Posted to rec.audio.high-end
duffman duffman is offline

Default headphone amp

I'm trying to put together phones, CD player and phone amp.

Regarding phones I decided to go with Sennheiser HD650.
CD Player - I'm almost positive that it will be Cyrus 8x. (suggestions are
also welcome on CD players somewhere in that price range)

Phone amp... I would like to hear suggestions on this one. By your opinion,
what would be nice match with HD650 and 8x?
(Musical Fidelity XCan, Creek, SinglePower, Grace 901.. something else??)

all comments are welcome!

thank you

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven E. Harris Steven E. Harris is offline

duffman writes:

By your opinion, what would be nice match with HD650 and 8x?

I use a pair of HD600s with an Antique Soundlab MG Head DTą, which is
a fantastic combination and has held up well for about five years so
far. It looks like there's a new model that they've found ways to make
even uglier.˛

Footnotes:
ą http://www.tubehifi.com/amp/amp/mgheaddt.html
˛ http://www.divertech.com/aslmgheaddt.html
http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html#HEADPHONE

--
Steven E. Harris
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
duffman duffman is offline

"Steven E. Harris" wrote in message
duffman writes:

By your opinion, what would be nice match with HD650 and 8x?

I use a pair of HD600s with an Antique Soundlab MG Head DTą, which is
a fantastic combination and has held up well for about five years so
far. It looks like there's a new model that they've found ways to make
even uglier.˛

Footnotes:
ą http://www.tubehifi.com/amp/amp/mgheaddt.html
˛ http://www.divertech.com/aslmgheaddt.html
http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html#HEADPHONE

--
Steven E. Harris

Thank you very much. I'll try to find it here in Europe, but my guess is
that many people never heard of it here (me included).
P.S.
I don't care if it's ugly, as long as it sounds good :-))

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] neil@thump.org is offline

On 20 Jan 2007 16:50:02 GMT, "duffman" wrote:

I'm almost positive that it will be Cyrus 8x. (suggestions are
also welcome on CD players somewhere in that price range)

Don't buy this player if you listen to Classical music. Its great for
jazz and everything else though. But with classical its a little raw
and edgy, though imaging is amazingly good. I had one and ending up
swapping for a Consonance reference Mk II that has a tubed Class A
output stage. You should check out Consonance CD120 Linear if the
reference series is over budget.

See http://www.operaudio.com/
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
duffman duffman is offline

wrote in message ...
On 20 Jan 2007 16:50:02 GMT, "duffman" wrote:

I'm almost positive that it will be Cyrus 8x. (suggestions are
also welcome on CD players somewhere in that price range)

Don't buy this player if you listen to Classical music. Its great for
jazz and everything else though. But with classical its a little raw
and edgy, though imaging is amazingly good. I had one and ending up
swapping for a Consonance reference Mk II that has a tubed Class A
output stage. You should check out Consonance CD120 Linear if the
reference series is over budget.

See http://www.operaudio.com/

Well, I'm not really a great classical music fan, although every once in a
while I do listen it.
Can you tell me how would Peter Gabriel sound on 8x?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

duffman writes:

I don't care if it's ugly, as long as it sounds good :-))

I agree, but it's hard to look at those pictures and not laugh. The
designers' attention is clearly elsewhere, perhaps as it should be.

--
Steven E. Harris
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
duffman duffman is offline

duffman writes:

I don't care if it's ugly, as long as it sounds good :-))

I agree, but it's hard to look at those pictures and not laugh. The
designers' attention is clearly elsewhere, perhaps as it should be.

You got that right :-)
I guess it should be like that. Otherwise we would end up with nicely
designed BS :-)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tim McTeague Tim McTeague is offline

"duffman" wrote in message
wrote in message ...
On 20 Jan 2007 16:50:02 GMT, "duffman" wrote:

I'm almost positive that it will be Cyrus 8x. (suggestions are
also welcome on CD players somewhere in that price range)

Don't buy this player if you listen to Classical music. Its great for
jazz and everything else though. But with classical its a little raw
and edgy, though imaging is amazingly good. I had one and ending up
swapping for a Consonance reference Mk II that has a tubed Class A
output stage. You should check out Consonance CD120 Linear if the
reference series is over budget.

See http://www.operaudio.com/

Well, I'm not really a great classical music fan, although every once in a
while I do listen it.
Can you tell me how would Peter Gabriel sound on 8x?

Ugh. Why do I read this newsgroup? It's bad enough that people think all
amps, cables and CD players sound different; but now claims are being made
that only certain kinds of music sound good on them. It's all ones and
zeros people. How does a player know that the bits are classical, rock or
Peter Gabriel. My guess is that Peter Gabriel will sound like Peter Gabriel
on the player in question. Now, your speakers and room may alter that a bit
but the CD player? Give me a break.

Tim McTeague