Mike Caffrey

Default Redbook CD/Firewire Drive/Mac

Is there anyway to brun a rebook standard CD with an internal or firewire
drive using a Mac? I can do ithe with MasterList CD and a SCSI drive but
Iv'e heard that Jam does not burn redbook standad CDs and Toast doesn't
allow you to tweak the P&Q codes. what can I use on a G4 running 9.2?

www.monsterisland.com
EggHd

Is there anyway to brun a rebook standard CD with an internal or firewire
drive using a Mac?

I burn discs with Jam on a firewire drive and a mac.

Iv'e heard that Jam does not burn redbook standad CDs and Toast doesn't
allow you to tweak the P&Q codes.

I have not heard that. I used to use Jam 2.6 and now use the Jam 5 and Toast
combo. Works great. I have recently sent discs to EMI, Sony, BMG and
Universal plants that were all accepted and released, so something must be
working.

---------------------------------------
Justin Ulysses Morse

You can get aPCI SCSI card for next to nothing nowadaze. Assuming your
G4 isn't a powerbook or ibook, and assuming you already own MLCD,
that's probably the cheapes way to go.

On the other hand, I'd be surprised if a disc written by Jam isn't
replicator-ready. There may be some index manipulation that you can't
do as well as with MLCD, but that's about it.

ulysses

In article , Mike
Caffrey wrote:

Is there anyway to brun a rebook standard CD with an internal or firewire
drive using a Mac? I can do ithe with MasterList CD and a SCSI drive but
Iv'e heard that Jam does not burn redbook standad CDs and Toast doesn't
allow you to tweak the P&Q codes. what can I use on a G4 running 9.2?

EggHd

There may be some index manipulation that you can't do as well as with
MLCD, but that's about it.

MLCD is a very cool program and compared to Jam you nailed it. Of course Digi
doesn't support MLCD anymore.

Also a goofy part of Jam (that I find goofy, anyway) is on the PQ sheet, you
can't rename the song titles like you can in MLCD. THAT sucks.

---------------------------------------
EggHd

ou can also look into Waveburner
by Emagic. Its user interface is a bit like Sonic Solutions, and it can
work with VST plugins.

How do you see it being anything like Sonic?

---------------------------------------

Justin Ulysses Morse

Chris Smalt wrote:

You can also look into Waveburner
by Emagic. Its user interface is a bit like Sonic Solutions, and it can
work with VST plugins. I don't know why it hardly gets mentioned.

The version I looked at only supports SCSI burners, and only particular
models, which is exactly the same problem MLCD has. Other than that,
the only real difference seems to be the interface: Lists in MLCD, and
graphics in Waveburner Pro.

ulysses
david

In article , Justin Ulysses
Morse wrote:

You can get aPCI SCSI card for next to nothing nowadaze. Assuming your
G4 isn't a powerbook or ibook, and assuming you already own MLCD,
that's probably the cheapes way to go.

The bitch will be authorizing the hard drive without a floppy.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
Mike Caffrey

In article ,
(EggHd) wrote:

There may be some index manipulation that you can't do as well as with
MLCD, but that's about it.

MLCD is a very cool program and compared to Jam you nailed it. Of course Digi
doesn't support MLCD anymore.

Also a goofy part of Jam (that I find goofy, anyway) is on the PQ sheet, you
can't rename the song titles like you can in MLCD. THAT sucks.

Really? I haven't been able to burn with Jam and usually dont' ahve the
time for the labels, but it seemd easier that MLCD.

You can get additional validation disks from Digi that can be use with a
specifc type of USB Superdrive that requires specific drivers off the web.

Digi if you're reading this, since you're not selling it any more can you
cut out the security portion and make it free. Comeon it will get the Digi
band on everyon's computers.

Btw, if you are buying a Mac for anyting. Tekserve in NYC has the most
unbelieveble tech support. You probably don't need ot be NYC based for
purchases or the folling support. I don't think the give support if you're
not a customer. but boy did they got out of their way to help me get
everything running. They're also a ProTools dealer, but I think their
sales region has some limitations from Digi. I have no affiliation with
them, but I will definitley buy from they without bothering to shop
anywhere else. It's just safer. I also use the firewire drives that they
assemble exclusively.They cot about $15 extra, btu have been for more
reliabel than any other firewire drives I've used.

www.monsterisland.com
Mike Caffrey

In article , david wrote:

In article , Justin Ulysses
Morse wrote:

You can get aPCI SCSI card for next to nothing nowadaze. Assuming your
G4 isn't a powerbook or ibook, and assuming you already own MLCD,
that's probably the cheapes way to go.

The bitch will be authorizing the hard drive without a floppy.

