Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] johnvoelger@yahoo.com is offline

Default Putting rear speakers on both front & back channels?

I have a 200 watt 18 RMS car radio but will only be using the rear
speakers. Does anyone know if I were to connect both the font & back
speaker wires to the rear speakers would this give me more power into
the speakers or would just hooking up the rear speakers to the rear
wires only and changing the FAD give me equal results. Thx

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

You don't want to do that. Just use the rear outputs.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Bob Smith Bob Smith is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 200 watt 18 RMS car radio but will only be using the rear
speakers. Does anyone know if I were to connect both the font & back
speaker wires to the rear speakers would this give me more power into
the speakers or would just hooking up the rear speakers to the rear
wires only and changing the FAD give me equal results. Thx

It will sound twice as loud until the stereo fries itself. You are cutting
the speaker impedence in half when you do that, and most stereos won't
handle that. You'll be buying a new stereo in a week or two. Bank on it.

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Feb 23, 12:04 am, "Bob Smith" wrote:

It will sound twice as loud until the stereo fries itself. You are cutting
the speaker impedence in half when you do that, and most stereos won't
handle that. You'll be buying a new stereo in a week or two. Bank on it.

I don't doubt the end result, but how does the perceived impedance of
the load get cut in half with this scenario? Are you sure you're not
confusing this with bridging?

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
Bob Smith Bob Smith is offline

"D.Kreft" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 23, 12:04 am, "Bob Smith" wrote:

It will sound twice as loud until the stereo fries itself. You are
cutting
the speaker impedence in half when you do that, and most stereos won't
handle that. You'll be buying a new stereo in a week or two. Bank on it.

I don't doubt the end result, but how does the perceived impedance of
the load get cut in half with this scenario? Are you sure you're not
confusing this with bridging?

Hooking up two speakers in parallel on the same channel halves the
impedence. IE: two 8 ohm speakers become 4 ohms in parallel. Series is the
opposite- two 8 ohm speakers in series become 16 ohms.

Series hookup will do no harm. Parallel hookup is sure to fry your amp (if
it won't handle the reduced impedence)

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Feb 23, 12:31 pm, "Bob Smith" wrote:

Hooking up two speakers in parallel on the same channel halves the
impedence. IE: two 8 ohm speakers become 4 ohms in parallel. Series is the
opposite- two 8 ohm speakers in series become 16 ohms.

If I'm reading correctly, though, that's not what he was asking. The
question as I read it is "what happens if I take my Front and Rear
speaker *outputs*, tie them together, and hook them up to the same two
speakers?" In essence, he wants to put two amps on one speaker:

F(+) + R(+) -- Speaker(+)
F(-) + R(-) -- Speaker(-)

Which, I'm sure, is a bad thing to do. I'm not sure precisely what
will happen to the op-amps in the head unit when a voltage is applied
to them, but I don't imagine it'd be a good idea since the circuits
were made to *deliver* power, not receive it.

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

But he's not putting two speakers on one channel, he's putting 2
channels on one speaker.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Bob Smith Bob Smith is offline

"D.Kreft" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 23, 12:31 pm, "Bob Smith" wrote:

Hooking up two speakers in parallel on the same channel halves the
impedence. IE: two 8 ohm speakers become 4 ohms in parallel. Series is
the
opposite- two 8 ohm speakers in series become 16 ohms.

If I'm reading correctly, though, that's not what he was asking. The
question as I read it is "what happens if I take my Front and Rear
speaker *outputs*, tie them together, and hook them up to the same two
speakers?" In essence, he wants to put two amps on one speaker:

F(+) + R(+) -- Speaker(+)
F(-) + R(-) -- Speaker(-)

Which, I'm sure, is a bad thing to do. I'm not sure precisely what
will happen to the op-amps in the head unit when a voltage is applied
to them, but I don't imagine it'd be a good idea since the circuits
were made to *deliver* power, not receive it.

Yep I misread it. He's still gonna smoke his rig, though. My stepson does
silly **** like that all the time- has cost me 2 home stereo amps and 1 of
his own car stereos so far. He doesn't get it.