Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mal Thomas Mal Thomas is offline

Default Optical vs Copper

Greetings,

I noted a brief quip in a recent Hi-Fi Choice mag that a metal digital cable
(coax) sounds better than an optical cable. Obviously what sounds better to
someone is entirely subjective (assuming no major defects along the way).

However, is there some evidence to suggest that one type is better than the
other? Using the same kit and distance (80cm).

I've seen some stuff on the 'net, but mainly suggestions/opinions (varied).

In my particular instance I use an optical cable from my CD player to an
external DAC. Quite happy with the sound - is there any compelling reason
for me to change to a coax ? Yes I know I can buy one and listen for
myself, but I'd like to hear other peoples experiences too.

If it helps, my system comprises Accuphase main-, Ming Da pre-, NAD C542 and
Musiland MD10 DAC (plus some analogue kit which is irrelevant for this
post).

TIA
Cheers
Mal
Oz

Copper plated poles UnsteadyKen Tech 7 March 27th 08 08:37 PM
Ideal copper for cable [email protected] Marketplace 5 July 4th 06 06:50 AM
Fireface 8-channel optical ADAT to 8 individual optical SPDIFs? Daniel Fuchs Pro Audio 0 January 22nd 05 02:32 PM
FS: Analysis Plus 1.5m Copper Oval-In 007 Marketplace 0 May 26th 04 02:36 PM
FS: Analysis Plus 1.5m Copper Oval-In 007 Marketplace 3 September 11th 03 11:32 PM