Posted to rec.audio.tech
leetcharmer leetcharmer is offline

Default Recording Jumpy Audio

I'm getting jumpy audio in my recordings -- would this happen if my CPU
is running at 60%?

I have multiple applications running simultaneously:

Song Show Plus (Lyric Projection program)
PowerPoint
Audacity / Sound Forge XP (recording)

it's an AMD Athlon X2 4200+

why would I be getting jumpy audio on recording?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 27 Jul 2006 13:03:58 -0700, "leetcharmer"
wrote:

I'm getting jumpy audio in my recordings -- would this happen if my CPU
is running at 60%?

I have multiple applications running simultaneously:

Song Show Plus (Lyric Projection program)
PowerPoint
Audacity / Sound Forge XP (recording)

it's an AMD Athlon X2 4200+

why would I be getting jumpy audio on recording?

Because you have multiple applications running simultaneously?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

I'm getting jumpy audio in my recordings -- would this happen if my CPU
is running at 60%?

I have multiple applications running simultaneously:

Song Show Plus (Lyric Projection program)
PowerPoint
Audacity / Sound Forge XP (recording)

it's an AMD Athlon X2 4200+

why would I be getting jumpy audio on recording?

Because you have multiple applications running simultaneously?

And/or because there are more choke-points than just CPU utilization.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"leetcharmer" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm getting jumpy audio in my recordings -- would this happen if my CPU
is running at 60%?

Ideally, 60% CPU is the managable range.

I have multiple applications running simultaneously:

Song Show Plus (Lyric Projection program)
PowerPoint
Audacity / Sound Forge XP (recording)

it's an AMD Athlon X2 4200+

why would I be getting jumpy audio on recording?

Lack of RAM?

Fragged hard drive?

Other apps or resident utilties you aren't telling us about?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..

"leetcharmer" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm getting jumpy audio in my recordings -- would this happen if my CPU
is running at 60%?

Ideally, 60% CPU is the managable range.

I have multiple applications running simultaneously:

Song Show Plus (Lyric Projection program)
PowerPoint
Audacity / Sound Forge XP (recording)

it's an AMD Athlon X2 4200+

why would I be getting jumpy audio on recording?

Lack of RAM?

Fragged hard drive?

Other apps or resident utilties you aren't telling us about?

In other words, shut down things you shouldn't need like IE, Outlook, IM,
and etc. Also, it never hurts to scan for viruses, malware, spyware, and
etc.

To the original poster, all of the above could contribute to swapping. That
is, you've allocated more memory than you have RAM, so the OS is constantly
swapping chunks of data from RAM to/from virtual memory (which is really
just a file on your hard drive). If your OS is busy swapping, the CPU isn't
doing much of anything, and your audio application won't be able to grab
enough CPU or disk input/output and you'll get "jumpy audio". Note that you
can usually tell when the OS is swapping too much because your hard drive
light will be flashing madly, or on continuously, even when you don't expect
it to be doing so.

I assume you're running XP, based on your using "Sound Forge XP". I'd
personally recommend at least 512 MB of memory when running XP. Preferably
more, especially if you've got a motherboard with integrated graphics that
shares system memory.

So how much RAM do you have in your box?

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:19:21 -0400, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

To the original poster, all of the above could contribute to swapping. That
is, you've allocated more memory than you have RAM, so the OS is constantly
swapping chunks of data from RAM to/from virtual memory (which is really
just a file on your hard drive).

This is really incredibly unlikely on today's computers. If you had
a machine with very low RAM installed and opened a LOT of programs you
might be able to force it. But you wouldn't just get the odd pop.
Things would seriously slow down.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
leetcharmer leetcharmer is offline

I am running on Windows XP Media Center Edition with only essentials
running: virus scan (AVG Free) and spyware (Windows Defender), the
machine has 250GB HDD space and 1GB of RAM.

The only apps running are the ones I spoke of earlier.

Song Show Plus is intensive on the GeForce 6800 Ultra graphics card
because it creates motion 3D backgrounds on the fly.

This happens during record.

Need anymore information?

Jeff Findley wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 29 Jul 2006 00:41:35 -0700, "leetcharmer"
wrote:

I am running on Windows XP Media Center Edition with only essentials
running: virus scan (AVG Free) and spyware (Windows Defender), the
machine has 250GB HDD space and 1GB of RAM.

Well, turn them off for a start, and pull the plug on your Internet
connection. You don't need it during a recording session.

The only apps running are the ones I spoke of earlier.

Song Show Plus is intensive on the GeForce 6800 Ultra graphics card
because it creates motion 3D backgrounds on the fly.

I'm afraid that sounds like a strong suspect. Can you turn off the
"pretties" while recording? Or drop into a "preview" video mode?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:11:58 +0100, Laurence Payne

wrote:

I am running on Windows XP Media Center Edition with only essentials
running: virus scan (AVG Free) and spyware (Windows Defender), the
machine has 250GB HDD space and 1GB of RAM.

Well, turn them off for a start, and pull the plug on your Internet
connection. You don't need it during a recording session.

