Posted to rec.audio.car
Godfrey Muganda Godfrey Muganda is offline

Default Amp installation in 1996 -2000 Honda Accord

Hello,
I am trying to run a wire from the battery into the interior of the car
prior to amp installation.
The car is a 1996 Honda Accord, but I think the same car was manufactured
by Honda virtually unchanged
until 2000.

Does anybody know if there is already a hole in the firewall that I can use,
or do I have to drill one.
If so, where is the best place to drill? driver or passenger side.

Thanks for your help.

G.

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] Huber55@gmail.com is offline

On Mar 15, 12:24 pm, "Godfrey Muganda" wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to run a wire from the battery into the interior of the car
prior to amp installation.
The car is a 1996 Honda Accord, but I think the same car was manufactured
by Honda virtually unchanged
until 2000.

Does anybody know if there is already a hole in the firewall that I can use,
or do I have to drill one.
If so, where is the best place to drill? driver or passenger side.

Thanks for your help.

G.

i know that this is not the safest way to do it probably shouldnt be
done but i just routed mine through the crack in my door through the
inside of my engine bay, you can only see it when you open up the door
and then the wire gets slightly crimped from the door shutting on it,
ive had it like this for about a year or so and i still havent had the
insulation break apart causing a grounding. But thats a simple fast
way but kind of unsafe way to do it.

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Mar 17, 10:00 am, " wrote:
[...]

Yeah, don't do this. It is, in a word, "ghetto."

If you don't feel confident in drilling through your firewall (use a
UniBit, not a regular drill bit--google for "unibit"), then in most
Hondas you can get away with making a small incision in one of the
rubber boots that passes through your firewall. The important thing
here, of course, is that you don't accidentally slice the factory
wiring and that you don't make the hole too big--it should be smaller
than the wire you're trying to pass through it. Adding a dab of
silicone caulk to the area wouldn't hurt but isn't strictly necessary
either.

If you're not confident in doing this, I would recommend you take your
car to a reputable shop and pay them $25 to either drill the hole and
put a grommet in there, or show you exactly where you should route the
cable. If they tell you to run it over your fender or through your
door like this, run, don't walk, and find another shop.

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
Godfrey Muganda Godfrey Muganda is offline

Thank you all for your replies.
I will google the unibit.

G.
"D.Kreft" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 17, 10:00 am, " wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Godfrey Muganda Godfrey Muganda is offline

Thanks all for your help.

I found there is a pre-drilled hole under the carpet, right in front of the
front passenger seat.
I used that to run the amp wire through.

GM
"Godfrey Muganda" wrote in message
et...
Hello,
I am trying to run a wire from the battery into the interior of the car
prior to amp installation.
The car is a 1996 Honda Accord, but I think the same car was manufactured
by Honda virtually unchanged
until 2000.

Does anybody know if there is already a hole in the firewall that I can
use, or do I have to drill one.
If so, where is the best place to drill? driver or passenger side.

Thanks for your help.

G.

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Apr 6, 2:35 pm, "Godfrey Muganda" wrote:

I found there is a pre-drilled hole under the carpet, right in front
of the front passenger seat.
I used that to run the amp wire through.

You did use a grommet, right? If that wire is riding up against the
edge of your firewall's sheet metal, it's only a matter of time before
sparks start flying and the fires start burning (unless, of course,
you remembered to fuse the wire near the battery, in which case you'll
just blow fuses).

-dan