Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Abandoning the antiquities

On May 12, 5:51*pm, "Watt? Me worry?" wrote:
Hi RATs!

*I used to play records, but, it became far beyond daily execution,
for me.

Same, later, for one CD at a time. I avoided a general purpose
computer in my audio system as long as possible, but, when I
subscribed to PADA, I discovered MP3 is not always the wretched poison
I heard, first.

Now I am using .WMA to rip the CDs I still have. Well under a
thousand. I might even get them all ripped, if I quit listening to
them as I rip them... sometimes twice

I have only downloaded FLAC. "Kind of Blue" never sounded this good on
my vinyl. I use XBMC. *I still like "Sketches of Spain" better We
have a 10M DSL link to the wireless router. My wife has two PCs, I
only have this one. She is vertical a bit more than me. Not much.

DVDs are OK for movies, and the BR drive in my PC works OK for this
$150. 23" HDMI monitor. I do not watch them often enough to bother
ripping them. Music may be a fine document, movies are, at best, a
papier mache Pinata

When we switched states a few years back, I gave away my collections
of video tapes and fancy metal casettes. I got a fast $350.00 for
about six van loads of old amplifiers and speakers and misc test gear,
after my friends had cherry picked. The big CD changers kept my
favorites in play, and played 24/7, usually. I have been a bit
inactive since 1997, when I caught this slow boat to nowhere, CFS.
Music has often been the only thing happening in my brain for long,
long periods of time - awake or asleep. Better than nothing - I
actually have done A/B - *Double Blind is too good a word, babe, so
I'll just say: "What the Hell."

Yes, a terrabyte is under a hunnerd bucks. 16K for my kid's Vic 20 was
$79. in 1982?, but, it was slow, and huge, 32 chips, IIRC, 2 x 4 on
both sides of two boards... he used an old analog tubed color TV as
his monitor. He could dial in any color he wanted, one at a time

The new tweeters I got on sale from Parts Exspress for under five
bucks are the biggest improvement to my system since Blumlein garters,
also in that price range

It is not at all stressful to me that each driver cost less than the
cap I use in the crossover, the sound is terrific. Even my wife likes
it! (She Who Cannot Be Impressed)

I am not really up for an external DAC, this one is not horrid, and
the next PC will no doubt be better. No hurry When commercial
hardware says it supports 7.1, I find their PS adequate for stereo...
The early stereo CD players required upgrading PS caps and diodes,
even for cloth ears like mine

Happy Ears!

Al

I have to give you an honary award for talking a foreign language
while using English.

Most of what you're doin just sails over my head.

A friend here has a FABULOUS vinyl play system and any attempt at
digitising it and replaying it is worse.
And the commercially recorded CD of Miles Davis he has doesn't sound
as good as the same music he has on old vinyl.
Usually the digital versions are dull and lack dynamics and verve and
are unemotional and cold.

I myself don't have the time let alone the money to aquire 3,000 cds.
Why at $30 each, that's.... 90 grand, wow.

But I know guys with a whole wall full of vinyl, and I guess that
represents obscene expenditure in their distant youth, and an
obsessive personality.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Watt? Me worry? Watt? Me worry? is offline

On May 12, 4:11*am, Patrick Turner wrote:
I have to give you an honary award for talking a foreign language
while using English.

Most of what you're doin just sails over my head.

A friend here has a FABULOUS vinyl play system and any attempt at
digitising it and replaying it is worse.
And the commercially recorded CD of Miles Davis he has doesn't sound
as good as the same music he has on old vinyl.
Usually the digital versions are dull and lack dynamics and verve and
are unemotional and cold.

I myself don't have the time let alone the money to aquire 3,000 cds.
Why at $30 each, that's.... 90 grand, wow.

But I know guys with a whole wall full of vinyl, and I guess that
represents obscene expenditure in their distant youth, and an
obsessive personality.

Patrick Turner.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Patrick,

PADA is Pristine Audio Direct Access. A little firm in a small town
in France. After New Year, he released his version of Kind of Blue. It
is not a retail hack CD, it is a digital file. You buy it and download
it. It is in FLAC, a file format that keeps all the bits where they
belong. He carefully processes the analog before creating the digital.
You can try it free for a week of listening. He restores and enhances
antique recordings.

http://www.pristineclassical.com/PADA.html

I have bought a few files. I subscribe to his cheapest service, nice
mix for a Euro a week, for 24/7 music.

______

I know a guy in Minnesota that has 50,000+ old records in a temp and
humidity controlled storeroom. The air is constantly filtered and
disinfected. To me, that is enthusiasm.

