Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default The Vinylizer

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:08:45 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 06:09:30 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

I see a misidentification of a problem that we all agree
exists. Digital recordings on occasion fail to sound
good simply because they are accurate reproducers of
mediocre technical work.

I wish that were true.

It's truth is proven fact.

The fact is that most CD releases
do not represent, accurately, the information that is on
the master tape.

It takes considerable naivate about the normal production process to
consider that to be a technical flaw.

Who said it was a "technical flaw"?

Master tapes very frequently are not commerically acceptable when they are
accurate representations of the master tape. That's why mastering engineers
are still a valuable resource.

Whatever the reason, the reality is that commercial CD rarely, if ever, lives
up to its potential in terms of sound quality.

Commerical recordings must satisfy a large number of listeners to be good
commercial products. Musical recordings often have excess dynamics and
often contain excess power at the low end of the audible spectrum to sound
acceptable in the limited environments that most consumers listen to them
in.

That's true. But what it means is that the CD buyer is not getting what CD is
capable of. I'm glad we agree on this point.