Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] MMan22@hotmail.com is offline

Default Low height 3.5mm jack ???

Hi All

I'm trying to put a PDA in to a otter box but the sound output on the
pda is on the side, where it only has 5 - 6mm of clearance.

Does anyone know (especially in the UK) where I can get a 3.5mm stereo
jack that has a low height ? (from PDA surface)

I can remove any rubber/plastic cover but all the ones I have lying
around are still too long, even the right angle ones.

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] MMan22@hotmail.com is offline

Thanks Graham

Have looked at the web site but comparing the shaft lengths in relation
to the "heads", all look a bit too big but I may have to buy some and
cut open just to findout.

Most of the moulded ones appear to have a fair bit of metal sticking
out, assume it gives something for the rubber/plastic to mould to.

I'm hoping I can find a screw cap version.

Will keep looking.

Leigh

Graham W wrote:
wrote:
Hi All

I'm trying to put a PDA in to a otter box but the sound output on the
pda is on the side, where it only has 5 - 6mm of clearance.

Does anyone know (especially in the UK) where I can get a 3.5mm stereo
jack that has a low height ? (from PDA surface)

I can remove any rubber/plastic cover but all the ones I have lying
around are still too long, even the right angle ones.

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Have you tried Maplins? Last time I was in there for that sort of thing
thay had them with a 90 degree cable entry. It was two years ago though.

GW

Posted to rec.audio.tech

MMan22 wrote ...
Have looked at the web site but comparing the shaft lengths in
relation
to the "heads", all look a bit too big but I may have to buy some and
cut open just to findout.

Most of the moulded ones appear to have a fair bit of metal sticking
out, assume it gives something for the rubber/plastic to mould to.

I'm hoping I can find a screw cap version.

Seems pretty unlikely. You will probably have to
find one that has a minimal "footprint" inside the
shell and cut it down to whatever is required for
mechanical integrity. Solder wiring to the remaining
metal components for tip, ring, and sleeve. If you
really wanted it fancy, you could mould your own
"shell" around it with some kind of two-part
hardening plastic (of the sort used for "potting")

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
MMan22 wrote ...
Have looked at the web site but comparing the shaft lengths in
relation
to the "heads", all look a bit too big but I may have to buy some and
cut open just to findout.

Most of the moulded ones appear to have a fair bit of metal sticking
out, assume it gives something for the rubber/plastic to mould to.

I'm hoping I can find a screw cap version.

Seems pretty unlikely. You will probably have to
find one that has a minimal "footprint" inside the
shell and cut it down to whatever is required for
mechanical integrity. Solder wiring to the remaining
metal components for tip, ring, and sleeve. If you
really wanted it fancy, you could mould your own
"shell" around it with some kind of two-part
hardening plastic (of the sort used for "potting")

TOA supply a spare part plug with a narrow gray plastic shell. Part number
1230417730

Shell length 20mm , diameter 7.9mm max with very slight taper to cable
end.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Geoff wrote:
TOA supply a spare part plug with a narrow gray plastic shell. Part
number 1230417730

Shell length 20mm , diameter 7.9mm max with very slight taper to
cable end.

Ooops - I was thinking low-diameter....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Geoff wrote:
Geoff wrote:
TOA supply a spare part plug with a narrow gray plastic shell. Part
number 1230417730

Shell length 20mm , diameter 7.9mm max with very slight taper to
cable end.

Ooops - I was thinking low-diameter....

geoff

Manage to find one which I could cut/file down - not the cleanest of
jobs but I think it will do.

Thanks for the help though guys.

Leigh