Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi
GreenXenon GreenXenon is offline

Default Where can I find a clean KX88?

Hi:

I just bought a TG77.

I’m looking for a “non-used” Yamaha KX88 [not KX8] keyboard to play
sounds from my TG77 FM module with.

Here is why I don't want a "used" one.

I'm very sensitive to outdoor dirt. There is a good chance the used
ones came in contact with grass, soil, pollen, asphalt, concrete, tree-
sap and other outdoor dirt. I'm allergic to amounts of those
substances which others can tolerate. That's why I'm an indoor person.
If I touch the outdoor floor, I immediately have to wash my hands with
clean water. I can't use soap or other chemicals either -- just pure
clean water. I can handle small amounts of dirt particles that are
present in most habitable environments, however, construction work
just gets my nostrils flaring.

Discomfort which most can ignore, feels like pain to me.

Because KX88 has electric parts, I can't wash it with water. If I use
distilled water it may not short circuit the device but would still
cause the metals to rust.

I'm not at all a germophobe. In fact, I like bacteria. It's the
allergens [such as pollen, soil, and grass dust] that makes me sick.
Also, I hate anything with a sticky texture [such as syrup/sap]. If
there is any sticky substance to any extent, there is a good chance I
will feel it and suffer badly.

Now if I can find a "non-used" KX88 that would be a dream entering
reality because then I wouldn't have to worry about dirt, dust,
allergies, stickiness, or toxic/irritating chemicals.

The KX88 is more compatible with TG77 than the newer models. I want to
play music through my TG77 using the best 88-keyboard available.

Since the KX88 was in production around the same time as the TG77 and
the KX8 [the newest Yamaha 88-keyboard] is really designed for use
with software programs, I would be better off using the KX88.

Big difference between KX8 and KX88.

Thanks,

Green Xenon
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi
David Martel[_2_] David Martel[_2_] is offline

Green,

I’m looking for a “non-used” Yamaha KX88 [not KX8] keyboard to play
sounds from my TG77 FM module with.

They don't make these any more. It's possible but unlikely that some
store has one sitting in a box. It's unlikely that you will walk into that
store. Sorry.

Because KX88 has electric parts, I can't wash it with water. If I use
distilled water it may not short circuit the device but would still
cause the metals to rust.

Hopefully you won't try to clean it while it's plugged in. I don't follow
the "rust" problem. It sounds as if you could clean the outside case and the
keys rather than immerse it in water.
Just off the top of my head, spray the outside with Windex, let stand for
a few minutes, then dry with paper towels. I'd use Windex and a toothbrush
on the keys, then dry with paper towels. You could also try a hair dryer but
don't melt anything.

Dave M.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

David Martel wrote:

Hopefully you won't try to clean it while it's plugged in. I don't follow
the "rust" problem. It sounds as if you could clean the outside case and the
keys rather than immerse it in water.

Actually, immersing modern electronic devices in clean, distilled water
is rarely
a problem. In fact, I had a friend in high school (this was 1959) who
had a summer
job with the local Tektronix office preparing oscilloscopes that came in
for service.
He'd remove the case, fill up a bathtub with warm tap water and a mild
detergent,
scrub them down, and blow them dry with a hair dryer.

If the keys on a KX88 are made of wood, I'd be careful with them around
water,
but as far as the electronics are concerned, hose it off, dry it
carefully, and give it
a day or so to be sure all the water is out of it before plugging it in .

But as I recall, the original poster (who has, admittedly been accused
of being
both a troll and a crackpot) said he was allergic to dirt so therefore
couldn't do
the cleanup himself. He might find it difficult to get a shop or even a
friend to do
it for fear of causing damage. It's a calculated risk, but a good one.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis[_2_] Gareth Magennis[_2_] is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
David Martel wrote:

[...]

The OP has mostly claimed he suffers from Asberger's syndrome. His post
here is more in line with someone with OCD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder

Perhaps he has both. Or perhaps he really is just a Troll and has slipped
up by confusing the two sets of symptoms.

By the way, keyframes generally have lubricated moving parts. The lube
doesn't feel to be Oil based (I have some from Yamaha) so subjecting a
keyframe to excessive amounts of water might wash away the lube, rendering
the keyboard useless. It might also wash the lube onto the PCB contacts and
onto other PCB's with interesting results.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi
Geoff Geoff is offline

GreenXenon wrote:
Hi:

I just bought a TG77.

I’m looking for a “non-used” Yamaha KX88 [not KX8] keyboard to play
sounds from my TG77 FM module with.

Here is why I don't want a "used" one.

I'm very sensitive to outdoor dirt. There is a good chance the used
ones came in contact with grass, soil, pollen, asphalt, concrete,
tree- sap and other outdoor dirt. I'm allergic to amounts of those
substances which others can tolerate. I got one in brand new condition
hat has never been outside, but is not for sale.

Why do you imagine that you 'need' a KX88 - won't any other MIDI keyboard do
just as well ?

Or have you mistaken 1 Aug ofr 1 April ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi

On Aug 2, 3:20 pm, "geoff" wrote:

GreenXenon wrote:

Hi:

I just bought a TG77.

