Andy Eng

Default KRK Monitors?

Greetings,

Been at this now for a couple years and got to the point on the list
where is says "get some reference monitors". Having gotten a set, I
only wish I had gotten some earlier... :-)

After a bunch of A/B'ing what the local store had with my reference
CD, I homed in on a pair of KRK PR-8's. Really didn't find much on
KRK after googling.

I'm comfortable with these and starting to get good use out of them,
simply wondering if somebody could comment where these KRK's sat in
the spectrum? Was contemplating the Yorkville YSM-1 and some Tannoys
but they didn't have any to compare with.

Just curious,
Andy

Ken / Eleven Shadows

I'm comfortable with these and starting to get good use out of them,
simply wondering if somebody could comment where these KRK's sat in
the spectrum? Was contemplating the Yorkville YSM-1 and some Tannoys
but they didn't have any to compare with.

I'll try and answer your question. I have mixed on KRK K-ROKS (I
think that was the name of these NFs from several years back, where it
was advertised with a picture of Easter Island). I liked them for
listening, but found some difficulty in making them translate because
they didn't have the best bass response and they seemed to make
everything sound really good. Of course, this is just my opinion
after mixing a couple of songs on them, and additionally, these are
not your monitors, so take it for what that's worth (possibly,
absolutely nothing! g).

I currently mix on some Yorkville YSM-1 passives that I purchased
about ten years ago. I think that they're pretty good for the money,
but nothing to jump up and down and get excited over. I still have to
check my mixes on multiple speaker systems to make sure I'm getting it
right on. In other words, I don't trust them. I get mixes pretty
close, but there are some things that I still don't notice right away
until I go and listen on other monitors. They still don't translate
the way I would like.

I've had to overhaul my monitoring system for a while (I am powering
these with a Kenwood A/V stereo receiver - see, this just keeps
getting worse and worse...).

The best monitor I've heard in recent months has been the ADAM S3A.
Now, at ~US$4400/pair, that is totally out of my price range!!!
However, the ADAM P11A is not, and still sounds really great. That is
what I am considering at the moment. For detail, imaging, showing me
what is really happening in my audio, clarity, and showing me
everything I'm doing right and wrong in tracking and mixing, this
monitor just completely smokes the K-ROKS and YSM-1s. It's not a fair
comparison, but shrugs shoulders.

I hope this slightly rambling email helps. Look, I've been up late
studying for exams, and this is the post that you get!! g

Ken/Eleven Shadows
http://www.elevenshadows.com
http://www.blueberrybuddha.com

Andy Eng

On 4 Jun 2004 23:04:57 -0700, (Ken / Eleven
Shadows) wrote:

I'm comfortable with these and starting to get good use out of them,
simply wondering if somebody could comment where these KRK's sat in
the spectrum? Was contemplating the Yorkville YSM-1 and some Tannoys
but they didn't have any to compare with.

I'll try and answer your question. I have mixed on KRK K-ROKS (I
think that was the name of these NFs from several years back, where it
was advertised with a picture of Easter Island). I liked them for
listening, but found some difficulty in making them translate because
they didn't have the best bass response and they seemed to make
everything sound really good. Of course, this is just my opinion
after mixing a couple of songs on them, and additionally, these are
not your monitors, so take it for what that's worth (possibly,
absolutely nothing! g).

These don't have subwoofers so I nudged the bass EQ up a tweak to were
they almost match my Sennheiser headphones. Seems to work.

The part about making everything sound really good is interesting...

snip

I've had to overhaul my monitoring system for a while (I am powering
these with a Kenwood A/V stereo receiver - see, this just keeps
getting worse and worse...).

Hah... I used a Pioneer stereo receiver as the nerve center when I
first got started. Humble beginnings... :-)

The best monitor I've heard in recent months has been the ADAM S3A.
Now, at ~US$4400/pair, that is totally out of my price range!!!
However, the ADAM P11A is not, and still sounds really great. That is
what I am considering at the moment. For detail, imaging, showing me
what is really happening in my audio, clarity, and showing me
everything I'm doing right and wrong in tracking and mixing, this
monitor just completely smokes the K-ROKS and YSM-1s. It's not a fair
comparison, but shrugs shoulders.

Just curious, but do local stores carry them for you to listen to or
do you hear them in various studios?

I hope this slightly rambling email helps. Look, I've been up late
studying for exams, and this is the post that you get!! g

Good luck with your exams!

Ken/Eleven Shadows
http://www.elevenshadows.com
http://www.blueberrybuddha.com

Neat web site!

Andy

Andy Eng

Greetings Jonas!

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 05:29:45 GMT, "jonas aras"
wrote:

I think the new RP8s are a terrific value.

Chatting with some folks, we were wondering if KRK coming out with
these lower priced home solutions comes from Stanton's help.

I've been really enjoying this set and relistening to all sorts of
stuff.

Best,
Andy