Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

Default Recommendations for a simple very portable digital recorder

Hello,

A local radio show host wishes to post his weekly programs on the web
and needs some easy way to record his show. A digital recorder is an
obvious option and has the advantage that the recording will already
be digitized. He wants something that is simple to use and easily
carried and easy to read since his near vision is a bit limited. A
Zoom H2 might be a good choice but is overkill here and probably too
complicated for what is needed. Recording quality is not a primary
concern here either since the resulting files will need to be
compressed to something like 64kb/s mp3. Also, it would be helpful if
Guitar Center carries the unit so he could try it out in the store.

Thanks in advance,

jwvm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Oct 5, 4:54*pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"jwvm" wrote in message

Hello,

A local radio show host wishes to post his weekly programs on the web
and needs some easy way to record his show. A digital recorder is an
obvious option and has the advantage that the recording will already
be digitized. He wants something that is simple to use and easily
carried and easy to read since his near vision is a bit limited. A
Zoom H2 might be a good choice but is overkill here and probably too
complicated for what is needed. Recording quality is not a primary
concern here either since the resulting files will need to be
compressed to something like 64kb/s mp3. Also, it would be helpful if
Guitar Center carries the unit so he could try it out in the store.

Thanks in advance,

jwvm

Would a usb mike, or a usb mike converter be within consideration?

Seehttp://mxlmics.com/accessories/accessories.html
* and *http://www.mxl-usb.com/

These choices are likely to make his voice sound better than the mike in a
cheap flash recorder. The quality can be important to a radio host,
regardless of the compression level. *He can use the Microsoft built-in
accessory program, "sound recorder", and convert to mpg3 with WinLame.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Actually, he plays recorded tracks and has phone interviews so it is
necessary to record the feed. Thanks for the suggestion.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Both my iRiver H120 and Palm T3 have voice recordners. Both have jacks for
external mics; all this person would need would be a cable and a simple
attenuator.

My point is that there's lot of stuff out there, including any number of
inexpensive Sony and Olympus digital recorders.

What about the sound card on his computer? Doesn't the computer have some
way of recording a line-level signal?

Come on. This is a trivial question with an inexpensive solution that the OP
probably has right in front of him, and he doesn't know it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Oct 5, 7:45*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
Both my iRiver H120 and Palm T3 have voice recordners. Both have jacks for
external mics; all this person would need would be a cable and a simple
attenuator.

My point is that there's lot of stuff out there, including any number of
inexpensive Sony and Olympus digital recorders.

What about the sound card on his computer? Doesn't the computer have some
way of recording a line-level signal?

Come on. This is a trivial question with an inexpensive solution that the OP
probably has right in front of him, and he doesn't know it.

The problem here is that the end user has very limited patience with
high-tech equipment. He is comfortable with basic operations of a
minidisc but they are obsolete and have reliability issues. He managed
to break the one that I loaned him. I would expect that there are
digital recorders that are similarly simple to use and nearly
indestructible. From a previous evaluation, I have found that voice
recorders don't provide adequate quality for music. Some Sony units
apparently can record music with reasonable fidelity, but not having
used any of them, I have no idea how easy they are to use ir how
readable the display is.

I agree that the basic question is trivial and there are many
solutions but the end user is cantankerous and has little patience.
What is needed here is a very easy-to-use recorder.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Oct 5, 6:57*pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"jwvm" wrote in message

On Oct 5, 4:54 pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:

ship

I wish I could make a specific recommendation, *but take note of the
following:

1. Even if the end product is low bitrate, the quality of the analog front
end of the recorder does matter to some extent. The artifacts of compression
do not mask the artifacts of classical distortion.

Agreed.

2. The broadcast feed is compressed, probably through an Orban appliance. A
low end recorder intended for voice use typically has automatic volume
control. This is a double dose of compression, which is extremely
undesirable. The recorder you choose must have the option of recording with
manual level control/no AVC.

Agreed.

3. Since the cheapest recorders are intended for voice dictation, you may
find nothing below a certain price point. I don't know exactly what it would
be. I did a quick B&H search for "professional flash recorders", which you
can view hehttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...h&A=search&Q=&...
which bottoms out at $225.

I see one consumer level stand-alone device that may be suitable, the Ikey
at $120:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...udio_IKEYPLUS_...

Voice-only recorders are very unlikely to have sufficient fidelity.
Either or both of your links may be perfect here but they need to be
really easy to use and have a good display. This is why I was hoping
to hear opinions from actual users.

If he were willing to use the Windows application, "Sound Recorder", the ADS
RX-150 at $40 might be ideal:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...chnologies_RDX...

I am not sure that he should use a computer but that is certainly a
possibility. Thanks for your time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

What is needed is a change in his attitude. I have little patience with
people who want great results without having to put out any effort to get
them. I would tell the guy "Tough. If won't make the effort to learn how to
use a decent recorder, I can't help you." And then do an Alton Brown:
"Just... walk away."

Posted to rec.audio.pro
philper philper is offline

wrote:

[...]

One of the higher end voice recorders, I'd say. Set it up for him,
show him how to turn it on and how to record and stop. If he won't
learn any mor ethen you'll have to download the files for him.

Philip Perkins
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"jwvm" wrote ...
I agree that the basic question is trivial and there are many
solutions but the end user is cantankerous and has little patience.
What is needed here is a very easy-to-use recorder.

