Madra Rua

Default PC radio to receive cable channels?

Anyone know of such a software radio? I am using the Hauppauge WinTV card
and its radio receives via antenna only, from what I can tell.

TIA

Rua

Juo Of C

while surging the Net =
thlink.net,
Madra Rua posted :
Anyone know of such a software radio? I am using the Hauppauge WinTV
card and its radio receives via antenna only, from what I can tell.
=20
TIA
=20
Rua

http://www.viddiradioplayer.com/

--=20

Danni

Madra Rua

"Juo Of C" wrote in message
while surging the Net
thlink.net,
Madra Rua posted :

--

Danni

Thanks Danni.

I am looking for one for cable (tv cable), not for the Internet, which I can
receive via browsers.

TIA

Rua

Darrien

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:50:32 GMT, "Juo Of C" Enlightened the world by
saying:

while surging the Net
thlink.net, Madra Rua
posted :
Anyone know of such a software radio? I am using the Hauppauge WinTV
card and its radio receives via antenna only, from what I can tell.

TIA

Rua

http://www.viddiradioplayer.com/

I just love the ambiguity.

...:: Requirements ::..

Windows 9x, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4 or
later, or Windows XP ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Microsoft Windows Media Player 7.01*
^^^^

NT 4.0 with *any* service pack, wont support WMP 7.0 and above.

--
Some people hate Blacks,
Some people hate Jews
Carey Carlan

"Madra Rua" wrote in
thlink.net:

Anyone know of such a software radio? I am using the Hauppauge WinTV card
and its radio receives via antenna only, from what I can tell.

I can't help, but I'm curious. Your cable carries radio channels? I've
never heard of this except when transported as a TV channel.

How do you hear them when not attached to your computer? via the 75 ohm
connector on your radio? If so, you could attach the cable to the antenna
jack. Does it come in via a TV channel? Then tune to the correct TV
channel and listen. If its some other way I'd like to know.

Richard Crowley

"Carey Carlan" wrote ...
I can't help, but I'm curious. Your cable carries radio channels? I've
never heard of this except when transported as a TV channel.

How do you hear them when not attached to your computer? via the 75 ohm
connector on your radio? If so, you could attach the cable to the antenna
jack. Does it come in via a TV channel? Then tune to the correct TV
channel and listen. If its some other way I'd like to know.

They send "regulation" FM channel signals in the "regulation"
FM band (88-108MHz). Many are just reproduced from off the air
(as for local TV) and others they get from their sattelite providers
(CSPAN, BBC, etc.) Received merely by connecting a split of
the cable RF to the F-connector on your FM tuner/receiver.

(Which is why I don't understand the OP's question. The answer
seems too obvious.)

Madra Rua

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Carey Carlan" wrote ...
I can't help, but I'm curious. Your cable carries radio channels? I've
never heard of this except when transported as a TV channel.

How do you hear them when not attached to your computer? via the 75 ohm
connector on your radio? If so, you could attach the cable to the

antenna
jack. Does it come in via a TV channel? Then tune to the correct TV
channel and listen. If its some other way I'd like to know.

They send "regulation" FM channel signals in the "regulation"
FM band (88-108MHz). Many are just reproduced from off the air
(as for local TV) and others they get from their sattelite providers
(CSPAN, BBC, etc.) Received merely by connecting a split of
the cable RF to the F-connector on your FM tuner/receiver.

(Which is why I don't understand the OP's question. The answer
seems too obvious.)

Thanks to all for the comments.

As the subject line suggests I am looking for a software radio, which may or
may not exist.
I don't want any more clutter around my computer, so the hi-fi receiver is
out.

The TV cable is connected directly to the PCI WinTV card. It is possible
that this card does not carry the radio signals that are on the cable. As
mentioned in my first post it comes with a software radio that uses an
antenna, but I live in an area where FM air broadcasts are mostly poor.

Hope that clarifies the situation some.

Thanks again

Rua

Richard Crowley

"Madra Rua" wrote ...
The TV cable is connected directly to the PCI WinTV card. It is possible
that this card does not carry the radio signals that are on the cable. As
mentioned in my first post it comes with a software radio that uses an
antenna, but I live in an area where FM air broadcasts are mostly poor.

Still seems as simple as spliting the cable signal to the FM radio antenna
connector. You will need to provide specific model numbers, etc. if you
want a more detailed response.

Madra Rua

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Madra Rua" wrote ...
The TV cable is connected directly to the PCI WinTV card. It is possible
that this card does not carry the radio signals that are on the cable.

As
mentioned in my first post it comes with a software radio that uses an
antenna, but I live in an area where FM air broadcasts are mostly poor.

Still seems as simple as spliting the cable signal to the FM radio antenna
connector. You will need to provide specific model numbers, etc. if you
want a more detailed response.

Thanks Richard. I misunderstood your earlier post - thought you were
referring to my hardware tuner/receiver.

I added the BTWinCap WDM drivers to my system recently, which have far more
features than the Haupp drivers. My progs show both drivers as choices but
my Haupp software, incl the radio, is screwed. Will have to look into it.
Meantime, I'll simply connect the tv cable directly to the FM imput to check
for the radio signals - if I can get the Haupp radio working or if I find
what I was originally looking for in these posts.

Thanks again.

Rua

Madra Rua

To refresh, after I installed the BTWinCap driver, my Hauppauge software
wouldn't even open.

