Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] bourgon@gmail.com is offline

Default Anybody have Grado SR-60 or SR-80 in Fort Worth, TX that I can listen to?

Subject says it all. I live in Fort Worth, and before I plop down $70
or $100 would like to see how they fit, how they sound, etc. I'm
considering these or the Sennheisers for my desk at work, but want to
try them first, and I don't see any dealers closer than Austin.

Many thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] bourgon@gmail.com is offline

What kind of music do you listen to? The grados are generally
recommended for rock, the Sennheiser's for classical, jazz, acoustic
etc.

Combination of things. Progressive rock, so everything from Symphonic
Italian from the 70's to Death Metal. What I'm curious about is not
just the sound, but the feel, since I've read several times that some
people hate the feel of the Grado's. Also, what are the cushions made
of? One of the things I really like about my Koss headphones is that
they don't make my ears sweat, because they're foam instead of leather
or vinyl or (whatever).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 01:06:53 GMT, MINe 109
wrote:

My experience with Grados (purchased from the dealer in Austin BTW) is
that the replacement foam earpieces are much more comfortable than the
original earpieces. You will still want to try them for yourself, but if
you like how they sound, you might be able to make them more
comfortable.

The original foam is quite dense; the replacements are more like what
you'd expect from other brands of open-ear foam-padded headphones.

Stephen

Agree. The original Grado ear pieces are quite horrible and don't do
the phones justice. That's where the Senns really score, in comfort,
though even there some people complain of a clamping effect. You
really need to try them.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] bourgon@gmail.com is offline

You really need to try them.

Yup yup yup. Hence the post. Nearest dealer is in Austin, which I
never travel to, and is 3 hours away.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On 9 Aug 2006 13:29:41 -0700, wrote:

Paul, just trying to get one last clarification before I see who has a
good return policy on Grados.

Not close at all. The Senns and Grado's represent different ends of
the spectrum. Except for the Senn 595, which is the closest high end
Senn to the Grado sound (but still miles away).

Was looking at the 555, since the price is about the same. When you
say different ends, you mean the listening-to-rock vs
listening-to-jazz? From reading the reviews it sounded like they were
in the same ballpark, sound-wise. Or are the 555s just crap?

I've never actually heard the 555. I have the 595 and would expect the
555 to be just a less refined version. What I mean by "different ends"
is that both Senn and Grado have a "house" sound--that is, Grado go
for a rather bright in-your-face sound that suits rock while Senn
generally are more mellow and laid back, thus suiting acoustical. When
I say the Grados are bright, however, I don't mean at the frequency
extreme; rather they sound to me, and others, as if they have a peak
around 4khz, which would correlate with them being favoured for rock.
The Senns are often disparaged as "boring" by rock fans, and oddly
even the 595 has been so criticised, though I find it marvellously
neutral and suitable for all types of music. A further complication is
that any phone you listen to in-store is likely not to be burnt in.
and burning in is essential to a proper evaluation. As for reviews,
I'm not sure which ones you're referring to, as I've never seen
reviews that suggest Senn and Grado are in the same ball park. Must be
a ballpark in the Twilight Zone. :-)