Ben Bayliss

Default Hitachi HR-100P - What's this then? - Now with pictures!

Ben Bayliss wrote:
Hey all,

Whilst on a huge tidyup at work today we came across this unit tucked
away in an old store cupboard.

At first glance it appears to be some sort of video / audio unit which
uses 2 1" tapes on the same spool (for sync?)

Can anyone shed any light on this thing, as google is coming up fruitless?

Hey again.

Have taken some pictures today just to see if it helps.

http://www.ben.bayliss.dsl.pipex.com...00p/hr100p.htm

Thanks for your input so far!

Ben Bayliss

Scott Dorsey wrote:
MacKerr wrote:

Well... it sure is a video recorder. The two reels are not two reels of tape,
one is the supply reel the other is the take up reel. For awhile before
cartridge type video machines, both 3/4" U-Matic and later 1/2" BetaCam (OK,
and MII), became available 1" video field recorders like this one were how
remote location video was recorded. it may be an interesting look at video
history, but I don't think it would have much application today. Tape would be
expensive, and probably hard to find, and modern machines would have better
video quality.

If it is a Type C machine, I will gladly donate a few reels of tape.

If it is a Type A machine, I think I may have some Ampex 161 here somewhere
too.

There was also B format and IVC/Sony formation and probably some other stuff.
B-format sometimes came wound oxide-out on some machines.

This may actually be worth something to a broadcasting museum.
--scott

Mac & Scott

Thanks for your replies. My face lit up with realisation once you
explained it all. The reason we thought it was two seperate reels is
because the tape has snapped (you can see the nasty white stuff all over
the top reel in those pics)

Scott - Many thanks for your offer for tape, but given that I'm in the
UK it'd probably be uneconomical to ship anything over here. I
appreciate the offer though!

Any idea how I identify which type of machine it is? I've not been able
to find a thing about it online, but havent explored all the etchings on
the unit. Is it to be found on the body somewhere, or as part of the
serial number?

Thanks!