I am listening to a 1972 Rolling Stones CD re-release I just ripped..
I really like the Stones, but, they sounded better on AM car radio...
back when.

Happy Ears!

Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RickH RickH is offline

[...]

The majority of my CD's were bought used at 2 to 5 dollars or imaged
to blank CD's for free from the public library. I dont know where $30
per CD came from in your post, since the 80's retail CD's have been
pegged at $12 to $15 and more recently are $8 to $12 retail in the US.

I'm 54 and started buying jazz CD's in 1984 so 26 years comes to about
90 purchased CD's per year with the rest borrowed from the library.

I will sell most of them to the used shops here eventually, but I have
to make sure having it all on hard disk is ok and I can keep it backed
up.

The main advantage, and its a huge one, is tagging, cataloging,
searching and portability advantages. I DJ for some swing dance
venues here and cant imagine bringing CD's or doing requests without
searching. I still have plenty of vinyl, 78's, some V-disks, 45's,
cassettes, 8-tracks and reel to reels, but they are seldom used.

The early CD's do not sound as good as the vinyl due to the mastering
of that day and pre-emphasis tricks. I have also converted much of my
78 collection to digital as that is the music I really like listening
to the most. Certainly not for its fidelity, but to know the
evolution of jazz first hand.

There is really nothing obsessive as I also play jazz sax and needed
to get down a LOT of standards over the years, per song CD's are way
cheaper and more accurate than sheet music and fake books because you
actually get the correct pro changes and have an immediate backing
track to practice with.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RickH RickH is offline

On May 12, 10:58*am, "Watt? Me worry?" wrote:
[...]

Al- Hide quoted text -

Cool, I wish he did jazz FLAC. For that matter I wish all online
suppliers would finally drop lossy compression and sell at the
recorded sampling rates.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On May 12, 7:09*pm, RickH wrote:

Cool, I wish he did jazz FLAC. *For that matter I wish all online
suppliers would finally drop lossy compression and sell at the
recorded sampling rates.- Hide quoted text -

PADA does some jazz

Check it out...

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On May 13, 1:58*am, "Watt? Me worry?" wrote:
[...]

When you had hearing, and long hair, and everything was bright and
beautiful, and ideas about distortion in AM radios in cars didn't even
enter your mind......

Patrick Turner.

Happy Ears!

Al- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On May 13, 10:07*am, RickH wrote:
[...]

In Oz, because of the exchange rates and the fact that everything
exported from the US is damned expensive,
CDs cost $30 mostly before the price fell a bit.

I'm 54 and started buying jazz CD's in 1984 so 26 years comes to about
90 purchased CD's per year with the rest borrowed from the library.

That would have been a $60 a week habit here, including the drive to
the shop and parking fees.
Petrol has always cost more here thanks to US company policies........

I will sell most of them to the used shops here eventually, but I have
to make sure having it all on hard disk is ok and I can keep it backed
up.

The main advantage, and its a huge one, is tagging, cataloging,
searching and portability advantages. *I DJ for some swing dance
venues here and cant imagine bringing CD's or doing requests without
searching. *I still have plenty of vinyl, 78's, some V-disks, 45's,
cassettes, 8-tracks and reel to reels, but they are seldom used.

I understand. I am not an avid mucic collector. I just listen to what
is around when it is mostly.

The early CD's do not sound as good as the vinyl due to the mastering
of that day and pre-emphasis tricks. *I have also converted much of my
78 collection to digital as that is the music I really like listening
to the most. *Certainly not for its fidelity, but to know the
evolution of jazz first hand.

I can see that transfering something on 78 could always sound better
because you have a chance to click off noise peaks with a mouse and
replace the gap with samples of audio averaged from just either side
of the noise.
And then you can equalise the sound so it has better basic balance
between bass, midrange and treble, and maybe remove resonant effects
from ancient microphones, venues, and old gear. It sure should make
something recorded in 1930 sound better! I have heard samples.
But something put on LP and done right in 1970 is already quite good,
and for me just playing the record is all I'd want.

There is really nothing obsessive as I also play jazz sax and needed
to get down a LOT of standards over the years, per song CD's are way
cheaper and more accurate than sheet music and fake books because you
actually get the correct pro changes and have an immediate backing
track to practice with.- Hide quoted text -

Well, yeah, but I don't have time....

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On May 12, 11:30�pm, Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

Hearing was great, before my year a few hundred yards from the
afterburner test pad... but, I couldn't listen very well.

My hair, what's left, is long again. I got a crew cut, but, haircuts
do not last...

Nam wasn't all beautiful, but, Sydney sure was, in 1969

Distortion was the good part...

Happy Ears!

Al