Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default CMC641 as male and female VO mic

Had the fun opportunity of voicing and producing 4 radio spots for
ComputerTraining.com a week or so back.

If you're in:
Chicago
Washington, DC
Baltimore, MD
Lancaster, PA
Harrisburg, PA
Philadelphia, PA
Wilmington, DE
Newark, DE
Richmond, VA
Norfolk/Newport News/Chesapeake/VA Beach, VA
Cleveland, OH
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, OH
Indianapolis, IN
Detroit, MI
Boston, MA
or Atlanta, GA...

You may hear them for the next 13 weeks if you listen to radio stations with
30 year old male demographics. Two spots are me, the other two are Billie
Jackson with me sort of popping in.

Both voices recorded with Schoeps CMC641. Heard one two nights ago here in
Baltimore. Sweet!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Jun 7, 5:38 pm, Ty Ford wrote:
[...]

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

People should try small diaphragm mics more for vocals. One of
the applications I like best for my stereo Scheops CMTS 501 mic is
vocals (in mono of course.) Nice transformer in it though, unlike
some modern mics.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audi Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard drichard is offline

Will and Ty,

I've tried SD condensers on vocals in the past, just for fun. And I
liked the sound, but to me it seemed they were more susceptible to
plosives and breath noise. Do you find that to be the case?

Dean

On Jun 8, 1:06 pm, WillStG wrote:
On Jun 7, 5:38 pm, Ty Ford wrote:

[...]

"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 00:02:19 -0400, drichard wrote
(in article .com):

Will and Ty,

I've tried SD condensers on vocals in the past, just for fun. And I
liked the sound, but to me it seemed they were more susceptible to
plosives and breath noise. Do you find that to be the case?

Dean

Hey Dean,

I was trained at a very early age not to plo. We bought EV 1751 electret
condensers for the FM air studio in the 1970s. You could wink at them and
they'd pop! If put in the right place, worked properly and with pop
protection I don't think they are much worse than a lot of others.

I have the spots in the Sass folder on my On Line Archive if you want to hear
what we did.

One of the things I like about them is that they aren't edgy to begin with.
If I want edge, I can achieve that with limiting and compression artifacts.

The one I heard the other night on the radio smacked nicely without sounding
gritty.

Regards,

Ty

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Jun 9, 12:02 am, drichard wrote:
Will and Ty,

I've tried SD condensers on vocals in the past, just for fun. And I
liked the sound, but to me it seemed they were more susceptible to
plosives and breath noise. Do you find that to be the case?

Dean

Not really, you see small diaphragm mics in use as podium mics all
the time, I don't think they pop more than anything else might. If
they pop I'd back off the mic or use a pop filter or windscreen - just
like you might use a foam pop filter on an SM7 and RE20, or on a U67
on the Beatles at Abbey Road... g And at one time Motown was I
think all small cap Neumann KM86's, Neumann of course makes handhelds
with small caps, and Tuck and Patti have recorded a lot using B&K
4006's for everything.

WIll Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
"The large print giveth and the samll print taketh away..." Tom Waits"

Posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard drichard is offline

Hi Will and Ty,

Thanks for the comments. I was singing, not speaking when I did my
recordings. While I wasn't on top of the mic, I was within a few
inches. And that caused some problems. I don't have the technique of
Pro VO guys, that's certain, so maybe I just need a little better
windscreen.

One time long ago I borrowed a friend's Neuman U-64, which is a
nuvistor SD mic. I liked the sound a lot, but probably could have used
a double windscreen. And a few years ago I played with a Oktava MC012.
That also sounded good to me, but again I had a few problems with
plosives.

So, I guess it really comes down to me using better technique, or a
better windscreen.

It's a pleasant surprise when a microphone that is not the obvious
choice turns out to work very well for a particular application.

Dean

On Jun 10, 3:49 pm, WillStG wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:19:01 -0400, drichard wrote
(in article om):

[...]

I put the mic about 45 degrees to one side and point it at my mouth. I don't
talk or sing directly into it.

The Oktava MC012 IS very very pop sensitive. If you move it quickly with your
hand or a boom you will ruffle the diaphragm.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ty Ford wrote:

The Oktava MC012 IS very very pop sensitive. If you move it quickly with your
hand or a boom you will ruffle the diaphragm.

Shure makes a pop filter for the SM-81, which works very well to turn the
SM-81 into a vocal mike. Nobody seems to use them at all any more, and
Shure is not trying to promote them, but they are still in the back of
the catalogue.

The Shure pop filter can be added to an MC012 and it helps, but there is
still no blast filter in place on the Oktava capsule. The blast filter is
a louvered thing that directs large bursts of air to the side. In general,
the blast filter degrades the pattern and makes it different in horizontal and
vertical axes, as well as degrading the top end, but it's necessary for
close vocal use.