I’m looking for a “non-used” Yamaha KX88 [not KX8] keyboard to play
sounds from my TG77 FM module with.

Here is why I don't want a "used" one.

I'm very sensitive to outdoor dirt. There is a good chance the used
ones came in contact with grass, soil, pollen, asphalt, concrete,
tree- sap and other outdoor dirt. I'm allergic to amounts of those
substances which others can tolerate. I got one in brand new condition
hat has never been outside, but is not for sale.

Why do you imagine that you 'need' a KX88 - won't any other MIDI keyboard do
just as well ?

I asked Yamaha about this, they said KX88 has the best compatibility
with TG77.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi

On Aug 2, 6:29 pm, GreenXenon wrote:
On Aug 2, 3:20 pm, "geoff" wrote:

GreenXenon wrote:
Hi:

I just bought a TG77.

I’m looking for a “non-used” Yamaha KX88 [not KX8] keyboard to play
sounds from my TG77 FM module with.

Here is why I don't want a "used" one.

I'm very sensitive to outdoor dirt. There is a good chance the used
ones came in contact with grass, soil, pollen, asphalt, concrete,
tree- sap and other outdoor dirt. I'm allergic to amounts of those
substances which others can tolerate. I got one in brand new condition
hat has never been outside, but is not for sale.

Why do you imagine that you 'need' a KX88 - won't any other MIDI keyboard do
just as well ?

I asked Yamaha about this, they said KX88 has the best compatibility
with TG77.

Specifically...

.... I asked Yamaha Support "Is KX8 keyboard fully compatible with the
TG-77 FM module or should I use the KX88 instead?"

They responded "since the KX 88 was in production around the same time
as the TG- and the KX8 is really designed for use with software
programs, you would be better off using the KX 88."
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi
Geoff Geoff is offline

GreenXenon wrote:

... I asked Yamaha Support "Is KX8 keyboard fully compatible with the
TG-77 FM module or should I use the KX88 instead?"

They responded "since the KX 88 was in production around the same time
as the TG- and the KX8 is really designed for use with software
programs, you would be better off using the KX 88."

.... or any other midi controller keyboard.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi

On Aug 2, 6:53 pm, "geoff" wrote:

GreenXenon wrote:

... I asked Yamaha Support "Is KX8 keyboard fully compatible with the
TG-77 FM module or should I use the KX88 instead?"

They responded "since the KX 88 was in production around the same time
as the TG- and the KX8 is really designed for use with software
programs, you would be better off using the KX 88."

... or any other midi controller keyboard.

Huh? What any other midi controller keyboard? Just anyone isn't going
to be good. I would like one that is fully-compatible with TG77.
Sadly, Yamaha said the one that would best fit my requirements is the
KX88. Unfortunately, there are no "clean" [by my definition] KX88s.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi
Geoff Geoff is offline

GreenXenon wrote:
On Aug 2, 6:53 pm, "geoff" wrote:

GreenXenon wrote:

... I asked Yamaha Support "Is KX8 keyboard fully compatible with
the TG-77 FM module or should I use the KX88 instead?"

They responded "since the KX 88 was in production around the same
time as the TG- and the KX8 is really designed for use with software
programs, you would be better off using the KX 88."

... or any other midi controller keyboard.

Huh? What any other midi controller keyboard? Just anyone isn't going
to be good. I would like one that is fully-compatible with TG77.
Sadly, Yamaha said the one that would best fit my requirements is the
KX88. Unfortunately, there are no "clean" [by my definition] KX88s.

Any MIDI controller keyboard will work JUST FINE with a TG77. Many will work
EVEN BETTER, with more programable controllers sliders.

You may find one someday on Ebay and very few, if any, will have been rolled
in the grass or dirt. Are you sure your allergy to everything is real, or
just another obsessive facet of your condition ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi

On Aug 2, 9:32 pm, "geoff" wrote:

Any MIDI controller keyboard will work JUST FINE with a TG77. Many will work
EVEN BETTER, with more programable controllers sliders.

What is the best MIDI controller keyboard for TG77 that I can find
"clean"?

Are you sure your allergy to everything is real, or
just another obsessive facet of your condition ?

My extreme sensitivity to physical discomfort [including that caused
by allergies and stickiness] is very real and painful.

I'm not allergic to all uncomfortable substances, just overly-
sensitive. Though I am allergic to many substances that would easily
be ignored by most.

I've tried many different types of de-sensitization. They all fail
miserably. I'm not at all an outdoor person.

My preferred environment in an indoor, clean, dry, air-conditioned
house/room/building. I don't work well in the hot and humid conditions.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

GreenXenon wrote:

What is the best MIDI controller keyboard for TG77 that I can find
"clean"?

Like so many things, there is no "best" until you define it. If your
definition
is "what Yamaha thought would be better than a currently available similar
model" then that's it. Keep looking and keep not playing your TG77.

