Julian Russell

Default What is it called when?

a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

thanks

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

LeBaron & Alrich

Julian Russell wrote:

a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

Rubato

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
Artie Turner

Julian Russell wrote:
a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

caesura

thanks

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

Julian Russell

Thanks guys but that's not it... it doesn't mean just slow or stop

another example... a lyric says "knock.. and the drummer goes 'rap,rap,
rap', on the rim.... it's a more general term... a writing, arranging
device..*and* it's on the tip of my tongue.... arrrrr...

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

"Artie Turner" wrote in message
. ..
Julian Russell wrote:
a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

caesura

thanks

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:32:08 GMT, "Julian Russell"
wrote:

it's on the tip of my tongue.... arrrrr...

Is this a Pirate term?

Chris Hornbeck,
guyville{at}aristotle{dot}net
question Authority

Brian Takei

Artie Turner ) wrote:

Julian Russell wrote:
you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

caesura

and for a slowing down, perhaps 'retard' (or 'retardation')

- Brian

Patric D'Eimon

I know what you are asking and I've gone through Don Sebesky, Russ Garcia,
Clinton Roemer, Van Alexander and Mickey Baker arranging books but still
haven't found the term. Dang!

Maybe this will help. It is a glossary of music terms.

http://www.hearts-ease.org/cgi-bin/t...a=conservatory

Patric

Troy wrote:

musical chairs

:-)

Julian Russell wrote in message
a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

thanks

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

Neil Rutman

lyric scoring?

Neil R

"Troy" wrote in message
. ca...
musical chairs

:-)

Julian Russell wrote in message
a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

thanks

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

Pugnut99

Cymbalism

Fletcher

Julian Russell wrote:

a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops...

rest

or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

retard(ed)
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Fletcher

Julian Russell wrote:

another example... a lyric says "knock.. and the drummer goes 'rap,rap,
rap', on the rim....

tacky
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Tonebarge

Julian Russell wrote:

Thanks guys but that's not it... it doesn't mean just slow or stop

Try: onomatopoeia

Main Entry: on·o·mato·poe·ia
Pronunciation: "ä-n&-"mä-t&-'pE-&, -"ma-
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin, from Greek onomatopoiia,
from onomat-,
onoma name + poiein to make -- more at POET
Date: circa 1577
1 : the naming of a thing or action by a vocal
imitation of the sound
associated with it (as buzz, hiss)
2 : the use of words whose sound suggests the
sense

--
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true"

Patrick Covert

In article , Julian Russell
wrote:

a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

When the music slows it's a ritard, not retard. When it stops it's
usually called a stop beat, although rest works too.

Mondoslug1

Julian Russell wrote:

another example... a lyric says "knock.. and the drummer goes 'rap,rap,
rap', on the rim....

I was working for this C&W artist did this dumb ass tune aboout getting caught
in a motel room with the wrong person, "and there was a knock on the
door"...usually accompanied by drums going rap rap rap.
Crew sent out on stage a moving Energizer Rabbit they'd found that
day.............he kicked the **** out of it into the audience. Didn't like
surprises I guess. Nothing was ever said. Hit a chick in audience in the chest
with it also when he kicked it.
tacky
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

My tunes at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/andymostmusic.htm

Julian Russell

tacky
--

we have a winner!

but lots of silly stuff needs a name....

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

"Fletcher" wrote in message

Julian Russell wrote:

another example... a lyric says "knock.. and the drummer goes 'rap,rap,
rap', on the rim....

tacky
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio
TEL: 508-543-0069
FAX: 508-543-9670
http://www.mercenary.com
"this is not a problem"

Julian Russell

um... it will come to me. Thanks for all the valiant stabs. I remember
reading the term a month or so ago (but not where) and tried to make a
mental note (hey.. that's cool.. that has a name!) but the ole noggin failed
me.

An onomatopoeia ( which is probable the closest, but not it ) is when a
words sounds like what it is describing... another cool word but..

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

"Julian Russell" wrote in message
a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

thanks

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

Mike

"Julian Russell" wrote in message ...
a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

thanks

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

That's called acoustamatopoeia.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Tmuska

There is a musical term from Renaissance vocal music called "text painting" or
"word painting" where the music matches the text. Running up the hill =
ascending line. "Two by two" has two voices. Birds singing is matched by violin
trills, etc. There's probably a more contemporary term for this - Or someone
will come up with one.
Terry

Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:38:34 GMT, "Julian Russell"
wrote:

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

Do you get the NPR show "Says You" where you are? Maybe
you could ask them. Maybe start at:

http://www.wgbh.org/wgbh/radio/saysyou/

Good Hunting,

Chris Hornbeck,
guyville{at}aristotle{dot}net
question Authority

Bryson

Julian Russell wrote:

um... it will come to me. Thanks for all the valiant stabs. I remember
reading the term a month or so ago (but not where) and tried to make a
mental note (hey.. that's cool.. that has a name!) but the ole noggin failed
me.

Yeah, mental notes used to work for me too, but now I've gotta
buy stickies....... and reading glasses.

Timmy

An onomatopoeia ( which is probable the closest, but not it ) is when a
words sounds like what it is describing... another cool word but..

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

"Julian Russell" wrote in message

a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

thanks

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

no spam

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:14:13 -0700, Danny Taddei
wrote:

I think you are looking for "call and answer".

This is technically known as antiphony.

Paul Gitlitz
Glitchless Productions
www.glitchless.net
Julian Russell

PROSODY!

Read it in Mixerman... Ralph got it!

Thanks man

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

"Ralph & Diane Barone" wrote in message

Dammit, this question's been driving me crazy for the last couple days,
since I remember seeing the answer SOMEWHERE before, and I thought it was
on rec.audio.pro.

PROSODY! From the Mixerman chronicles, 21 Nov 2002

Then, one must consider the fact that without a lyric, one relinquishes

the
possibility of the use of prosody; that-is performing the music so as to
take the lyric literally. The simplest example of this being the music
stopping on the word "Stop" which happens in countless songs. "Stop...In
the name of love."; You gotta stop...children, what's that sound,

everybody
look what's goin' round."

Man, I better get a prize for this...

"Julian Russell" wrote in message
a question for the rap brain trust

you have a tune... the lyric sings, for instance, "stop" and the music
stops... or... " slow" and the music slows... etc...

there is a term for it and it escapes me...

thanks

Julian Russell
http://magpiesound.com

Bob Ross

Julian Russell wrote:

PROSODY!

Read it in Mixerman... Ralph got it!

I'm afraid that's incorrect. "Prosody" refers to the stress and inflections of
a lyric, and how those match with the stress and emphasis of a musical phrase.
It is a description of metric phenomena: how the placement of strong/weak
musical beats corresponds (or doesn't) to strong/weak syllables.

The word you are looking for may be "Mickey-Mousing". That's a mid-20th
Century film scoring term to describe a musical score which attempts to mimic
the screen action literally.

/Bob Ross

The FAQ needs a major update Mark Zarella Car Audio 324 August 24th 04 10:02 PM
speaker protection Johan Wagener Car Audio 114 November 10th 03 05:39 PM
what are they called today? RB General 2 August 27th 03 02:52 PM
hearing loss info Andy Weaks Car Audio 17 August 10th 03 08:32 AM