Paul Beauchamp

Default Alternatives to live drummers..

Ok, so Im an ex cool edit/fruity loops bedroom producer producing their own
material with a kinda 'indie' vibe..
Anyway, Im really having trouble with my drums. I used to play in a band and
we'd get some great sounds and live drumming from just mic-ing up my
drummer, of course it sounded raw and genuine..

Now that Im making music on my own, every drum sequence I make just sounds
'flat' and just like a bunch of samples sequenced together.. :-(

So does anyone know any programs, plugins whatever to get that real live
drummer sound? Im currently downloading Steinberg Groove Agent with my
fingers crossed that thats what Im looking for.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Paul

Rob Reedijk

...a dead drummer?

Seriously, you might make it a bit better by taking your sequenced sounds
and play them through an amp/speaker setup and mic it. Sometimes you
need to glue it all together.

Rob R.

Paul Beauchamp wrote:
Ok, so Im an ex cool edit/fruity loops bedroom producer producing their own
material with a kinda 'indie' vibe..
Anyway, Im really having trouble with my drums. I used to play in a band and
we'd get some great sounds and live drumming from just mic-ing up my
drummer, of course it sounded raw and genuine..

Now that Im making music on my own, every drum sequence I make just sounds
'flat' and just like a bunch of samples sequenced together.. :-(

So does anyone know any programs, plugins whatever to get that real live
drummer sound? Im currently downloading Steinberg Groove Agent with my
fingers crossed that thats what Im looking for.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Paul

Charles Thomas

So does anyone know any programs, plugins whatever to get that real live
drummer sound?

If there were software that got that "real live drummer sound" do you
think any of us would put up with drummers?

They're the biggest pain in the ass there is!!

CT

DavidMackBlauvelt

Charles Thomas wrote in
:

So does anyone know any programs, plugins whatever to get that real
live drummer sound?

If there were software that got that "real live drummer sound" do you
think any of us would put up with drummers?

They're the biggest pain in the ass there is!!

CT

A guitar player perhaps? Maybe one that can't figure out why nobody
wants to drum to his or her endless meaningless wails. But hey, maybe
they will have a spiritual plug-in for "that feel" eventually, but as
Ringo said -- "you know it don't come easy."

Rick Powell

"Paul Beauchamp" wrote in message ...
Ok, so Im an ex cool edit/fruity loops bedroom producer producing their own
material with a kinda 'indie' vibe..
Anyway, Im really having trouble with my drums. I used to play in a band and
we'd get some great sounds and live drumming from just mic-ing up my
drummer, of course it sounded raw and genuine..

Now that Im making music on my own, every drum sequence I make just sounds
'flat' and just like a bunch of samples sequenced together.. :-(

So does anyone know any programs, plugins whatever to get that real live
drummer sound? Im currently downloading Steinberg Groove Agent with my
fingers crossed that thats what Im looking for.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Paul

Among the multitude of "drum loop" CDs that are real drummers
recorded, small timing fluctuations & grooves & all, you ought to be
able to find something you could cut & paste together that would work.
Next thing best to a real drummer is an already-recorded real
drummer. Maybe you could get a "real drummer" to help you with the
editing of fills, etc. so it sounds more natural. Of course, if you
spend enough time doiing this, you maybe could've actually recorded a
real drummer playing the part!

I know a guy who used a drum track (world-famous drummer) from his
previous record, wrote a new song over the beat, and released it on
his next record. With the budget the record co. gave him, it made
more sense than the alternative.

RP
Rob Adelman

John L Rice wrote:

Oh yeah???! Just for that I'm gonna play too loud, rush my fills, drag my
beats, live on your couch, drink your last beer, throw up in your car, pee
in the corner of the band room, miss practices, be late for gigs, screw your
girl friend, and only change my rehearsal tee shirt once a week!

l.o.l.

My drummer has done all of those!

Well, he has never screwed my girl friend. Not that I know of...

NeilH011

Oh yeah???! Just for that I'm gonna play too loud, rush my fills, drag my
beats, live on your couch, drink your last beer, throw up in your car, pee
in the corner of the band room, miss practices, be late for gigs, screw your
girl friend, and only change my rehearsal tee shirt once a week!

Considering that most drummers can only manage to show up for rehearsal once
every two weeks at best, that last part wouldn't really bother too many people.

NeilH
sgordon

Paul Beauchamp wrote:
: So does anyone know any programs, plugins whatever to get that real live
: drummer sound?

Dang, I'm a drummer still looking for some software to
produce that real live guitar player sound....

Scott

Paul Beauchamp

"sgordon" wrote in message
Paul Beauchamp wrote:
: So does anyone know any programs, plugins whatever to get that real live
: drummer sound?

Dang, I'm a drummer still looking for some software to
produce that real live guitar player sound....

Steinberg advertise their Virtual Guitarist software to do that...
Or we could do some sessions for each other!! Where do you live?

Paul

Scott

Darrell Klein

[snip]

I know a guy who used a drum track (world-famous drummer) from his
previous record, wrote a new song over the beat, and released it on
his next record. With the budget the record co. gave him, it made
more sense than the alternative.

RP

Hey, I have no budget except my own, but I have about 56 hours of
drum tracks played by a real (monster) drummer, who has since
tragically died.

As a side note, he auditioned with the Who after Keith Moon died. He
wasn't hired, but that was his level of skill and approach to the
drums. Anyway, now he's gone and my guitarist and I are tinkering
together new songs over old drum parts. It is a real interesting
challenge.

Empty Planet

Check out Slicy Drummer and a companion app called something like Slicy
Fills. It generates MIDI drum patterns that are better than average. Not
inspired, but better than average. And the patterns are tweakable.

It's a whole new skill to be able to find the right samples and make them
work in a believable way, though, but it can indeed be done. Excellent --
and appropriate -- use of compression tools and great reverb can sometimes
bring you a result that might surprise you.