Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Dead Nuts Dead Nuts is offline

Default Newsgroups diminishing

My news server stopped carrying lots of news groups. Groups I used were alt
binaries schematic electronics, alt astronomy and many more. My server was
Verizon. My tech support was usually from India and totally cluless. What
can I
do? Any & all suggestions accepted.

DD

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Dead Nuts wrote:
My news server stopped carrying lots of news groups. Groups I used were alt
binaries schematic electronics, alt astronomy and many more. My server was
Verizon. My tech support was usually from India and totally cluless. What
can I
do? Any & all suggestions accepted.

DD

try albasini.net it is free and works fine for me.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Fred[_8_] Fred[_8_] is offline

"Ian Bell" wrote in message ...
Dead Nuts wrote:
My news server stopped carrying lots of news groups. Groups I used were alt
binaries schematic electronics, alt astronomy and many more. My server was
Verizon. My tech support was usually from India and totally cluless. What
can I
do? Any & all suggestions accepted.

DD

try albasini.net it is free and works fine for me.

Cheers

Ian

Would that be albasani.net? Their faq says they
don't do binaries like abse.

Fred

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Fred wrote:
"Ian Bell" wrote in message ...
Dead Nuts wrote:
My news server stopped carrying lots of news groups. Groups I used were alt
binaries schematic electronics, alt astronomy and many more. My server was
Verizon. My tech support was usually from India and totally cluless. What
can I
do? Any & all suggestions accepted.

DD

try albasini.net it is free and works fine for me.

Cheers

Ian

Would that be albasani.net? Their faq says they
don't do binaries like abse.

Yes and yes.

Cheers

ian

Fred

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob Eld Bob Eld is offline

"Fred" wrote in message
m...

"Ian Bell" wrote in message

Dead Nuts wrote:
My news server stopped carrying lots of news groups. Groups I used were

alt
binaries schematic electronics, alt astronomy and many more. My server

was
Verizon. My tech support was usually from India and totally cluless.

What
can I
do? Any & all suggestions accepted.

DD

try albasini.net it is free and works fine for me.

Cheers

Ian

Would that be albasani.net? Their faq says they
don't do binaries like abse.

Fred

Yes, as far as I can find, none of the "working" freebees do alt.binaries.
The poster would have to pay for those on one of the pay services. I have
good luck with news.eternal-september.org, at lest for now. No binaries
though. I used to enjoy the binary groups like alt.binaries.midi and several
of the joke groups but most are so full of spam as to be totally worthless
and certainly not worth paying to get. The Usenet is dying, a tiny shell of
its former self.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 14:09:27 -0700, "Bob Eld"
wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
om...

"Ian Bell" wrote in message

Dead Nuts wrote:
[...]

Are binary groups even necessary any more? As far as I am aware, every
Internet account comes with at least some web space, which is a far
more convenient way of distributing a file than a multipart binary on
a news group.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mick mick is offline

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 14:09:27 -0700, Bob Eld wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
m...

"Ian Bell" wrote in message

Dead Nuts wrote:
[...]

If you filter out everything from googlegroups over 90% of that spam
magically disappears! OK, you'll miss a few posts, but you'll probably
spot more that would otherwise have been lost in the noise.

For anyone needing binaries access I can recommend astraweb. You can buy
a block of data then use it whenever you want. I set up at least 2 news
servers, a free text server (or 2) as the main server(s) and astraweb as
a secondary server. That way I get free access for most of the groups
that I use. It works really well.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Sep 6, 3:22*am, mick wrote:
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 14:09:27 -0700, Bob Eld wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message
om...

"Ian Bell" wrote in message

Dead Nuts wrote:
[...]

Well, I hope people don't do this! I use google groups so you'll miss
my pearls of wisdom, such as they may or may not be! :-)
Actually, the google groups screen presentation is very good, beats
Outlook Express by a country mile.
Of course, Mike won't see this! Pity.
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sep 7, 11:11*am, Engineer wrote:
On Sep 6, 3:22*am, mick wrote:

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 14:09:27 -0700, Bob Eld wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message
om...

"Ian Bell" wrote in message
Dead Nuts wrote:
[...]

Oops, Mick, that is... but since he's not seeing it he won't be
offended!
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
news:Ho6dnVGuhvPVOj_XnZ2dnUVZ_tydnZ2d@supernews. com...

"Ian Bell" wrote in message

Dead Nuts wrote:
[...]

Right and my Comcast furnishes 1 GB for free. All you have to do
is uplink using FTP and associated the index to a URL.
It helps if you learn a little web authoring if you
want to make pretty web pages. I pay about $140 per two years
on my paid web space and get 300 GB.

greg

usgroups diminishing Dead Nuts Audio Opinions 0 September 5th 09 05:27 AM
newsgroups will die.... yes Pro Audio 22 March 23rd 08 02:31 PM
Tweeters diminishing HF response ? Ray Thomas High End Audio 1 October 6th 05 03:37 AM
newsgroups in 2004. are you all slowly running out of air ? Forgnog Zambrucken Audio Opinions 2 May 2nd 04 05:49 PM
MP3 Player Newsgroups Patrick Audio Opinions 1 October 7th 03 12:43 PM