The only apps running are the ones I spoke of earlier.

Song Show Plus is intensive on the GeForce 6800 Ultra graphics card
because it creates motion 3D backgrounds on the fly.

I'm afraid that sounds like a strong suspect. Can you turn off the
"pretties" while recording? Or drop into a "preview" video mode?

In fact I would recommend searching the web for a copy of "Enditall".
This used to be vital to game players, as it would shut down every
unnecessary background task and leave the machine clean for whatever
it was you really needed to do. It kind of vanished when machines got
quicker, but I'm sure it is still around somewhere. And of course as
you say, all that spyware and virus stuff simply has to go - they
really slow things down hugely. That needs to be consigned to another
machine which can be used as a gateway for any downloads via the
Ethernet port.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

[...]

Agree. EndItAll is a prerequisite to recording on my
laptop PC (which is the one I use for connection to
the internet.)

Recording with software that wastes CPU cycles on
such frivolous stuff as moving images just seems like
asking for trouble. Pure, useless fluff IMHO. Try using
a "real" recording application. Some are available for
very low cost (like Total Recorder) and some are even
free (like Audacity, etc.)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
I find it virtually impossible to actually "turn off" anti virus
software and the like. All you can do is disable some of the
functionality, but it is still lurking there doing all sorts of
unhelpful stuff.

I simply don't install it on my audio PC's in the first place. The internet
PC has the firewall/antivirus stuff etc.
Of course they could actually be the same computer simply by using different
hard drives, or even boot partitions.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 30 Jul 2006 08:17:43 -0700, "leetcharmer"
wrote:

no, I'm unable to kill the pretty stuff. It's necessary for
performance.

Even when recording?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
leetcharmer leetcharmer is offline

yessir, because what I'm doing is recording the audio of a church
service while displaying lyrics on the projection screens. Everything
is all happening on one computer.
wrote:

no, I'm unable to kill the pretty stuff. It's necessary for
performance.

Even when recording?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

no, I'm unable to kill the pretty stuff. It's necessary for
performance.

Even when recording?

Assuming recording is OK WITOUT this display program running, maybe we
just have to accept "You can't do that".

You aren't doing anything silly like attempting to record in 24/96 I
suppose?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
leetcharmer leetcharmer is offline

nope, nothing silly ... If I wanted to record with another PC, how fast
should it be? Would a 500MHz Celeron take care of business if
recording is it's only role?

wrote:

no, I'm unable to kill the pretty stuff. It's necessary for
performance.

Even when recording?

Assuming recording is OK WITOUT this display program running, maybe we
just have to accept "You can't do that".

You aren't doing anything silly like attempting to record in 24/96 I
suppose?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"leetcharmer" wrote in message
oups.com...
nope, nothing silly ... If I wanted to record with another PC, how fast
should it be? Would a 500MHz Celeron take care of business if
recording is it's only role?

More information required for a complete answer.
However if you only want 2 simultaneous channels at less than 24/96, and
don't require low latency monitoring of the output (zero latency monitoring
of the input is no problem) or real time waveform display whilst recording,
or any other concurrent processes, then it is *more* than adequate.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 1 Aug 2006 11:31:37 -0700, "leetcharmer"
wrote:

nope, nothing silly ... If I wanted to record with another PC, how fast
should it be? Would a 500MHz Celeron take care of business if
recording is it's only role?

My first PC was a 200MHz Pentium with 96MB of RAM. It happily
recorded two tracks in Cubase while playing back 10 more. It would
have recorded more than two should I have possessed a soundcard
capable of multiple inputs.

That was Windows 98. Allow some overhead for Windows XP. But, yes,
many people were successfully using a 500MHz Celeron as a DAW when
that was all there was. Don't try to run XP on less than 256MB
though, and 512 is better.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

"leetcharmer" wrote in message
oups.com...
nope, nothing silly ... If I wanted to record with another PC, how fast
should it be? Would a 500MHz Celeron take care of business if
recording is it's only role?

On that low end of a machine, I wouldn't run anything higher than Windows 98
SE. But fear not, simple recording programs like CD Wave have worked well
for me on low end PC's like this.

Still, I'd hope it has a bit more RAM than Windows "minimum" requirements.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
That was Windows 98. Allow some overhead for Windows XP. But, yes,
many people were successfully using a 500MHz Celeron as a DAW when
that was all there was. Don't try to run XP on less than 256MB
though, and 512 is better.

On a 500 Mhz Celeron, I'd stick with Windows 98SE or even Windows 2000
before I'd attempt XP. The only reason I didn't mention ME is because it's
essentially Win98SE with excessive Microsoft bloatware.

That and I consider 512 MB of RAM to be the minimum with XP. Anything less
than that and the hard drive seems to thrash excessively due to constant
swapping, even during booting. I bought one PC with XP and 256MB of RAM. I
let it boot exactly once (very slow) before I stuck in another 256 MB DIMM
that cost me all of $40. Unfortunately, RAM for an old 500 Mhz Celeron
might set you back a bit more, especially if it's something a bit weird (and
obsolete) like RAMBUS or something.