Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] br2001@webtv.net is offline

Default Opinions wanted: Best blank media for a stand alone CD-R deck?

I have two Tascam CD-RW700 stand alone decks. These are pro units, not
home "audio" decks. I do not use a computer to make CD-Rs..... I was
successfully using Maxell CDR-Pro blanks for some time with good
results. They're made in Japan, and I've read numerous articles on how
Japanese blanks use a different dye and manufacturing process than
Korean or Taiwanese blanks, which is why I got into the Maxells......
But lately, my decks have a hard time when calibrating the OPC when I
insert a blank. I also notice a note on the packaging of the Maxells
saying there can sometimes be a problem of sorts on 1X drives,
Sometimes, it take 3 or 4 attempts to get the blanks to load........ I'm
seeking advice and opinions on what brand of blank media is superior for
pro stand alone CD-R decks such as the Tascams. Thanks in advance.....

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

I have two Tascam CD-RW700 stand alone decks. These are pro units, not
home "audio" decks. I do not use a computer to make CD-Rs..... I was
successfully using Maxell CDR-Pro blanks for some time with good
results. They're made in Japan, and I've read numerous articles on how
Japanese blanks use a different dye and manufacturing process than
Korean or Taiwanese blanks, which is why I got into the Maxells......

I think that you can find both cyanine, and phthalocyanine dyes used
by pressing plants in any country.

My impression is that Maxell isn't a company which actually
manufactures their own CD-R media - they buy from OEM factories, just
as most of the big brands do these days. I could be wrong about that,
though.

But lately, my decks have a hard time when calibrating the OPC when I
insert a blank. I also notice a note on the packaging of the Maxells
saying there can sometimes be a problem of sorts on 1X drives,

That's not really good news. It means that the "Pro" blanks you've
bought, are now being manufactured more to meet the needs of
high-speed duplication, with a short laser exposure. As you've
noticed, this can compromise the disk's compatibility with low-speed
(real-time) recording.

Sometimes, it take 3 or 4 attempts to get the blanks to load........ I'm
seeking advice and opinions on what brand of blank media is superior for
pro stand alone CD-R decks such as the Tascams. Thanks in advance.....

See what you can locate from Mitsui and Taiyo Yuden. Also, consider
buying the 74-minute discs if you can find them - they may have better
compatibility than the 80-minute type.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"mescalero" wrote ...
Correct. Maxell CDR-Pro is manufactured in Japan
by Taiyo Yuden. Other Maxell blanks (last time I
checked) are manufactured by Ritek in Taiwan.

I don't think these are static sources. They seem to be subject
to change from month to month (or quarter to quarter). I buy
T-Y direct and avoid the OEM "label of the month".
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

In article ,
Richard Crowley wrote:

Correct. Maxell CDR-Pro is manufactured in Japan
by Taiyo Yuden. Other Maxell blanks (last time I
checked) are manufactured by Ritek in Taiwan.

I don't think these are static sources. They seem to be subject
to change from month to month (or quarter to quarter). I buy
T-Y direct and avoid the OEM "label of the month".

That's my experience with most of the big-name consumer brands of
CD-R. You never know what you're going to get in the package with
their name on the label.

Some years ago, TDK make truly wonderful CD-R blanks ("metallized
cyanine", almost as deep-blue as azo). They were extremely reliable.
Then, alas, they stopped making them (entirely so, as far as I can
tell) and started OEMing their disks - from Ritek initially, and
perhaps still. The quality of the OEM'ed disks was significantly
poorer, and they charged more than Ritek-branded discs cost... hence,
no reason to buy 'em.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"mescalero" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
"mescalero" wrote ...
Correct. Maxell CDR-Pro is manufactured in Japan
by Taiyo Yuden. Other Maxell blanks (last time I
checked) are manufactured by Ritek in Taiwan.

I don't think these are static sources. They seem to be subject
to change from month to month (or quarter to quarter). I buy
T-Y direct and avoid the OEM "label of the month".

No argument there, except that I have found Maxell to be consistent in
their use of Taiyo Yuden media for the CDR-Pro. So far, anyway.

That has not been my experience with Maxell.
I'd just as soon not play Russian Roulette with
DVDs, especially the ones going to customers.
Why gamble when you can buy discs that are
directly branded as "Taiyo-Yuden"?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] br2001@webtv.net is offline

Default Follow-up question from the original poster

Thanks for the advice, guys. Two questions come to mind - can someone
recommend the best site to order T-Y's or Mitsui's? And, is this
rationale accurate - is it wise to pursue "Audio" CD-R blanks for those
'home' (non-pro) stand-alone decks, assuming they're optimized for 1X
recording? Thanks again in advance...

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Thanks for the advice, guys. Two questions come to mind - can someone
recommend the best site to order T-Y's or Mitsui's?

I've dealt with Tape World (www.tapeworld.com) occasionally, over the
past decade or two, and have always gotten good service and decent
prices. They have Mitsui audio discs (either 74 or 80 minute), in
both jewel cases and bulk spindles.

And, is this
rationale accurate - is it wise to pursue "Audio" CD-R blanks for those
'home' (non-pro) stand-alone decks, assuming they're optimized for 1X
recording?

You don't really have a choice. Non-pro standalone decks will reject
generic (computer, data, "restricted use") CD-R discs. They'll only
accept "consumer audio" discs, on which a royalty has been paid and a
special type-code molded into the track. This behavior is required by
the Audio Home Recording Act.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech

br2001 wrote ...
Thanks for the advice, guys. Two questions come to mind - can someone
recommend the best site to order T-Y's or Mitsui's?

There are vendors who will charge you for T-Y and ship
some junker brand, so it is important to deal with vendors
who are both ethical AND sell T-Y. I buy all mine from
www.supermediastore and am very happy with their service.
Dunno about Mitsui, I use T-Y exclusively.

And, is this rationale accurate - is it wise to pursue "Audio"
CD-R blanks for those 'home' (non-pro) stand-alone decks,
assuming they're optimized for 1X recording? Thanks again
in advance...

It may be the only way of getting CDR discs which are designed
for 1X speed.