TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

1:2 voltage ratio

You can always try.

Happy Ears!
Al
Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Patrick Turner

jim wrote:

I have an entirely shagged plastic cased 120v/230v industrial transformer
originally intended to run a hedge trimmer. It weighs about 40lb.....With a
2:1 imp ratio, could I use this for a SE KT88 amp ??
regards
jim

I'll play it safe, and say " NO ".

Food for thought,

Patrick Turner.

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

Get new, sharp, manual trimmers.

Promise wife good shagging if she does a good job on hedge.

I am in process of soldering KT88 SE.

Will report more, later,

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Shiva

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

jim wrote:

I have an entirely shagged plastic cased 120v/230v industrial

transformer
originally intended to run a hedge trimmer. It weighs about

40lb.....With a
2:1 imp ratio, could I use this for a SE KT88 amp ??
regards
jim

I'll play it safe, and say " NO ".

Food for thought,

Patrick Turner.

Patrick wound me a custom SE OT, weighs about 40 lbs, gorgeous, beautiful
work, but now my hedge trimmer smoked it's tranny. And the hedges are a
mess... Any way I could use it to replace the hedge-trimmer's iron?
-dim

Fred Nachbaur

jim wrote:
I have an entirely shagged plastic cased 120v/230v industrial transformer
originally intended to run a hedge trimmer. It weighs about 40lb.....With a
2:1 imp ratio, could I use this for a SE KT88 amp ??
regards
jim

Yes, of course you can. No problem.

But I have no idea what it'll do when you plug it in. Tell me before you
do so I can duck safely out of the way.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

KMA

Oh my!
You guys have really dropped off the deep single ended with this one.
Worst of all....I under stand everything you said...but...I only have one
point to add..
Don't forget about reverse negative harmonics with the rotating blades and
the 2:1 transformer.
Last time that happened we lost a guy that got sucked into a black hole.

Matt

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message

jim wrote:

I have an entirely shagged plastic cased 120v/230v industrial

transformer
originally intended to run a hedge trimmer. It weighs about

40lb.....With a
2:1 imp ratio, could I use this for a SE KT88 amp ??
regards
jim

Jim! Fix your clock! You're spinning madly off into the future! Quick,
before the hedge trimmers catch up with you!

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

jim

"TubeGarden" wrote in message
Hi RATs!

Get new, sharp, manual trimmers.

Promise wife good shagging if she does a good job on hedge.

I am in process of soldering KT88 SE.

Will report more, later,

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead

My best wishes to the expectant and flushed Mrs Tubegarden. May the earth
move for you, my dear...
Ian has pointed out that crossover distortion will occur when the blades
change direction. I had not considered this and SE is definitely not the way
to go...
My wife has now braced herself for an experimental push pull driver
Come back to you when I've got my breath back
regards
jim

jim

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
A hedge-trimmer is an awkward load, requiring maximum drive at the
crossover point. Could be that direct-coupled SE would be the way
to go.

Ah, just mailed Alan Marcy. Push pull with a crossover point at exactly the
point at which the blades change direction is the way to go. Any harmonics
generated will be absorbed by the soft rubber handles. Careful adjustment
of the rubber composition should fetch us well within 1% THD With a 12Kg
mains transformer, an 8Kg OPT and a 600v supply, two people should easily
be able to trim a garden hedge with this piece of tackle

But really you have to consider the whole system here. The best
strategy to get a grip on that vibration is to drill the blades,
like a triton's footrest-hangers, and use a three-pivot linkage to
get minimum velocity at crossover.

At my age I am not aiming for maximum velocity

Waterproofing may be a problem for Katie

I only use the outdoor spec KT88. This has a hermetically sealed,
stormproof, Royal Navy approved, silicon rubber bulb with anti torpedo
netting.

How did you contrive to shag a 40lb transformer? What drove you to
it?

They have very low resistance and a full range response
regards
jim

Andy Evans

You all thought he was
some brain death hick with lots of free time, didn't you ??? Not so !!
This was for real !! Aasholligonti he was called, from the planet Bog.

What do you do for a living? Tax inspector? Government whip? Hedge
trimmer......... I'm just trying to imagine your typical day.
"Morning, O beautiful but somewhat Goth one, can I have my mail, or is it
caught in a time warp round Gamma Nocturnus? Cancel my calls for the rest of
the day...."

