Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Infinity loudpseakers RS2000, SM80 or...?

Hello!

I am looking for a pair of quite cheap bookshelf loudspeakers. I listen
only to classicla music, and mainly chamber music. I looked for some
second-hand, and I found two pairs of Infinity loaudspeakers: the
RS2000 (two way, not bass reflex, "Polycell" tweeter, 16 cm woofer,
from the '80s), and the SM80 (two way, bass reflex, "Polycell tweeter,
20 cm woofer, apparently older than the RS2000). I listened to both
pairs and they are quite good, but I cannot really compare them as they
were in totally different systems and rooms. The price is quite high (I
live in Switzerland...), and with about 100$ more I can get a pair of
new KEF iQ1 from an internet store, but I cannot listen to them and
compare then to the Infinitys. Do you think it is better to go for the
new KEF or these old Infinitys are still worth buying? (They have both
new woofer foam). Any advice would be greatly apreciated...

Thanks!

Marco

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!

I am looking for a pair of quite cheap bookshelf loudspeakers. I listen
only to classicla music, and mainly chamber music. I looked for some
second-hand, and I found two pairs of Infinity loaudspeakers: the
RS2000 (two way, not bass reflex, "Polycell" tweeter, 16 cm woofer,
from the '80s), and the SM80 (two way, bass reflex, "Polycell tweeter,
20 cm woofer, apparently older than the RS2000). I listened to both
pairs and they are quite good, but I cannot really compare them as they
were in totally different systems and rooms.

**Trust me: Both are crap. If you think they're good, then I fear for your
listening acuity.

The price is quite high (I
live in Switzerland...), and with about 100$ more I can get a pair of
new KEF iQ1 from an internet store, but I cannot listen to them and
compare then to the Infinitys. Do you think it is better to go for the
new KEF or these old Infinitys are still worth buying? (They have both
new woofer foam). Any advice would be greatly apreciated...

**Never buy speakers without first listening to them. Buy locally built,
where possible, as you may save more money.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote in message
[...]

The thing about speakers is they are very personal, and you have to please
yourself alone.
Forget what anybody tells you, just listen and decide.

Don't buy any speaker without listening first, and remember that it's yor
opinion that counts, and only your opinion.

A bit of additional information that you might find useful, would be to
check with a pro audio shop where they sell to musicans and for people with
home studios. Since they don't pay the enormous advertising costs that
consumer audio companies do, you can often times find things that will work
just as well for a lot less money. In the case of speakers you can find
some that are powered as well as passive systems. Again, listen first and
decide based on what you hear.

You should be able to find speakers in the size range you are considering
for a very reasonable price.

Good Luck

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Walt

wrote:

[...]

If you like the way they sound and they are available at a price you
find ammenable, then buy them. Personally, I like the sound of older
Infinities, especially the sealed box models. YMMV. Since you're on a
budget, you will most likely get better sound out of an older used model
than a new model at the same price point.

See if you can negotiate a listening audition in your room with your
components (the room is really the important thing here). Any decent
stereo store will offer a 7 or 14 day return policy, and I don't see why
a seller on the used market wouldn't agree to a similar situation.

Finally, don't buy speakers over the internet without listening to them
first.

//walt