WillStG

Default Fox "News"

(Per Karlsson)
In the PIPA article they demonstrate that the more you watch FOX the
less you know, and the more likely you are to support Bush! (Page 12
and onward.) Incredibly fascinating!
It would be interesting to hear the views on this of our resident FOX
insider.

Interesting.

Harvard Business School is doing a study of Fox News Channel too, because
a business like FNC going up against entrenched competition has never gone from
zero to dominance in 5 years. Maybe if they read this study they can just save
themselves the trouble, huh... We win in the ratings because people want to
lose their critical faculties! That that, Spice Channel!

Our Ad Sales guys were talking to Interns today about back in the
beginning how hard it was to sell advertising on a channel with no ratings, our
CFO was also talking about how when we announced our launch they actually
laughed at the News conference, Ted Turner said he would squash us, and we were
on no cables systems and had no advertisers.

But we did have people who were unafraid to take chances. And we built
loyal viewers one by one, when people complained our logo was burning into
their TV screens and asked us to change it we had to come up with the revolving
logo (bug we call it. True story.) Who knew our viewers, who single handedly
forced Marriot and other hotel chains to carry Fox News, were so dedicated to
becoming stupid? Who knew the word of mouth that forced many cable systems to
carry us under threat of viewers switching to Direct TV was due to such
dedication to ignorance?

Maybe there's a slogan in this somewhere. "Fox News, it's like a
vacation!" Or maybe, "Fox News, it's like that pleasant afterglow - you know
what we're talking about!"

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

EggHd

Harvard Business School is doing a study of Fox News Channel too, because
a business like FNC going up against entrenched competition has never gone from
zero to dominance in 5 years.

It's a good model. The conservative radio host have great ratings. Why not
have a TV news channel with going after the same audience.

---------------------------------------
Mondoslug1

Will wrote:

[...]

Well I cruise around in a C&W tour bus from time to time and most of the riders
who happen to lean that way always have Fox news on. It gets bjorkin' old after
awhile.

Me at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/andymostmusic.htm

Don Cooper

Will, you seem to speak for the entire channel. Aren't you afraid the
actual spokesperson might slap you upside the head?

Don
EggHd

Egghead - FNC does give liberals and the left a legitimate chance to air
their views.

I agree. The reality is however it is a very right leaning network.

"Fair and Balanced" is a real
commitment, and that is in no way mutually exclusive to our Talent having
Editorial points of view.

I don't buy the fair and balances slogan but I understand what you are saying.

But the
public doesn't mind direct opinions being expressed, what the public *does*
take exception to is opinions that are hidden behind or within supposedly
objective reporting that is not.

Fox news has just as many hidden aganda's as every other network IMO.

And *that* is how the mainstream media is
viewed by a large demographic, and for people of that opinion Fox News was, and
is, a refreshing change of pace.

I don't agree with this 100% but I do believe the model they chosse is
successful and I give them props for it.

---------------------------------------
Mondoslug1

Egg wrote:

Egghead - FNC does give liberals and the left a legitimate chance to air
their views.

I agree. The reality is however it is a very right leaning network.

agreed.

"Fair and Balanced" is a real
commitment, and that is in no way mutually exclusive to our Talent having
Editorial points of view.

I don't buy the fair and balances slogan but I understand what you are
saying.

agreed

But the
public doesn't mind direct opinions being expressed, what the public *does*
take exception to is opinions that are hidden behind or within supposedly
objective reporting that is not.

Fox news has just as many hidden aganda's as every other network IMO.

Maybe...it's not hidden with them though, definitely worse than the others .

And *that* is how the mainstream media is
viewed by a large demographic, and for people of that opinion Fox News was,
and
is, a refreshing change of pace.

I don't agree with this 100% but I do believe the model they chosse is
successful and I give them props for it.

agreed

Although those 3 in the morning - Steve & Edy....that is SNL I think
Don Cooper

WillStG wrote:

Who knew the word of mouth that forced many cable systems to
carry us under threat of viewers switching to Direct TV was due to such
dedication to ignorance?

I believe that happened with YES.

Not you guys.

Don
WillStG

(EggHd)
I agree. The reality is however it is a very right leaning network.

Editorially this is true, no doubt. But we aren't "spiking" views,
shutting out POV's we don't wish to be heard, as the public perceives many
other News organizations do.

I don't buy the fair and balances slogan but I understand what you are
saying.

Roger Ailes would say, "What part of "Fair and balanced" do you have a
problem with? We are working with University Journalism programs, it's a
commitment to ethical journalism. "Fair and balanced" means open honest
debate, and not stacking the deck or manipulating the facts . We sponsored
the Democratic Party Presidential debates you might have noticed.

Fox news has just as many hidden aganda's as every other network IMO.

There are secrets to our success - but that has to do with how we are
different, not how we are the same.

I don't agree with this 100% but I do believe the model they chosse is
successful and I give them props for it.

Beleive me they did serious Demographic work before launching FNC. Thing
is, the public *isn't* stupid, and people are tired of hearing that message in
the background hum of much of the media. If you think peeple are dumb you
can't hide it, it shows through. Even if say, *we* even seem a litle stupid
sometimes, people will take that into account and still prefer not being
insulted, if you follow my drift...

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Geoff Wood

WillStG wrote:

FNC.

FNC ? Another TLA ? The mind boggles.

geoff

"WillStG" wrote in message
Or maybe, "Fox News, it's like that pleasant afterglow - you know
what we're talking about!"

If you give that one to Shep, he'll no doubt use it next week for "the
G-Block".
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

Scott Dorsey

WillStG wrote:

Roger Ailes would say, "What part of "Fair and balanced" do you have a
problem with? We are working with University Journalism programs, it's a
commitment to ethical journalism. "Fair and balanced" means open honest
debate, and not stacking the deck or manipulating the facts . We sponsored
the Democratic Party Presidential debates you might have noticed.

Because, fair and balanced reporting just isn't possible for human beings.
Humans are fallible. It's a good goal to aim for, but it's not a thing to
expect.

The most balanced reporting possible is reporting that is made by people who
are in no way connected with the issue involved and have nothing to gain or
lose from it. In the case of national security issues, it's impossible for
any American, and maybe any world citizen, to be disconnected.

Everyone has an agenda, and some organizations try very hard to deal with
that while others don't try. But nobody is able to eliminate it.

EggHd

Thing is, the public *isn't* stupid, and people are tired of hearing that
message in
the background hum of much of the media. If you think peeple are dumb you
can't hide it, it shows through.

Fox saw the very loyal following of conservative radio and decided that was a
great market and a great way to seperate themselves freom the TV news pack.
They were right and it is working.

Don Cooper

Bob Cain wrote:

No, I'd say Fox is very smart in appealing to dumb people

Now *there's* a slogan!

Don