I found the discussion (in German) below very useful. It suggested using
Dscaler and a Czech radio called Radiator from http://flesko.cz/.

This was a very good suggestion and Dscaler indeed looks a better prog than
the Hauppauge. It works very well with BTWinCap.

I installed the "Radiator" which is an FM radio but couldn't get any noise
at all from it with the FM antenna in place. I connected the TV cable to the
radio antenna input and found no signal there either. I suspect that the TV
cable radio signal may be in a different format - voltages/frequencies,
etc. - from the antenna signal. There is little info with the Radiator and I
suspect it is for use with an antenna. Looks like something is missing in my
setup.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Rua

Danach ging weder WinTV32, noch WinTV2000, Radio oder Videotext. :-(

Ja, die kannst du dann abschreiben- die Funktionieren nur mit den original
Hauppaugetreibern. Ein weitaus besseres Programm zum Fernsehschauen ist
DScaler (http://www.dscaler.org/downloads.htm)- funktioniert auch mit den
BtWinCaps Videotext ist auch dabei.

Zum Radiohören versuch mal den Radiator: http://flesko.cz/ Zum Aufnehmen
guck dir mal den IUVcr an: http://www.iulab.com/ Oder Andere- zu finden
z.B. hier: http://www.vcdhelp.com/tools

Gibt es irgend eine Chance, dass ich das wieder reparieren kann, ohne dazu

den Rechner aus dem neu eingerichteten Computertisch rausmontieren und die
TV-Karte aus- und wieder einbauen zu müssen? Oder gibt es einen Trick, wie
ich trotz des neuen Treibers die Programme zur Mitarbeit überreden kann?

Nimm einfach das Installationsprogramm der BtWinCap-Treiber und gehe auf
"Uninstall any blabla", das sollte alles entfernen.

Jonas Eckerman

I installed the "Radiator" which is an FM radio but couldn't get any
noise at all from it with the FM antenna in place.

There is little
info with the Radiator and I suspect it is for use with an antenna.

There is some kind of confusion here. There are no pure software radios.
There are software that can be used to control harware radios, for example
radios on a PCI card that can be installed in a PC.

What kind of antenna signal you can use will depend on the actual radio,
the hardware, not on the piece of software you use to control the hardware
(and possibly also to read the audio data streams from the hardware and
send it to the OS mixer).

Doesn't you radio (the hardware) has any manual specifying what kind of
input signal it wants?

Does whoever installed and runs the cable operations you use (TV and radio)
have any information on what kind of "radio" they put on the cable?

Looks like something is missing in my setup.

I suspect what's missing is crucial info on how your radio hardware works
as well as info on what is on the cable how.

Regards
/Jonas
Madra Rua

Thanks again J.

"Jonas Eckerman" wrote in message
. 1...
As I haven't got such a card that you have, the stuff below are guesses
based on common hardware.

That's true but I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't looking for
hardware. You may have missed the early part of the thread. I use a
WinTV-FM PCI card.

The WinTV-FM PCI card is hardware, and that's the hardware I meant.

As I understand it, the PCI card takes the signals from the antenna
and passes them to the sound card.

Is there any cables going from the WinTV-FM card to the soundcard?

Yes, I receive TV sound ok.

If not, then the WinTV FM card does not pass anything to the soundcard,

but
the software reads the audio stream from the WInTV-FM card and sends it to
a Windows audio device.

In any case, the WInTV-FM card probably does not simply send the radio
signals to something else in the machine. The WInTV-FM card should have TV
and FM radio tuner and receivers, and probably converts the input signals
to digital audio that can be streamed by the computer.

The software "radio" tunes the
signals and plays whichever one is selected.

The software tells the tuner on the radio card wich frequency to tune to.
The actual tuner is on the card.

The above is all I know.

That makes it difficult to know if the problem is the antenna, receiver,
tuner, software or all of them.

I'll check the BtWinCap driver installation again.

Thanks for the input

Regards
/Jonas

Jonas Eckerman

"Madra Rua" wrote in
link.net:

As I understand it, the PCI card takes the signals from the antenna
and passes them to the sound card.

Is there any cables going from the WinTV-FM card to the soundcard?

Yes, I receive TV sound ok.

That's not what I asked. I asked if there's any cables going from the
WinTV-FM card to the sound card. Is there?

If not, then the WinTV FM card does not pass anything to the
soundcard, but the software reads the audio stream from the WInTV-FM
card and sends it to a Windows audio device.

/Jonas
Madra Rua

"Jonas Eckerman" wrote in message
"Madra Rua" wrote in
link.net:

As I understand it, the PCI card takes the signals from the antenna
and passes them to the sound card.

Is there any cables going from the WinTV-FM card to the soundcard?

Yes, I receive TV sound ok.

That's not what I asked. I asked if there's any cables going from the
WinTV-FM card to the sound card. Is there?

Opppss!!! Yes, there is one cable. I removed all the drivers today and
reinstalled Haupapuge software, incl the radio, and all work fine. I shut
the radio down and try the "radiator radio" and get no sound at all. This
radio has many settings, including one to select the card manufacturer.
Hauppauge is not on the list, yet in the old German discussion (on a
newsgroup) there is a claim that it does work with the Haupp and BtWinCap
drivers. Looks like I'll have to go back there for more info.