Shiva

Default 6lw6 / 26lw6 curves?

Hi all.
I've got a 26lw6 in a lot of toobs i picked up, and was wondering if anyone
has tried it in SET / SEP audio amps, or if someone could point me to a
datasheet link / output circuits using *lw6, and any quirks I might expect
from this toob. [?]
Thanks in advance,
-dim

Fabio Berutti

Sorry, I have no curves for these tubes. I have found a bunch of 36LW6 for
a few $ and some day will use 'em, but so far I only found an article
concerning a PP amp (100W) using the 36LW6 on Glass Audio magazine, no.
3/99. Its title is "The LW6-180 Amplifier", written by Mr. Silvio Mangini.
Some data are given.

Ciao

Fabio

"Shiva" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi all.
I've got a 26lw6 in a lot of toobs i picked up, and was wondering if

anyone
has tried it in SET / SEP audio amps, or if someone could point me to a
datasheet link / output circuits using *lw6, and any quirks I might expect
from this toob. [?]
Thanks in advance,
-dim

Shiva

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message
.. .
Sorry, I have no curves for these tubes. I have found a bunch of 36LW6

for
a few $ and some day will use 'em, but so far I only found an article
concerning a PP amp (100W) using the 36LW6 on Glass Audio magazine, no.
3/99. Its title is "The LW6-180 Amplifier", written by Mr. Silvio Mangini.
Some data are given.

Ciao

Fabio

Thanks, I'll look it up. Duncan's toob database has minimal data, enough to
start with. I'll try to come up with some curves on my pseudo-curve tracer,
but theB+ plate supply only goes up to 750V, and gets pretty spongy there...
The specs given are really promising...
-dim

"Shiva" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi all.
I've got a 26lw6 in a lot of toobs i picked up, and was wondering if

anyone
has tried it in SET / SEP audio amps, or if someone could point me to a
datasheet link / output circuits using *lw6, and any quirks I might

expect
from this toob. [?]
Thanks in advance,
-dim

Andy Evans

I can only supply some info gleaned from the web, as follows:

The 807 when connected triode gives up most of its power with quite a reduction
in output. Same holds true for the KT66. The best I've tested is the 6LW6. This
is a very late horizontal deflection tetrode (made in three filament power
versions) with barkenhauser plates. It is a top plate cap tube but rather tall.
It's similar to the 6550A but with a steeper characteristic curve. The second
best is the EL509/6KG6. 4.5K PP seems a good compromise.
Type "LW6-180" into your google search. There is a description with schematic
and other details. It uses the 6LW6 tube, which is like both tubes you asked
about, but has octal base and a top cap.. I thought the 6LW6 was one of the
earlier sweeps. Replaced by the unobtainuim 6LF6 and its other heater voltage
twins. Ran across an amp design around this tube. Something like 30% cathode
loads on the output TX and drive requirements second only to the Unity-Coupled
Macs. I think they got 90 WPC from a single pair in this circuit. something
like LW6-180 they called it. Found a single 26LW6 and it is a super looking
tube, huge plate, octal base and a top anode cap, box the size of an old Hg
type 83. I'll bet it would make a decent SE with UL connection and about 300 V
on the plate, feedback of course, drive it with a 6DN7 for a two tube amp,
rectify with an 83 choke input to an Oiler cap, mmmmh wish I had more time. I'm
saving a quad of these and trying to coax up enough courage to attack my Luxman
MB3045. These horiz deflec tubes really sink the filament current and don't
know if the current demands of the original 8045G of which the output trannys
were designed for will handle 6LW6s. It will probably work. I'm using 6550A
now. The best! James I would imagine that you could run
6LW6 at 400V as a triode and at perhaps 90mA per valve. You would probably get
20W
NOS-6LW6 $34.95 tubestore

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:-
http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Shiva

"Andy Evans" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Andy - i guessed the drive voltage would be pretty staggering, judging by
the huge bias voltage at just 250V plate... Will have to look up 6DN7's,
never used them (or used them under a different moniker?). Thanks for the
link 9or google words), and... 6LW6 - did you *check* the current on the
fils? It's (opening duncan's database - i know it's around 3... 2.6 amps.
Almost double of a 6550, which ain't a current sipper either... With toobs
like that, my 20 amp 6V tranny is beginning to seem useful...
-dim