D.D.

Default Zapco etc D/A converter help!

Hey folks

I am interested in using an aftermarket (Zapco, PPI, etc) D/A converter in
my system. The headunit is a STOCK 2000 Saab (Clarion?) unit.

I know the Zapco DAIISL has "analog inputs", but arent the analog outputs
from ANY headunit already processed by the internal D/A converter? That
would be D to A to D to A.... sounds pointless. And even if the headunit
were modified for digital out (which i'm sure is possible), where would the
analog output (tuner, XM radio, etc) connect?

If the headunit were modified for digital output, am I also correct to
assume that the signal would be extracted from the headunit before it enters
the preamp section? If so, I would not be able to use the volume, bass or
treble controls, requiring a separate preamplifier.

Any input on the situation would be greatly appreciated, whether it refers
to the Zapco, PPI, old Soundstream/Krell, or other high end D/A units.

Dave

MZ

Hey folks

I am interested in using an aftermarket (Zapco, PPI, etc) D/A converter in
my system. The headunit is a STOCK 2000 Saab (Clarion?) unit.

I know the Zapco DAIISL has "analog inputs", but arent the analog outputs
from ANY headunit already processed by the internal D/A converter? That
would be D to A to D to A.... sounds pointless.

D to A - A to D - D to A

And even if the headunit
were modified for digital out (which i'm sure is possible), where would

the
analog output (tuner, XM radio, etc) connect?

A to D - D to A (or in the case of some stock heads: A to D - D to A -A
to D - D to A).

If the headunit were modified for digital output, am I also correct to
assume that the signal would be extracted from the headunit before it

enters
the preamp section? If so, I would not be able to use the volume, bass or
treble controls, requiring a separate preamplifier.

Any input on the situation would be greatly appreciated, whether it refers
to the Zapco, PPI, old Soundstream/Krell, or other high end D/A units.

I think you've just illustrated to yourself the pointlessness of external
DACs. Yes, I fully expect to be criticized by all former owners of the
magical Nak DAC for making that statement.

Ok to use longer wires for line converter? heyitssed Car Audio 2 February 4th 04 06:04 AM
FS: Zapco 18' DIN balanced interconnects ReedLom Car Audio 0 December 4th 03 12:34 PM
FS: Zapco 18' DIN balanced interconnects ReedLom Car Audio 0 November 30th 03 11:18 AM
Jeff Zapco??? Pug Fugley Car Audio 0 November 1st 03 06:59 AM
DLS amps vs Zapco Amps Sam Carleton Car Audio 1 July 22nd 03 06:53 AM