Brandon Paluzzi

Default Line level splitting -- does it require transformers?

Hi all-

Still working on the in-ear monitor rig for my band.

Have a quick question --

I'm running three main types of sources, all of which will need to be
split to the house/monitor desks.

1- Microphone; coming from the guitar amp and vocalist
2- line-level, via a DI box; coming from the violin and keyboards (2
channels)
3- line-level, no DI; coming from bass guitar and electric drums (6
channels)

I'm planning on using transformered splits (whirlwind) in the rig, and
wanted to check before purchasing them -- what signal types (of the
three above) would actually benefit from the transformers?

My guess is that 1 and 2 (mic and DI) would need them, but they
probably wouldn't be necessary for the straight line-level inputs. Is
this correct or incorrect, in your experience/opinion?

A bit more background info-- this rig will be travelling, and run on a
wide variety of systems. The monitor desk will be run from stage,
driving 5 in-ear monitor systems (3 wireless, 2 wired). there will be
additional mics running into the monitor desk that are not connected
to the house (ambient mics, mainly), but they will not require phantom
power, so phantom from the monitor desk will be off.

Thanks in advance!

brandon paluzzi