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

A life in the day of a sleeper:

Wake up. Take meds. Drink coffee. R/W email, boards, etc.

Nap. Eat lunch. R/W.

Nap. Eat dinner. Watch TV. R/W.

Sleep.

Listen to music all the time

Some days, for grins, I sleep thru lunch.

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Choky

the larch.

--
Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar

"don't use force,
use a larger hammer"
- ZM
..

jim

jim wrote:

I have an entirely shagged plastic cased 120v/230v industrial

transformer
originally intended to run a hedge trimmer. It weighs about

40lb.....With a
2:1 imp ratio, could I use this for a SE KT88 amp ??
regards
jim

I'll play it safe, and say " NO ".

Food for thought,

Patrick Turner.

Patrick wound me a custom SE OT, weighs about 40 lbs, gorgeous, beautiful
work, but now my hedge trimmer smoked it's tranny. And the hedges are a
mess... Any way I could use it to replace the hedge-trimmer's iron?
-dim

I see no problem here. Patrick's transformers were originally designed for
hedge trimmers. We are lucky they perform so well at audio frequencies.
regards
jim

Andy Evans

Some days, for grins, I sleep thru lunch.

I just woke up. Ah - 4.45pm. My typical day - sleep deprived after not being
able to turn off midnight movie. Get up, have a shave, do the Times crossword,
have a shave. Have a doze. Woken by phone. Talk to ex about our son. Try and
fend off usual assumption that I am an inconsiderate thoughtless *******.
9.30a.m. Have duck egg for breakfast, take medication while waiting. Listen to
Rogers radio playing contertenors singing medieval music (radio 3 has now given
up broadcasting anything else). Dream of writing a film. Decide to put off
writing the script to tomorrow. R/W emails. Try and crack the impasse where AOL
is blocking my usual address and my website can't apply spam filters - (a true
three pipe problem). See some clients. Read newsgroups. See some more clients.
Feel guilty about putting off film script. Talk to a friend. Move some valve
holders, capacitors and chassis off the floor in order to get close to TV which
is malfunctioning. Decide to put all the audio printouts from the web in neat
folders. Move some valve holders, capacitors and chassis back onto the floor in
order to get close to back of computer which is malfunctioning. Watch midnight
movie..............

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
jim

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message
et oset offey

jim wrote:

I have an entirely shagged plastic cased 120v/230v industrial

transformer
originally intended to run a hedge trimmer. It weighs about

40lb.....With a
2:1 imp ratio, could I use this for a SE KT88 amp ??
regards
jim

Jim! Fix your clock! You're spinning madly off into the future! Quick,
before the hedge trimmers catch up with you!

Cheers,
Fred

My wife says I come too early. ? I can't buy this. I've made her wait since
last November.? Are you telling me I've arrived before I've set off ?
I'll try waiting half an hour before posting next time and will press the
SEND key slowly. It may be related to that time traveller who posted a few
days ago, marooned here with a broken warp drive. You all thought he was
some brain death hick with lots of free time, didn't you ??? Not so !!
This was for real !! Aasholligonti he was called, from the planet Bog.
He was so impressed with the 5U4G I sent him we had a quick flash around
the future before he dropped me off at home. Got so friendly with the guy
he let me call him Asshole

In 2065 the world is now divided into Westworld and the Axis of Evil.
Patrick has been declared a God by our beloved President, Mr Tim Williams
and Andre Jute has been stuffed and mounted in a glass case in the 'WHO
GIVES A ****' section of the Smithsonian.. As a result of a worldwide phone
in survey, Bill Gates has been sentenced to 25 years of pop-ups in San
Quentin.
Valves are now standard in all electronics as semiconductors became so small
nobody could find them anymore. A complete 2 x 100W audio system could
easily become lost in the fluff in your pocket
Ayatollah Kreuger of the Axis or Evil has, of course, forbidden anything
made of glass, and continues to worship at the silicon altar. Fears that he
may mount pre emptive strikes against Westworld have proved groundless
because the incoming artillery would be so minituarized nobody would notice.
You have no idea what is waiting for you in 2065.. Thanks to my buddy,
Asshole, I do..
Only downside to the visit was that I got run over by a school bus in 2011.
Enjoyed watching me own funeral though.
Eternally yours ..
jim

jim

"Andy Evans" wrote in message
You all thought he was
some brain death hick with lots of free time, didn't you ??? Not so !!
This was for real !! Aasholligonti he was called, from the planet Bog.

