Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] richardprest@f2s.com is offline

Default Cannot recording through Line-In

I'm running an old machine after mine packed up, and I've just bought a
cheap and cheerful soundcard. No problems outputting from the card and
the sound isn't too bad. However I just cannot record from Line-In (i
transfer a lot of records onto PC).

The card is a: CMI8738-C3DX PCI Card

I've disabled the onboard sound (C-Media AC97) so the new PCI card is
set as default for Recording & Playback.

Playback options are all available in windows mixer console (Volume
Control, Wave, SW Synth, Mono In, Microphone, CD Audio, Aux, Line-In.
With SW Synth the only option muted).

When i switch to Recording option there are only three available:
Stereo Mix, Microphone, Wave (Line-in is not displayed in windows mixer
consule, there is now option to tick it)

I can input my stereo into Line-In and hear output through my PC
speakers, but cannot record it as the option is not available. I can
record through the microphone input but the quality through a
microphone input is not as good, and i also do not have as much control
over the recording volume.

When I go to Sounds & Audio Devices, under the Audio tab "Advanced" tab
is greyed out.

I've tried updated drivers, but I appear to have the latest drivers.
I've unistalled and re-installed several times.

I know the best solution is to upgrade to a better PC but that's not an
option at the moment!

Can anyone help, am I missing something simple??

Rich

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
I've tried updated drivers, but I appear to have the latest drivers.
I've unistalled and re-installed several times.

I know the best solution is to upgrade to a better PC but that's not
an
option at the moment!

Huh? Why is not the best solution to return the defective
sound card and get one that works?

Can anyone help, am I missing something simple??

Return it as defective.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] richardprest@f2s.com is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
Return it as defective.

Is it defective though if i can run line-in into the card and hear
sound, and also output works ok? I just don't have the option to record
from line-in.

Is this a defective card or driver/setting issue?

Rich

Posted to rec.audio.tech

richardprest wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
Return it as defective.

Is it defective though if i can run line-in into the card and hear
sound, and also output works ok? I just don't have the option to record
from line-in.

Is this a defective card or driver/setting issue?

You said you found and used the latest drivers.
If the driver doesn't allow you to access the line
inputs as a recording source, that is "broken" by
my definition. I am the customer. I paid for that
functionality and they didn't deliver. Seems pretty
straightforward to me. Doesn't matter whether it
is the hardware or the software that is "broken".
You need both to make it work, so they are
inextricably joined as a single "product".

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] richardprest@f2s.com is offline

Thanks, this card is going to go back!

Got any suggestions for a good, inexpensive, pci card for recording via
line-in?

Rich

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
ps.com
Thanks, this card is going to go back!

Got any suggestions for a good, inexpensive, pci card for
recording via line-in?

Creative Labs Live! 24 bit

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/t...mv_pc=dealtime

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
richardprest wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
Return it as defective.

Is it defective though if i can run line-in into the card and hear
sound, and also output works ok? I just don't have the option to
record from line-in.

Is this a defective card or driver/setting issue?

You said you found and used the latest drivers.
If the driver doesn't allow you to access the line
inputs as a recording source, that is "broken" by
my definition. I am the customer. I paid for that
functionality and they didn't deliver. Seems pretty
straightforward to me. Doesn't matter whether it
is the hardware or the software that is "broken".
You need both to make it work, so they are
inextricably joined as a single "product".

Or have you (richardprest) just not selected the new device in the "Sounds
And Audio Devices" "Audio" tab dropdown ? If so, then the device or the
driver is broken. Changing your PC won't fix that.

geoff