Nate Najar

Default new tunes

here's a bunch of tunes from a record date i did last night. I'm the
guitarist and the recording engineer. Chuck Redd on Drums, John Lamb
on bass and Charlie Schlaich on vibes. I used the josephson series 4
on the acoustic gutiar, 414 hyper on bass, the hyper on drums and AT
3031 stereo pair on vibes. Guitar and bass through RNP, the rest
throough Mackie onyx, record to pro tools. I set up the room better
and got better isolation but I think i need to use a hyper on teh
guitar next time. The guitar mic got the most ambience and it's a
little too much. Makes the drums kinda washy sounding.

www.natenajar.com/mp3/lori.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/sweetsue.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/bluebossa.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/grandaffair.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/madness.mp3

it's kind of loose but it was a swinging date!

Nate

lm

"Nate Najar" a écrit dans le message de news:
here's a bunch of tunes from a record date i did last night. I'm the
guitarist and the recording engineer.
Nate

Nate,

First, congratulations for the music of your band, really pleasant to listen
to.

I love the way Charlie Schlaich plays his vibes (he certainly heard a lot of
Milt Jackson) and I like the natural sound you got from his instrument (I
play vibes too).
What placement did you use for the mikes on the vibraphone ? A/B ? X/Y ?

But I love the way you play your guitar too and unfortunately I could'nt
hear it so clearly as the vibes.

I feel your guitar is under mixed in regards to other instruments. Your
guitar track's sound has a littlle lack of fullness and is a little too
crispy to my hears.
Perhaps the fact that your microphone (as you said it) takes a little too
much room is the responsible one of the lack of presence of your guitar too.

And in most of the tunes I find the drums a little too loud, specially some
cymbals on Blue Bossa.

I noticed at first listening a strange balance between Left ant Right
channels, as if your mixed was leaning to the right.
When looking in looking in Sound Forge I could see your Right channel was
clearly lower than the Left one and it had no 0db peaks unlike the Left one.

Just a little bit less room and drums, just a little more guitar, a little
more care to your pan balance, and here you are.

It's only my 2 cents opinion, I'm not a sound engineer (only a sound lover).

Thanks again for the listening et "Bravo pour la musique".

Regards,

Laurent.

Michael Putrino

"Nate Najar" wrote in message
ups.com...
here's a bunch of tunes from a record date i did last night. I'm the
guitarist and the recording engineer. Chuck Redd on Drums, John Lamb
on bass and Charlie Schlaich on vibes. I used the josephson series 4
on the acoustic gutiar, 414 hyper on bass, the hyper on drums and AT
3031 stereo pair on vibes. Guitar and bass through RNP, the rest
throough Mackie onyx, record to pro tools. I set up the room better
and got better isolation but I think i need to use a hyper on teh
guitar next time. The guitar mic got the most ambience and it's a
little too much. Makes the drums kinda washy sounding.

www.natenajar.com/mp3/lori.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/sweetsue.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/bluebossa.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/grandaffair.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/madness.mp3

it's kind of loose but it was a swinging date!

Nate

My, but these are beautiful...

Mike P.

Jim Gregory

Nate
Very enjoyable Lori, Sweet Sue, Blue Bossa renderings....
But I ask, why are your guitar chords hiding? Assuming it was mixed live,
and not multi-tracked, the Lori solo bit is fine, and so is the rhythm
dialogue, but otherwise those strings get nearly swamped by the a-bit-narrow
sound of vibes. Bassist deserves a medal. Pan those snare drums a bit more
centre, please. Heard some stray noises toward last few bars of Sweet Sue.
Blue Bossa's vibes sounded to me to have some flattened bum notes! Very good
off-beat attacks.... I adore samba.
Next time, just as an experiment, get someone capable to monitor it (and
balance it slightly) when you're busy jamming as you cannot do both jobs.

I'll now listen to the other 2 tracks, expecting overall balance has not
changed!
But do let's have more.
Jim

"Nate Najar" wrote in message
ups.com...
here's a bunch of tunes from a record date i did last night. I'm the
guitarist and the recording engineer. Chuck Redd on Drums, John Lamb
on bass and Charlie Schlaich on vibes. I used the josephson series 4
on the acoustic gutiar, 414 hyper on bass, the hyper on drums and AT
3031 stereo pair on vibes. Guitar and bass through RNP, the rest
throough Mackie onyx, record to pro tools. I set up the room better
and got better isolation but I think i need to use a hyper on teh
guitar next time. The guitar mic got the most ambience and it's a
little too much. Makes the drums kinda washy sounding.

www.natenajar.com/mp3/lori.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/sweetsue.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/bluebossa.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/grandaffair.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/madness.mp3

it's kind of loose but it was a swinging date!