You need to figure out what features you actually need and buy a keyboard
that meets those needs. For example, if the TG77 can take advantage of
eight continuous controllers on a panel, then that's what you need. You
can't
get everything out of the TG77 without eight continuous controllers. But
if you haven't a clue what to do with them if you had them, then you don't
really need them.

Do you want to play music or do you want to wait around for your dream
synthesizer to appear?

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi
zero[_4_] zero[_4_] is offline

"GreenXenon" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 9:32 pm, "geoff" wrote:

What is the best MIDI controller keyboard for TG77 that I can find
"clean"?

You should buy any new keyboard controller you want, then
wrap it in carbon filter media for a year or so. Change
the filter media once a month.

There is a lot of out-gassing with new products. This
should give you the peace of mind that you now have
the cleanest keyboard on the block.

-zero

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Martel[_2_] David Martel[_2_] is offline

Gareth,

I've no idea about this fellow's illnesses but I do note that he has
managed to obtain a TG77. I suspect that he or someone did clean this
product. I'm not clear why he can't clean the surfaces of the keyboard. If
that doesn't work he can try more aggressive cleaning or resell on e-bay. He
should try the easiest/cheapest first.

Dave M.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

zero wrote:
"GreenXenon" wrote in message
What is the best MIDI controller keyboard for TG77 that I can find
"clean"?

You should buy any new keyboard controller you want, then
wrap it in carbon filter media for a year or so. Change
the filter media once a month.

There is a lot of out-gassing with new products. This
should give you the peace of mind that you now have
the cleanest keyboard on the block.

And to ensure minimal cross-contimination, Green Radium should
hold the keyboard firmly while the air in the high-vacuum tank
in which they are both standing is quickly evacuated.

Mr. Xenon will then discover that two things will be thoroughly
cleaned of annoying, hard-to-get-rid-of conaminants: his new
keyboard and the world at large.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Aug 3, 5:51 am, Mike Rivers wrote:

You need to figure out what features you actually need and buy a keyboard
that meets those needs. For example, if the TG77 can take advantage of
eight continuous controllers on a panel, then that's what you need. You
can't
get everything out of the TG77 without eight continuous controllers. But
if you haven't a clue what to do with them if you had them, then you don't
really need them.

I'm still confused as to which keyboard to buy. Can TG77 use 8
continuous controllers?

Do you want to play music or do you want to wait around for your dream
synthesizer to appear?

The former.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi
GreenXenon GreenXenon is offline

On Aug 2, 10:36 pm, Soundhaspriority wrote:

I too have numerous allergies that the idiot doctors have insisted must be
psychosomatic.

Those doctors deserve to be tossed into a daisy field full of nose-
tickling pollen and then told "it's all in your head"
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi

"GreenXenon" wrote...
Brian McCarty pretending to be "Soundhaspriority" wrote:

I too have numerous allergies that the idiot doctors have insisted
must be psychosomatic.

Those doctors deserve to be tossed into a daisy field full of nose-
tickling pollen and then told "it's all in your head"

This is rich. Should we call it "Troll vs. Troll" or "The Troll Wars"?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"GreenXenon" wrote...
Brian McCarty pretending to be "Soundhaspriority" wrote:

I too have numerous allergies that the idiot doctors have insisted
must be psychosomatic.

Those doctors deserve to be tossed into a daisy field full of nose-
tickling pollen and then told "it's all in your head"

This is rich. Should we call it "Troll vs. Troll" or "The Troll Wars"?

The best thing you can for these problems is to start chainsmoking cigars.
It will clear you right out.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

GreenXenon wrote:

I'm still confused as to which keyboard to buy. Can TG77 use 8
continuous controllers?

That's your question. You answer it. I was just giving an example of
something that you might find on a sophisticated keyboard controller
that isn't on a $100 set of black-and-whites.

I'd suggest that you get a keyboard controller that has enough keys on it
for you, and has a MIDI output. (Many today have only USB, which I
doubt the TG77 can accommodate.) It can be brand new and won't cost
much. If you discover things that you could do with the TG77 that you
want to do, and that require more knobs and buttons than you have on
your cheap controller, that's the time to look for a replacement. Then,
you'll know what you need.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi
dizzy dizzy is offline

GreenXenon wrote:

I've tried many different types of de-sensitization. They all fail
miserably.

Plonk!

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.synth,comp.music.midi,alt.music.midi
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"GreenXenon" wrote in message
... I asked Yamaha Support "Is KX8 keyboard fully compatible with the
TG-77 FM module or should I use the KX88 instead?"

They responded "since the KX 88 was in production around the same time
as the TG- and the KX8 is really designed for use with software
programs, you would be better off using the KX 88."

But surely *YOU* don't think a TG-77 is better than your beloved
SoundBlaster FM synth after claiming for *so many years* that it wasn't!

... or any other midi controller keyboard.

Huh? What any other midi controller keyboard? Just anyone isn't going
to be good. I would like one that is fully-compatible with TG77.

If it's the Yamaha badge you're after, Yamaha still make new Midi Keyboards.
Don't try their on-board sound though or you might be disappointed with the
TG-77.
No wait, this is Radium we're talking about :-)

MrT.