Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] rcerlini11@gmail.com is offline

Default tube guitar combo frequency ranges

I've been reading here frequently lately and need some help today.
Anyway, I want to know if the power amps in tube combos cover 20 Hz to
20,000 Hz like home
stereo tube amplifiers +/- 1 dB or if tube guitar amps are made
different/cheaper and cover less of a range with less accuracy say 60
Hz
to 15,000 Hz +/- 3dB. I've been looking for specs but they don't
seem to list them.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...

** Groper alert !

I've been reading here frequently lately and need some help today.
Anyway, I want to know if the power amps in tube combos cover 20 Hz to
20,000 Hz like home
stereo tube amplifiers +/- 1 dB or if tube guitar amps are made
different/cheaper and cover less of a range with less accuracy say 60
Hz
to 15,000 Hz +/- 3dB. I've been looking for specs but they don't
seem to list them.

** LOL - guitar amps do not have published specs other than the
(dubious) watts figure.

With a few rare exceptions aside, tube guitar amps have tailored frequency
rising high frequency response that peaks out at between 5kHz and 10 kHz.
Because the output impedance is high ( ie low damping factor) the response
depends on the speaker's impedance curve at high frequencies as well.
Guitar speakers have a rising impedance curve above 500 Hz.

The available power output falls off below 60 Hz and above 8 kHz in most
cases too, while the THD figure is typically around 3% at most power levels
below clipping.

The basic design of most tube guitar amps is derived straight from 40s tube
radios.

It sure ain't hi-fi.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
JohnR66 JohnR66 is offline

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

** Groper alert !

[...]

Yes, and much of pop/rock music lead guitar sound is derived from driving
the amp into heavy distortion : )
John