USB Superdrive and extentions you can find in the digidesign site.

www.monsterisland.com
EggHd

Did your CDs go to a mastering engineer before the plant?

No. Right from here to the plant.

---------------------------------------
Justin Ulysses Morse

Mike Caffrey wrote:

I've been doing live albums that are one solid audiofile and need PQ
codes. They get sent for mastering, but the deadlines are tight and the
P&Q codes have to be approved before they are sent for mastering.
Otheriwse I'd let the masting engineer deal with it.

This is essentially the way I like to work. I'm not usually doing live
work, but I like to edit an album together and really fine-tune the
segues before I start worrying about making CDs. So i bring a single
large file into MLCD and then add track numbers throughout that one
item. My brief dabbling with Jam gave me the impression you couldn't
do it with that program. Jam seems to insist that soundfiles and track
IDs coincide, which is moronic.

ulysses
EggHd

So i bring a single
large file into MLCD and then add track numbers throughout that one
item.

Where do you work on the spacing?

---------------------------------------
LeBaron & Alrich

Chris Smalt wrote:

You can also look into Waveburner by Emagic. Its user interface is a bit
like Sonic Solutions, and it can work with VST plugins. I don't know why
it hardly gets mentioned.

I like WB Pro; though as seems routine, my ability to grasp its finer
points from the manuals is somewhat lacking. But it is a cool program
and as I get to know it better I like it better.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement

LeBaron & Alrich

EggHd wrote:

You can also look into Waveburner
by Emagic. Its user interface is a bit like Sonic Solutions, and it can
work with VST plugins.

Is it still being made?

Yes.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"
LeBaron & Alrich

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

Chris Smalt wrote:

You can also look into Waveburner
by Emagic. Its user interface is a bit like Sonic Solutions, and it can
work with VST plugins. I don't know why it hardly gets mentioned.

The version I looked at only supports SCSI burners, and only particular
models, which is exactly the same problem MLCD has. Other than that,
the only real difference seems to be the interface: Lists in MLCD, and
graphics in Waveburner Pro.

WB Pro 2.2 supports ****loads of FW burners. I run it with the internal
in the TiBook and with an exernal Glyph/Plextor FW burner.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"
LeBaron & Alrich

EggHd wrote:

So i bring a single
large file into MLCD and then add track numbers throughout that one
item.

Where do you work on the spacing?

In Waverburner Pro you can spec a number (i.e., amount of time) for each
space.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"
EggHd

In Waverburner Pro you can spec a number (i.e., amount of time) for each
space

I checked out Wave Burner Pro yesterday after the thread and it seems very much
like Peak and Spark. The editing seemed a bit goofy, but first time looking at
something can be deceiving.

---------------------------------------
EggHd

I think Emagic means for us to edit in a regular editor
and then do some special things realting to premastering in WBP.

That makes sense. Kinda like MLCD or Jam on steriods.

---------------------------------------

EggHd

The audio content prevents that in the specific cases I'm haing to deal
with.

This begs for the question "what is the audio content?"

---------------------------------------
Justin Ulysses Morse

In article , EggHd
wrote:

SoundDesigner II. I make a region for each song, put them all in a
playlist, then use the playlist nudge editor to get the crossfades just
right.

Right. So you don't need Jam or MLCD to do anything other than burn the CD,
correct?

Spezackly.

So you then send an audio CD to a mastering engineer? I'm a bit foggy on that
part.

Often times (most of the time) I AM the mastering engineer. I tend to
work on projects with no budget (be advised, this is bad business
practice) and although I tell my clients they need to find a budget for
mastering, the $100 or so they could usually scrape together would put
the project into the hands of somebody far less qualified than myself,
so I usually take care of a rather minimalist final polish. When I do
use a real mastering house, I typically have brought them a single
24-bit SDII file, though I've learned that most mastering guys would
prefer to have individual song files to process separately. So when I
have the budget for a mastering engineer I actually trust, I just leave
the whole mess for them.

ulysses
Justin Ulysses Morse

LeBaron & Alrich wrote:

WB Pro 2.2 supports ****loads of FW burners. I run it with the internal
in the TiBook and with an exernal Glyph/Plextor FW burner.

Hey, that's awesome. I was using 2.0, and now that I look at it again
I can't be positive it wouldn't see FW drives. I'll have to try again.
Isn't Emagic the company that got bought up by Apple? Will they
discontinue WB Pro?

ulysses
Justin Ulysses Morse

In article , LeBaron &
Alrich wrote:

EggHd wrote:

So i bring a single
large file into MLCD and then add track numbers throughout that one
item.

Where do you work on the spacing?