If he is that irascible, then just have someone record it off the
air for him. I have no extra patience to deal with people who
seem to have none of their own.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fran Guidry Fran Guidry is offline

wrote:

[...]

The Zoom H2 is a three push recording system. Press the record button
to go into standby, press record to record, press record to stop
recording. Hard to get much simpler than that.

The issue I (and others) have run into is the -10db line inputs, with
no input level control and not much headroom. I found an attenuator
http://www.electronicplus.com/prodSe...&Submit=Search
that patches in easily and feels like it will last a while.

Read this thread for a discussion of the line level recording issue:
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtop...+input&start=0

Fran
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

wrote:

[...]

That sounds good. How readable is the display? The show host has
problems reading small print.

The issue I (and others) have run into is the -10db line inputs, with
no input level control and not much headroom. I found an attenuatorhttp://www.electronicplus.com/prodSearch.asp?prod_search=10-105&Submi...
that patches in easily and feels like it will last a while.

Line level is not a problem. The only available feed is through a four-
output headphone amplifier. Each output has a level control.

Thanks for your comments!

Read this thread for a discussion of the line level recording issue:http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtop...days=0&postord...

Fran

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Oct 6, 12:37*am, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
Does he have an Ipod?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Belkin-G...udio-Recorder-...

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Sadly no. :-(
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 5, 3:44 pm, jwvm wrote:

Zoom H2 might be a good choice but is overkill here and probably too
complicated for what is needed.

For $200, you don't get much choice about what features are NOT
included. How much less complicated does it need to be than pushing
the red button twice to record and once again to stop recording? Of
course he (or someone with an inkling of technical knowledge) will
have to set it up for him once and make the connections, but if he
can't handle recording, well, there are probably plenty of 12 year old
kids who would be happy to do it for him for about $50 a show.

The only caution here is that, depending on how he's feeding the
recorder (assuming it's going to be an electrical connection and he's
just not going to set it in front of him and record with the built-in
mics) it may be necessary to put an attenuator between the console
output and the recorder's line input.

Guitar Center carries the unit so he could try it out in the store.

I don't believe that Guitar Center carries the Zoom line, but they
have several others. He should definitely get his hands on one or a
few if he's afraid of technology. The TASCAM DR-1 is pretty simple to
operate if he keeps away from the menus. The Sony PCM-D50 is probably
the best of the batch below $500, but given the application, compared
to the Zoom, THAT would be overkill.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

jwvm wrote:

A local radio show host wishes to post his weekly programs on the web
and needs some easy way to record his show. A digital recorder is an
obvious option and has the advantage that the recording will already
be digitized. He wants something that is simple to use and easily
carried and easy to read since his near vision is a bit limited. A
Zoom H2 might be a good choice but is overkill here and probably too
complicated for what is needed. Recording quality is not a primary
concern here either since the resulting files will need to be
compressed to something like 64kb/s mp3. Also, it would be helpful if
Guitar Center carries the unit so he could try it out in the store.

The radio station doesn't have a recorder in the rack in the air studio?
Record a CD-R on air, rip it to MP3 on your computer and go. The show
host should not be paying out of his own pocket for functionality that
the radio station should be providing anyway.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected][_2_] rodney@mont-alto.com[_2_] is offline

On Oct 6, 5:52*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
jwvm wrote:

[...]

"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

If the user is "comfortable with the basic operation of a minidisc
player," how about a minidisc player? I use my MZ-M200 for recording
live shows, you can choose a couple of kinds of auto-level or set the
level manually, and it's quite simple to move the audio files to my
Mac. Then you can drag them right into iTunes if you want.

Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

jwvm wrote:

Hello,

A local radio show host wishes to post his weekly programs on the web
and needs some easy way to record his show. A digital recorder is an
obvious option and has the advantage that the recording will already
be digitized. He wants something that is simple to use and easily
carried and easy to read since his near vision is a bit limited. A
Zoom H2 might be a good choice but is overkill here and probably too
complicated for what is needed.

Zoom H2.

Recording quality is not a primary
concern here either since the resulting files will need to be
compressed to something like 64kb/s mp3.

As incorrect as was assuming that anything other than large format negatives
could be used for old style newspaper printing, only technically good images
ended up looking good.

Also, it would be helpful if
Guitar Center carries the unit so he could try it out in the store.

This is obtained by sending him to Guitar Center, whatever that is, and
leaving his purse at their mercy. Doing that may or may not be wise.

Zoom H2.

Thanks in advance,

Zoom H2 is the product that fits the request. Preconfigure and show him how
to press the red button.

jwvm

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

jwvm wrote:

The problem here is that the end user has very limited patience with
high-tech equipment.

He should then take up gardening instead of handing a radio show or take
refuge in a hitech free sect.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] fullworkingstuff@yahoo.com is offline

On Oct 5, 8:39*pm, jwvm wrote:

He is comfortable with basic operations of a
minidisc but they are obsolete and have reliability issues. He managed
to break the one that I loaned him.

I agree that the basic question is trivial and there are many
solutions but the end user is cantankerous and has little patience.
What is needed here is a very easy-to-use recorder.

A cantankerous person with little patience who broke the unit you
loaned him. Sounds like the kind of person who will never let you
solve his problem and will take ten years off your life while you
try. Cut bait.