What do you do for a living? Tax inspector? Government whip? Hedge
trimmer......... I'm just trying to imagine your typical day.
"Morning, O beautiful but somewhat Goth one, can I have my mail, or is it
caught in a time warp round Gamma Nocturnus? Cancel my calls for the rest

of
the day...."

Really ?? Straight down the line ?? Got educated -- ex BSA Motorcycles
apprentice, BSA went bust.. Dropped out/trained as a flower child for 12
months. Coal mining..Engineering. Merchant Navy on Shell tankers. Salesman
for all sorts of things. You name it, I did it. 1981 opened a garage
business. Fuel sales, vehicle repairs, paint, bodywork. Still doing it.
Online share trade on London Stock Exchange and Wall St and do tubes as my
hobbies. Married to the incredibly lovely, Janice. Three kids 25, 18 and
15.
53. Had my fun. Just sitting back and watching the world go by, now.. Been
there.. done that...
Typical day ?? Sit in an office shuffling paper and problems people put on
my desk Take none of it very seriously and laugh at the silly side of
life.. George Dubya could irradiate me tomorrow..
regards
jim

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

Choky

haha!
that's real ****in' life!
where else we can write and read little stories from everyday life,except in
this ng?
not on RAHE or some similar macho overdose place..............
that's why I hangin' here..........
--
..
Choky

"don't use force,
use a larger hammer"
- ZM
..

jim

"Choky" wrote in message ...
the larch.

--
Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar

"don't use force,
use a larger hammer"
- ZM
.
"jim" wrote in message

and the Ministry of Silly Walks

jim

"TubeGarden" wrote in message
Hi RATs!

A life in the day of a sleeper:

Wake up. Take meds. Drink coffee. R/W email, boards, etc.

Nap. Eat lunch. R/W.

Nap. Eat dinner. Watch TV. R/W.

Sleep.

Listen to music all the time

Some days, for grins, I sleep thru lunch.

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead

People think my job is easy. They probably look at you and think the same.
Little do they realise what goes on 'behind the scenes' or the stress levels
we are exposed to. I am pleased to see that the medics are now warning that
stress and pressure are not always obvious. Apparently the most mild
mannered relaxed people can, inside, be a boiling cauldron of pent up
frustrations. I encourage my people to view me in this way.
Making the bed, winding up the alarm clock, putting the 'Do not disturb'
flag on the office door, can leave you mentally and physically drained
jim

Patrick Turner

jim wrote:

I have an entirely shagged plastic cased 120v/230v industrial

transformer
originally intended to run a hedge trimmer. It weighs about

40lb.....With a
2:1 imp ratio, could I use this for a SE KT88 amp ??
regards
jim

I'll play it safe, and say " NO ".

Food for thought,

Patrick Turner.

Patrick wound me a custom SE OT, weighs about 40 lbs, gorgeous, beautiful
work, but now my hedge trimmer smoked it's tranny. And the hedges are a
mess... Any way I could use it to replace the hedge-trimmer's iron?
-dim

Well, in another word "YES"

But there will be strange effects when trying to get Kylie and Nicole to
carry
on witht he hedge trimming at your place.
Once you start the trimmer, it will produce a sound automatically like the
folk song known here
as "Click go the Shears", about sheep shearing.

Just as Sony encode CDs with watermarks and anti piratical devices,
we here at TA encode our transformers to express their dismay at being used
outside in the sunshine by having the guts flogged outa them on hedges.
Also encoded are subliminal messages, so that Kylie and Nicole WILL
secumb, as sheilas do, of course, to suggestions,
and the bleedin hedge of yours will be cut to look like an aussie merino
sheep.

Using TA power chokes for hedge trimmers results in the hedge cut to look
like a drover's dog.

One thing fo sure is that Kylie and Nicole WILL develop
strong arms using the aforesaid trimmer altered to take TA iron.

But youse already noticed they look OK, and have strong arms,
they been here a few weeks fixin up my place already.

Patrick Turner.

doug

single ended hedge trimmer?
Chainsaw?
no crossover distortion

some extra noise in circuit from power supply though

Doug