My Last Sigh

Default Grateful Dead Vocal mics - strange arrangement

I was just watching TV (PBS) and a Grateful Dead special came on. Looked
like the 80s, I think it was a Jerry Garcia film.

I noticed that every vocalist was singng to TWO mics , small mics, one
placed UNDER the other. I was wondering if anyone knows what they were
doing and what mics, the singers (Jerry, Bob, and some girl) were only
singling directly into the TOP mic.

hank alrich

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

--
ha

Julian

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:21:12 -0700, "My Last Sigh"
wrote:

I was just watching TV (PBS) and a Grateful Dead special came on. Looked
like the 80s, I think it was a Jerry Garcia film.

I noticed that every vocalist was singng to TWO mics , small mics, one
placed UNDER the other. I was wondering if anyone knows what they were
doing and what mics, the singers (Jerry, Bob, and some girl) were only
singling directly into the TOP mic.

See post a couple of days ago entitled "such a thing as "noise
canceling loudspeaker"."

They are noise canceling mikes for the wall of sound.

Julian

My Last Sigh

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

Thanks!

Bob Vandiver

"My Last Sigh" wrote:

I was just watching TV (PBS) and a Grateful Dead special came on. Looked
like the 80s, I think it was a Jerry Garcia film.

I noticed that every vocalist was singng to TWO mics , small mics, one
placed UNDER the other. I was wondering if anyone knows what they were
doing and what mics, the singers (Jerry, Bob, and some girl) were only
singling directly into the TOP mic.

Probably you were watching the Grateful Dead Movie, which was filmed in
'76 just before their "retirement." They were back by 78 but Jerry was
now on the road to being a junkie and Phil Lesh an alcoholic coke head,
according to Phil's new book, "Searching for the Sound." A better
application for the old 'chestnut' "Idle hands are the devil's tools,"
or something like that, cannot be found.

As for the movie, it's great and readily available. I think it was just
remastered.

Bob V
Scott Dorsey

My Last Sigh wrote:
I was just watching TV (PBS) and a Grateful Dead special came on. Looked
like the 80s, I think it was a Jerry Garcia film.

I noticed that every vocalist was singng to TWO mics , small mics, one
placed UNDER the other. I was wondering if anyone knows what they were
doing and what mics, the singers (Jerry, Bob, and some girl) were only
singling directly into the TOP mic.

Yes, this was part of the Wall of Sound system, which was just discussed
here a week ago. Basically the speaker system is behind the band producing
something that approximates a plane wave, and the microphones are dual
omnis wired out of phase, so anything directly in front of them is cancelled
out. An early proof of concept used B&K lab mikes but the band finally
settled on something with a pair of Panasonic capsules. The comb filtering
from the two mikes resulted in some very strange-sounding vocals (not
that Donna's voice wasn't pretty strange to begin with), and of course
all the instruments had to be taken direct or through amps miked offstage
in big padded lockers.

It was an interesting and innovative way to eliminate the need for monitors
while still keeping feedback down. The only problem is that it sounded
godawful.
Paul Stamler

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Yes, this was part of the Wall of Sound system, which was just discussed
here a week ago. Basically the speaker system is behind the band

producing
something that approximates a plane wave, and the microphones are dual
omnis wired out of phase, so anything directly in front of them is

cancelled
out. An early proof of concept used B&K lab mikes but the band finally
settled on something with a pair of Panasonic capsules. The comb

filtering
from the two mikes resulted in some very strange-sounding vocals (not
that Donna's voice wasn't pretty strange to begin with), and of course
all the instruments had to be taken direct or through amps miked offstage
in big padded lockers.

??? In the description of the system I saw, the guitars and bass ran through
Alembic preamps (basically the preamp section of a Fender Twin, put into a
1RU box) into McIntosh power amps.

Peace,
Paul

Edwin Hurwitz

Bob Vandiver wrote:

In article ,
"My Last Sigh" wrote:

[...]