Nate

Nate Najar

thanksforall the comments! Bass player (john lamb) played with
Ellington in te 60's, oscar, bags, you name it he played with them.
Drummer played with Charlie Byrd for 20 years, diz,meltorme, etc....
vibist worships terry gibbs and used to paly with ira sullivan.

As for the mix, they're still rough but i have a lot of fighting to do.
We're all in oneroom and my guitar mic picks up too much of everythign
except the guitar! It is multitracked, but with the ambience it's
difficult to get good separation- I'm still working at it! I'm a
musician first, amateur engineer second. But i'm learning. I play
nylon string guitar with my fingers so i don't get a lot of volume out
of the instrument. One day I'll figure out a good mikingsituation.
This date was a little harder becauseit was a lot louder than what I
usually play (it was the vibist's record date, I'm just thesideman!).

Nate

Nate Najar

thanks mike... I was just thinking today, maybe if I put some gobos
around me and used a figure of eight mic turned sideways- I'll try that
next time.

Nate Najar

thanks mike... I was just thinking today, maybe if I put some gobos
around me and used a figure of eight mic turned sideways- I'll try that
next time.

Jonny Durango

Nate Najar wrote:
here's a bunch of tunes from a record date i did last night. I'm the
guitarist and the recording engineer. Chuck Redd on Drums, John Lamb
on bass and Charlie Schlaich on vibes. I used the josephson series 4
on the acoustic gutiar, 414 hyper on bass, the hyper on drums and AT
3031 stereo pair on vibes. Guitar and bass through RNP, the rest
throough Mackie onyx, record to pro tools. I set up the room better
and got better isolation but I think i need to use a hyper on teh
guitar next time. The guitar mic got the most ambience and it's a
little too much. Makes the drums kinda washy sounding.

www.natenajar.com/mp3/lori.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/sweetsue.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/bluebossa.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/grandaffair.mp3
www.natenajar.com/mp3/madness.mp3

it's kind of loose but it was a swinging date!

Nate

Nate, there is a nasty skip on "Madness" @ 2:03 and another smaller one
at 2:13. I hope this was a result of the bounce and not the actual
recording (you're not using an M-Box are you?).

Anyhow, sounds great other than the fact that the drums are a little
"washy" as you mention, mainly in the first couple tracks. Also, like
others have said, your guitar needs to come up. To be brutally honest is
sounded like you weren't quite "in the zone" on "Sweet Sue" or maybe it
just hadn't been rehearsed quite as well as the other stuff you shared.
Don't get me wrong, it still sounds great!

I also noticed the fact the stereo field seems to be leaning pretty
heavily. This seems to be more apparent on the drums.

Anyway, I think if you follow Mike's advice and get a little more
isolation on the guitar, it will make the drums and guitar sound better.

Best of luck and keep us updated on the results!

Jonny Durango
Lorin David Schultz

"Jonny Durango" wrote:

Nate, there is a nasty skip on "Madness" @ 2:03 and another smaller
one at 2:13. I hope this was a result of the bounce and not the
actual recording (you're not using an M-Box are you?).

Why do you ask if he's using an Mbox? What would that have to do with
skips?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Nate Najar

I haven't listened to all the mp3's- it must be from the mp3 rip with
itunes. The cd I burned out of peak sounded fine.

I thought sweet sue was kinda nice- nothing was rehearsed, we just went
in and played. And weren't using cans so i was kind of digging in all
night just to hear myself. With this kind of stuff you lose a bit of
the vibe with cans (and the old guys refuse to wear them anyway,
because they never had to in the 50's and 60s!). I do have the drums
hard appned- i like that sound. I usually hard pan drums and bass
opposite, i didn't hard pan the bass though because the drums were in
the other side due to the leakage, so i left a little of the bass int
he other channel. I do need to work more on the mixes but i'm getting
a little closer.

Nate

Recording a Contra Dance George Gleason Pro Audio 40 January 10th 05 07:17 PM
Room tunes RJ Peterson Marketplace 0 June 14th 04 03:51 PM
Insane production on these tunes, Willy Idle Pro Audio 7 February 23rd 04 12:17 AM
New tunes at Soundclick Wayne Stephens Pro Audio 1 November 16th 03 07:10 PM