Mike Rivers

Default CD Error Rates

Someone asked me where to find the acceptable number or rate of the
various types of errors for a CD. What publication might that be in, if
those who know admit that there can be errors on a CD? g

Good guesses are acceptable. Keep wild guesses to yourself, please. I
thought of the Red Book too, but I've never seen one so I don't know
what's in it.

John

In article . com,
"Mike Rivers" wrote:

Someone asked me where to find the acceptable number or rate of the
various types of errors for a CD. What publication might that be in, if
those who know admit that there can be errors on a CD? g

Good guesses are acceptable. Keep wild guesses to yourself, please. I
thought of the Red Book too, but I've never seen one so I don't know
what's in it.

so long as the errors are C1 only, there is no real problem and there
can be hundreds or even thousands but obviously a low number is
preferred. most plants establish their own limits of acceptance or
rejection and if the C1 count is high for them, they will clone the disk
or transfer to a ddp.
a single C2 is unacceptable for replication, imo, and for all the plants
i deal with.
C3 is immediate death.

a clover analyzer or plextools will reveal many things you wouldn't
suspect.
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com

Mike Rivers wrote:
Someone asked me where to find the acceptable number or rate of the
various types of errors for a CD. What publication might that be in, if
those who know admit that there can be errors on a CD? g

Good guesses are acceptable. Keep wild guesses to yourself, please. I
thought of the Red Book too, but I've never seen one so I don't know
what's in it.

check he

http://www.cloversystems.com/QA-101.htm

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Scott Dorsey

Mike Rivers wrote:
Someone asked me where to find the acceptable number or rate of the
various types of errors for a CD. What publication might that be in, if
those who know admit that there can be errors on a CD? g

Ask the pressing plant. Everybody has their own personal idea about
what is acceptable. Some plants just say if there are no E32s that
it's okay. Some have very tight standards.

Good guesses are acceptable. Keep wild guesses to yourself, please. I
thought of the Red Book too, but I've never seen one so I don't know
what's in it.

I don't _think_ it lists acceptable error rates, but I will check it
and see when I am back in my office.

Mike Rivers

Thanks for the inputs. I was asking based on a telephone message I got
and I'm not sure what the real question is. I'll try to ask a better
question when I hook with the caller and find out what he really wants
to know. I suspect that he's talking about a pressed CD rather than a
master submitted for replication since he knows plenty of mastering
people who have to deal with the input part of the process daily.

Thanks for the Clover link, Bob. I was trying to think of that company
name and that would have been my first place to go.

James Perrett

On 18 Oct 2005 18:26:54 -0700, Mike Rivers wrote:

Someone asked me where to find the acceptable number or rate of the
various types of errors for a CD. What publication might that be in, if
those who know admit that there can be errors on a CD? g

Good guesses are acceptable. Keep wild guesses to yourself, please. I
thought of the Red Book too, but I've never seen one so I don't know
what's in it.

The redbook specification is a maximum rate of 220 errors per second
averaged over something like 10 seconds. These must all be correctable
errors so E32's (or CU's) mean instant rejection.

Most mastering engineers have much more rigorous standards. I wouldn't
send out a master burned on a Taiyo Yuden disc if it averaged more than
one C1 error per second or had a peak rate of more than 30 because I know
that these figures are higher than I would normally see on that type of
disc. If you want to take a look at some typical figures obtained using
Plextools then take a look at some of the previous postings to Glenn
Meadows' Mastering Webboard. One of the members has done some fairly
extensive tests fairly recently.

Cheers

James.