It was filmed in 1974 and the film took 3 years to see the light of day.
It was not only remastered, but extensively restored and remixed which
made it sound incredibly better (although back in '77 when it came out,
it was one of the first quad movies and sounded pretty damn cool to my
16 year old ears at the Coolidge Corner Theater). The mastering for both
the movie and accompanying soundtrack were done here by Boulder's own
David Glasser at Airshow. It's worth seeing and the extra features are
also worth checking out.

Edwin
--
http://www.theetherealplane.com
Bob Vandiver

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

In article ,
Bob Vandiver wrote:

In article ,
"My Last Sigh" wrote:

[...]

Nope, it was done in '76 and was 3 or so nights at Winterland (I think).
The concerts were filmed because it was thought that the Dead were
definitely retiring after those shows. They were still going very strong
when I saw them in '74.

The film did take a while to produce (not to mention cash). Jerry
produced it and advocated for the animation sequence that opened the
film. Phil jokes that this was the best part of the film. Phil suggests
that Jerry turned to smokeable smack partly in reaction to producing the
film.

Bob V

Ty Ford

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:10:05 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
My Last Sigh wrote:
[...]

--scott

Why am I "remembering" that dual MD 421 were used for vocals?

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

hank alrich

Ty Ford wrote:

Why am I "remembering" that dual MD 421 were used for vocals?

You keep forgetting not to go there...

--
ha
Art Cohen

says...
In article ,
Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

In article ,
Bob Vandiver wrote:

In article ,
"My Last Sigh" wrote:

[...]

Edwin is correct. It was filmed over 4 or 5 nights (October 16-20, 1974)
at Winterland. I think the cameras weren't there on the 16th. But
unquestionably it was 1974. The "wall of sound" and the dual out-of-phase
vocal mics were not used when the GD resumed touring in June of 1976.

Agent 86

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:20:08 -0400, Ty Ford wrote:

Why am I "remembering" that dual MD 421 were used for vocals?

dunno, how many cups of kool-aid did you have?

Paul Stamler

"Agent 86" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:20:08 -0400, Ty Ford wrote:

Why am I "remembering" that dual MD 421 were used for vocals?

dunno, how many cups of kool-aid did you have?

Did they do a trial run with 421s? I seem to remember seeing a picture of
Jerry singing into one of a pair.

Peace,
Paul

bruce seifried

"Paul Stamler" wrote:

"Agent 86" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:20:08 -0400, Ty Ford wrote:

Why am I "remembering" that dual MD 421 were used for vocals?

dunno, how many cups of kool-aid did you have?

Did they do a trial run with 421s? I seem to remember seeing a picture of
Jerry singing into one of a pair.

Peace,
Paul

At one point, I believe they were using pairs of RE55s. I imagine it was
all an ongoing experiment...

bruce seifried
eclair engineering
Scott Dorsey

Paul Stamler wrote:
"Agent 86" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:20:08 -0400, Ty Ford wrote:

Why am I "remembering" that dual MD 421 were used for vocals?

dunno, how many cups of kool-aid did you have?

Did they do a trial run with 421s? I seem to remember seeing a picture of
Jerry singing into one of a pair.

I don't think they did with the Wall of Sound, but I may be mistaken. But
taping two 421s together for dual record+PA vocal feeds was not an unusual
practice back then.

Ty Ford

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 03:14:34 -0400, Paul Stamler wrote
(in article ):

"Agent 86" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:20:08 -0400, Ty Ford wrote:

Why am I "remembering" that dual MD 421 were used for vocals?

dunno, how many cups of kool-aid did you have?

Did they do a trial run with 421s? I seem to remember seeing a picture of
Jerry singing into one of a pair.

Peace,
Paul

Thanks Paul. I guess we were smoking the same stuff.

Did the flashbacks ever stop for you?

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Paul Stamler

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

Why am I "remembering" that dual MD 421 were used for vocals?

dunno, how many cups of kool-aid did you have?

Did they do a trial run with 421s? I seem to remember seeing a picture

of
Jerry singing into one of a pair.

Thanks Paul. I guess we were smoking the same stuff.

Did the flashbacks ever stop for you?

What flashbacks? Where in the green sodapop curve trillium puppy biscuit?
Uh, what were we talking about?

