Bill Briare

Default Advice on drum sessions

I've had a home project studio for years but always recorded drum sessions
at local 'pro' studios. I have an opportunity to do a batch of drum tracks
here and am pretty familiar with miking techniques. We will only be able to
input 6 tracks at a time so will have to limit our options.
Here's the basic question in terms of signal paths:

Available mics:
6 SM 57's
2 AT4051
1 Shure SM7B
1 Rode NT1
1 Rode NTK
1 Beyer M88
2 Beyer M69
1 Audix D2

PreAmps:
Yamaha OV1 (8 channels)
FMR RNP (2 channels)

Compressor:
RNC (stereo 2 channels)

1. Where would be the best use of the RNP and RNC? Should I use them on the
overheads? Kick and Snare?
2. I'm planning on the 4051's as the overheads. Other better usage?
3. I'm planning on kick, snare, 2 OH, and mix toms to stereo? Better usage?
4. Is a stereo compressor a good idea on overheads or are the signals too
different and best left alone?
5. I could also do a couple of room mics (its a nice sounding fairly dead
loft) to a DAT for later fly-in.

Thanks for any input. We track next Th/F and I'd like to limit my testing
time for different mics and pre-amps so we can spend more time tracking.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
BB

John Cafarella

"Bill Briare" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I'd try this:
OH's: 4051's - RNP
Kick inside : Beyer m88
Kick outside: NT-1, close to the floor, a bit on the snare side pointing up.
Sna SM57
Room mic: Rode NTK

I'd try swapping the NT1 and NTK if the high hat sounds too "spitty".

Leave the RNC in the box, and do your compression at mixdown.

At mixdown time, rely heavily on the OH's, so spend the time positioning
these to sound good.

--
John Cafarella
End Of the Road Studio

Timo Haanpää

Bill Briare wrote:
1. Where would be the best use of the RNP and RNC? Should I use them on the
overheads? Kick and Snare?

I'd use the RNP on kick (m88) & snare (57) and the RNP on
overheads (4051's).

2. I'm planning on the 4051's as the overheads. Other better usage?

That's what I'd do.

3. I'm planning on kick, snare, 2 OH, and mix toms to stereo? Better usage?

That's one option. I'd probably do 1 kick 2 sd 3%4 oh + toms 5 bass
and still have one track left for scratch vocal+gtr or something
else. I don't normally do room mics, I find that I get enough
room from compressing the overheads, but that's just my opinion.

4. Is a stereo compressor a good idea on overheads or are the signals too
different and best left alone?

If you are recording as you suggest, there's probably no need
for compression.

Timo