Posted to rec.audio.pro
ernest ernest is offline

Default Cubase metering

In Cubase, for the meters in the mixer view, there are two numbers
with each meter. The one at the bottom I know it is the fader setting,
but the top one I'm not too sure if it is average or peak (or
something else?). Another related question - I realize I can reset it
to -infinity by changing the fader, but is there another way to reset
it?

Seems like even for the newer Cubase 4 / Studio doesn't have any
numeric marking besides the meters (other than the master). I find
this really useful (I think cakewalk has) and I don't understand why
they don't put it in as an option. Maybe you guys can explain to me
'why I do not need the numeric marking'?

Ernest

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1 Feb 2007 14:59:44 -0800, "ernest" wrote:

Seems like even for the newer Cubase 4 / Studio doesn't have any
numeric marking besides the meters (other than the master). I find
this really useful (I think cakewalk has) and I don't understand why
they don't put it in as an option. Maybe you guys can explain to me
'why I do not need the numeric marking'?

Well, why do you? How would numbers help?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Deputy Dumbya Dawg Deputy Dumbya Dawg is offline

"ernest" wrote in message
ps.com...
: In Cubase, for the meters in the mixer view, there
are two numbers
: with each meter. The one at the bottom I know it is
the fader setting,
: but the top one I'm not too sure if it is average or
peak (or
: something else?). Another related question - I
realize I can reset it
: to -infinity by changing the fader, but is there
another way to reset
: it?
It is the peak hold level. Click on the clip light or
change the gain to reset it.

peace
dawg

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ernest ernest is offline

On Feb 1, 7:10 pm, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
On 1 Feb 2007 14:59:44 -0800, "ernest" wrote:

Seems like even for the newer Cubase 4 / Studio doesn't have any
numeric marking besides the meters (other than the master). I find
this really useful (I think cakewalk has) and I don't understand why
they don't put it in as an option. Maybe you guys can explain to me
'why I do not need the numeric marking'?

Well, why do you? How would numbers help?

I use it as a visual cue to help me remember roughly what level a
track is at (average/peak) and with the number in mind, compare with
another track. Isn't it the purpose of the meter? Without the
numeric markings, I basically have to remember the relative position
of the markings.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

ernest wrote:

I use it as a visual cue to help me remember roughly what level a
track is at (average/peak) and with the number in mind, compare with
another track. Isn't it the purpose of the meter?

No, the purpose of a meter (at least those meters) is to tell you that
you're recording at the proper level. For that, they're very
important. After that, you could turn them off. Your ears are supposed
to tell you what level it is compared to another track.

But who am I to suggest that you change your way of working. If
"visual" mixing works for you, good enough.