noise floor is not the limiting factor.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an
existing unit (used for vocals)
Do you really need 8 channels just for vocals??

Cheers

Ian
Yes - 8 singers, individual mics, live performance

Wow. OK, if it is live then I would suggest you look for one with built
in compressors.

If he will be feeding a 24 bit system the compressors are unnecessary.

I disagree. The 24 bit noise floor is not the limiting factor.

I agree: the noise floor is so far below even a drastically reduced peak
level that it can be disregarded.

The dynamic range of the vocals will come nowhere near the dynamic range
available in a 24 bit system. I currently leave about 20 dB headroom
when tracking, having finally gotten over my analog habits, and I am far
more happy with my digital recordings than ever before.

In the pressure of live tracking it is far more likely that one will
screw-up the compression and have no way to undo it later. Further, a
bunch of comps in a single rack space at the budget he has are not going
to be better comps than those in the Yammie.

If one needed to push the levels, peak limiters would be far more
sensible than compressors. But in this case, there is no point in
pushing the levels. There is nothing to gain and lots to lose.

Much heavier hitters than I suggest what I am suggesting:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ind...t/15038/17098/

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Moshe Goldfarb. Moshe Goldfarb. is offline

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:59:25 -0700, hank alrich wrote:

The dynamic range of the vocals will come nowhere near the dynamic range
available in a 24 bit system.

I'll bet Linda Ronstadt or Ethel Merman could come close

I agree with you though....

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
I'm looking for a single unit 8 channel mic pre to replace an
existing unit (used for vocals)
Do you really need 8 channels just for vocals??

Cheers

Ian
Yes - 8 singers, individual mics, live performance
Wow. OK, if it is live then I would suggest you look for one with built
in compressors.
If he will be feeding a 24 bit system the compressors are unnecessary.

I disagree. The 24 bit noise floor is not the limiting factor.

I agree: the noise floor is so far below even a drastically reduced peak
level that it can be disregarded.

Precisely. The problem is the noise floor of the analog system preceding it.

The dynamic range of the vocals will come nowhere near the dynamic range
available in a 24 bit system. I currently leave about 20 dB headroom
when tracking, having finally gotten over my analog habits, and I am far
more happy with my digital recordings than ever before.

Agree, the noise floor of the analogue system is the problem.

In the pressure of live tracking it is far more likely that one will
screw-up the compression and have no way to undo it later. Further, a
bunch of comps in a single rack space at the budget he has are not going
to be better comps than those in the Yammie.

If you don't use compression then either the S/N ratio of the analogue
system is compromised on quiet passages or its headroom is compromised
on load ones.

If one needed to push the levels, peak limiters would be far more
sensible than compressors. But in this case, there is no point in
pushing the levels. There is nothing to gain and lots to lose.

I disagree. The noise floor of the analogue system is the limiting
factor and so you need to keep as far above it as you can.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 20:22:27 -0400, "Moshe Goldfarb."
wrote:

The dynamic range of the vocals will come nowhere near the dynamic range
available in a 24 bit system.

I'll bet Linda Ronstadt or Ethel Merman could come close

Actually, I bet they couldn't. Have you got any numbers?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
[...]

If the only analog component upstream is the mic pre, and if that's the
noise source, the mic pre is seriously compromised. It's certainly not a
problem with anything decent, and I don't mean it has to be be Great
River or Millennia class.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

wrote:

The dynamic range of the vocals will come nowhere near the dynamic
range
available in a 24 bit system.
I'll bet Linda Ronstadt or Ethel Merman could come close

Actually, I bet they couldn't. Have you got any numbers?

The noise floor of good microphones is at about 10dB. Breathing, and I
assume most singers do, will give you 15-25dB, or more at short
distance. The peaks of a professional opera singer are 110-120dB at
short distance. That gives you a dynamic range of about 16 bits worst case.

Close miking an opera singer doesn't seem very natural to me.

Seems dangerous, too The additional 8 bits gives you 48
dB of headroom to play with. Not a bad thing at all - pretty
much a guarantee of "no overs".

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
genericaudioperson genericaudioperson is offline

Millennia Media. If you buy enough channels, it will still be over
your per-channel budget. But it will be in range. And then you will
have without question a top-quality preamp setup.

http://www.mil-media.com/hv-3d.html
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ray Thomas[_2_] Ray Thomas[_2_] is offline

"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
hank alrich wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

Chris Whealy wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
[...]

This is definitely worth investigating...do a google search for reviews on
Gearslutz, etc and you'll see it has earned much respect:
http://www.davelectronics.com/bg8.htm and
http://www.davelectronics.com/index.htm

Ray