Tommy B

Default What's it called?

When a music store sells you an item as new, but is really "B" Stock or
repack, which They are selling on ebay for $300 cheaper. I think it's called
FRAUD, but I'm not an attorney. I did however, give my attorney a call.
I gave these guys two chances to do the "right thing"
NADA!!!! This could become very entertaining.
More news on the "ENRON of Music Stores" at 11!

Dale Farmer

Tommy B wrote:

When a music store sells you an item as new, but is really "B" Stock or
repack, which They are selling on ebay for $300 cheaper. I think it's called
FRAUD, but I'm not an attorney. I did however, give my attorney a call.
I gave these guys two chances to do the "right thing"
NADA!!!! This could become very entertaining.
More news on the "ENRON of Music Stores" at 11!

Check with your state consumer protection office. When they sell you
something as "New" that has a specific, rather narrow legal definition.
Retruned gear or repackaged store demos do not qualify. However,
if they take something new, and break it down into smaller packages
and sell them, then they are new. that it is on sale elsewhere for a lower
price is simply your bad judgment.

--Dale

Tdmpalace

Retruned gear or repackaged store demos do not qualify. However,
if they take something new, and break it down into smaller packages
and sell them, then they are new. that it is on sale elsewhere for a lower
price is simply your bad judgment.
BRBR

i remeber when the first ADAT's came out, i was chatting with a salesguy at my
local proaudio place, and yhappened to hear a conversation buy another
customer, who owned 2 of them in his 16 track studio, but was on his fifth
actual unit.
(high failure rate in the early ones....or all of them?)
anyways, the sales guy was getting the refurbs back in new packaging and
selling them as new, as per Alesis' policy.
I was disgusted. Had i ever had the ink-lin' , at the time, to get an ADAT, it
passed quickly...........
Dale Farmer

Tdmpalace wrote:

Retruned gear or repackaged store demos do not qualify. However,
if they take something new, and break it down into smaller packages
and sell them, then they are new. that it is on sale elsewhere for a lower
price is simply your bad judgment.
BRBR

i remeber when the first ADAT's came out, i was chatting with a salesguy at my
local proaudio place, and yhappened to hear a conversation buy another
customer, who owned 2 of them in his 16 track studio, but was on his fifth
actual unit.
(high failure rate in the early ones....or all of them?)
anyways, the sales guy was getting the refurbs back in new packaging and
selling them as new, as per Alesis' policy.
I was disgusted. Had i ever had the ink-lin' , at the time, to get an ADAT, it
passed quickly...........

If the factory ships them to the store as new, even though the units are
actually
refurbs, then the factory owns the liability, not the store. This is a murkier
area
of the law, and different states have different rules. Of course, if the
product
is fantastic, then the issue rarely comes up.

--Dale

Mike Rivers

In article . net writes:

When a music store sells you an item as new, but is really "B" Stock or
repack, which They are selling on ebay for $300 cheaper. I think it's called
FRAUD,

Is this the start of a discussion, or has the origianal message not
reached my host system yet?

Did you buy something new and discover that it was returned and
repackaged at the shop? Or did you discover that something that you
bought new at a store could be bought $300 cheaper as B-stock?

Actual B-stock is in essence new from the manufacturer. It may have
been previously sold by a store, accepted for return, and sent back to
the manufacturer for return or credit, or it may be a trade show or
salesman's demo unit that's never been sold, but has some mileage on
it. In any case, B-stock comes from the manufacturer, and in almost
all cases includes all the parts, accessories, documentation, original
packaging, and original warranty. It's for all intents and purposes
(except for legal definition) "new" only cheaper.

If a store takes an item in for return, puts it back in the box, seals
it up, and sells it as "new," that is indeed fraud. If he sells it as
"essentially new, returned by a customer, fully guaranteed and
complete, and $50 cheaper than a factory fresh box," that's not fraud
and it's up to you to decide whether a seal is worth $50.

Still, you have to ask yourself (and your lawyer if you can afford
one) what difference it makes. It's not like you've bought a car with
50,000 miles on it that's just been washed, vacuumed, and had the
odometer reset. If it's typical modern electronics, it won't wear
out any sooner during its lifetime with you because somebody tried it
out at home and decided that he didn't like it. If you find that it
doesn't work (because he accidentally hooked the AC power to the mic
input or something) then the dealer should take care of you.

Of course if the dealer "takes care of you" by telling you that you'll
have to send it back to the factory under the warranty, and the
factory tells you that they won't fix it for free because it's
obviously been misused, then you're dicked. Know your dealer if you're
going to be making a deal. It's cheaper than hiring an attorney.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

The FAQ needs a major update Mark Zarella Car Audio 324 August 24th 04 10:02 PM
speaker protection Johan Wagener Car Audio 114 November 10th 03 05:39 PM
what are they called today? RB General 2 August 27th 03 02:52 PM
What is it called when? Julian Russell Pro Audio 45 August 23rd 03 02:54 PM
hearing loss info Andy Weaks Car Audio 17 August 10th 03 08:32 AM