Peace,
Paul

It was an interesting and innovative way to eliminate the need for monitors
while still keeping feedback down. The only problem is that it sounded
godawful.

The Wall of Sound : What happens when you give tripping techs and
musicians too much money.

"Dude I can see it too. We'll need like 500 speakers, it'll look
totally cool."

hank alrich

tymish wrote:

It was an interesting and innovative way to eliminate the need for monitors
while still keeping feedback down. The only problem is that it sounded
godawful.

The Wall of Sound : What happens when you give tripping techs and
musicians too much money.

"Dude I can see it too. We'll need like 500 speakers, it'll look
totally cool."

It actually was a very interesting experiment, and the AES paper is well
worth reading. I heard it one time and it sounded good that day in that
venue. Had transportation costs not inflated to make it unaffordable we
might have seen some progress from it. One of the problems was the need
for very precise vocal technique, and this made it nearly unusable by
other bands in multi-act shows.

--
ha

I wonder if some sort of headworn dual mic thing would have helped.
Seems academic now with in ear monitoring.

Scott Dorsey

I wonder if some sort of headworn dual mic thing would have helped.

No, because the whole point of the dual mike system is that it cancels
out signal coming from one direction, right in front of the mike pair.

If you put it on a headset, you now have to have your head pointed in
the same direction at all times.

Seems academic now with in ear monitoring.

For the most part it is. It was a silly idea. I'm glad somebody tried
it, though.

If you put it on a headset, you now have to have your head pointed in
the same direction at all times.

But as long as both mics move together wouldn't the phase cancellation
still apply?

Scott Dorsey

If you put it on a headset, you now have to have your head pointed in
the same direction at all times.

But as long as both mics move together wouldn't the phase cancellation
still apply?

Right, but the direction that it's cancelling from is changing. Turn
the pair 90 degrees, and now you have the PA system right in the main lobe.

SSJVCmag

On 6/16/05 1:22 PM, in article , "Scott Dorsey"

I wonder if some sort of headworn dual mic thing would have helped.

No, because the whole point of the dual mike system is that it cancels
out signal coming from one direction, right in front of the mike pair.

If you put it on a headset, you now have to have your head pointed in
the same direction at all times.

Seems academic now with in ear monitoring.

For the most part it is. It was a silly idea. I'm glad somebody tried
it, though.

Silly? Nahhh... The idea was that each instrument DIRECTLY addressed the
audience, from as identifiable a point as possible...
--no matter how big the venue--.
A line array becomes something ressembling a horizontally-discernable point
source and could carry, the larger the venue, the larger the line-array.
Thus we get The Wall system and a commensurately HUGE 'backline' (not really
a term since this system doesn;t HAVE a 'front line') and in order to get
vocal isolation SOMETHING has to happen.

Only other place I saw this attempted was in the first 2 US tours of Cirque
du Soleil ('89? + 91?) in which the BAND did this with massive numbers of
stacked BOSE 802's dedicated in vertical lines to each instrument in the
band.

Both itterations worked marvelously, regardless of kneejerk naysayer
theorists. It works as it's designers intended, sounds great BECAUSE of the
directional cues and identifiability, and the only real drawback is that
it's physically daunting and unwieldy to tour with on larger scales.
Bose's recent reintroduction of this in a easy-carry package is very fun.
And please let's NOT get back into the old Hose Bose nonsense.

Ty Ford

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:45:45 -0400, Paul Stamler wrote
(in article ):

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

Why am I "remembering" that dual MD 421 were used for vocals?

dunno, how many cups of kool-aid did you have?

Did they do a trial run with 421s? I seem to remember seeing a picture

of
Jerry singing into one of a pair.

Thanks Paul. I guess we were smoking the same stuff.

Did the flashbacks ever stop for you?

What flashbacks? Where in the green sodapop curve trillium puppy biscuit?
Uh, what were we talking about?

Peace,
Paul

Exactly! I think we're fading a bit. Try this Guam Turnaround Black Beauty,
it should keep you going til ....what were we talking about?

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

I dunno but the treble from those horn drivers tastes weird......