In Waverburner Pro you can spec a number (i.e., amount of time) for each
space.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but I *think* WBP will
do what I want. I want to put ONE sound file into the program, and
tell it to have 15 different CD tracks, each with different pre-gap
times, and the audio will continue to play during the pre-gap. No
digital silence anywhere except the first two and last two seconds of
the whole CD.

ulysses

Justin Ulysses Morse

EggHd wrote:

I think Emagic means for us to edit in a regular editor
and then do some special things realting to premastering in WBP.

That makes sense. Kinda like MLCD or Jam on steriods.

Yeah, it seems basically to be like MLCD but with a graphical
interface, and support for plug-ins and non-digi audio hardware and
new, non-SCSI burners. In other words, exactly what I need to migrate
away from these archaeic machines I'm using. But is it OSX-compatible?

ulysses
EggHd

Often times (most of the time) I AM the mastering engineer.

Cool. Somehow I thought you then sent this to a mastering engineer and I was
wondering how they could keep all the PQ in place.

---------------------------------------
EggHd

I think I understand what you're saying, and I think you're right about
JAM but not about MLCD.

I thought both Jam and MLCD will imprt regions and set them up as tracks.

---------------------------------------
EggHd

But is it OSX-compatible?

I believe the newest version is. FYI Spark and Peak burn directly to disc now
as well.

---------------------------------------

LeBaron & Alrich

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

LeBaron & Alrich wrote:

WB Pro 2.2 supports ****loads of FW burners. I run it with the internal
in the TiBook and with an exernal Glyph/Plextor FW burner.

Hey, that's awesome. I was using 2.0, and now that I look at it again
I can't be positive it wouldn't see FW drives.

Emagic offered a demo download of WB 1.something that didn't support FW
drives, and then it tiik them a while (vut not ages) to get the 2.xxx
iterations up to handling most FW drives. With 2.2 they covered what
they said were all Apple internal drives and started adding FW drives at
a prodigious rate.

I'll have to try again.
Isn't Emagic the company that got bought up by Apple? Will they
discontinue WB Pro?

Yes, Apple bought them, but word is that WBP will grow, not disappear.
I'd imagine something like integrated DVD-recordable of some kinds, and
so forth. And I wouldn't mind some expansion of the editing
capabilities, unless it's my own stupidity combined with their manual
that's keeping me from some of it.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"
LeBaron & Alrich

Chris Smalt wrote:

And when you
begin a new session in WB, the Wave Window is obscured by the other
windows.

You can tell it to remember what your windows setup pref is. I get the
wave window across the top of the screen, the region window lower left,
and the track window lower right. I sometimes use the meter window
floating over one of the lower ones, but not as part of my usual config.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"
EggHd

Well now I'm sort of lost with what your saying, but this originated with
me trying to find a replacement for MLCD since I can't use it on my new
G4.

I have replaced MLCD with Toast with Jam and find it to be a worthy substitute
other then the few gripes mentioned earlier.

---------------------------------------
EggHd

According to their manuals, Spark and Peak only create an image, that
subsequently gets burned by the MacOS (Spark) and Toast (Peak). Does
Peak come with a OEM version of Toast?

From what I read on both websites, the newest version of each support direct
disc burning.

---------------------------------------
Justin Ulysses Morse

Mike Caffrey wrote:

Well now I'm sort of lost with what your saying, but this originated with
me trying to find a replacement for MLCD since I can't use it on my new
G4.

Someone sent me an email with a description of Toast/Jam off Berklee's
website. It said that Jam burns redbook standard CDs.

Sorry. I think you're the guy who was talking about making CDs of live
performances and wanting to import a single "concert" file into your
disc burning program. Maybe it was somebody else. Anyway, that's
similar to the way I work and I have found Jam to be pretty useless for
this kind of work, though maybe I just needed to mess around more.
Wave Burner Pro definitely seems to be the way to go now that I know
more about it. Support for modern burners, continued development, a
modest editor, full control of indexing, pregaps, etc. and even support
for VST plug-ins. Sounds like a wiener to me. I will be spending some
time with it.

ulysses
Justin Ulysses Morse

EggHd wrote:

I guess maybe I could consolidate the region, make cuts, but then I'd
still have to make tweaks to cut out the two second gaps that most CD
burning programs.

You can set those to 0 seconds. There wil be no gap and it's a global
preference setting.

That sucks just as badly. What happens when you have 20 seconds of
applause between cuts? Setting the gap to 0 means you have to listen
to all that crap, no matter what, and it kind of ruins the disc for
radio play. With MLCD, you can set the pregap to be 20 seconds, and
all the applause can be in that pregap. So when you cue up a single
track, you simply don't hear the applause. It gets skipped because the
track begins playing at index 1 and stops at the next track's index 0.

ulysses