Carlos42

Default Need Phantom Power Supply That is Not a Switching Supply

Does anyone have a 48 volt phantom power
supply that is not a swicching supply? This
would probably have to be a older supply. I
just need it to power one mike. I am using a
condenser mike with my amateur radio transceiver and
the new switching supplies must beat with something
in the tranceiver to cause a low level tone
in my transmitted audio.Does anyone have an older supply
for sale?

Also, any sugestions for eliminating this problem?
It would be a lot easier to use a switching supply.

Kent Tunks

Arny Krueger

"Carlos42" wrote in message
om

Does anyone have a 48 volt phantom power
supply that is not a switching supply? This
would probably have to be a older supply.

Audio Technica CP8506 It ain't cheap, it's oversized, but I have one and
I know for sure it has a linear power supply,

I just need it to power one mike. I am using a
condenser mike with my amateur radio transceiver and
the new switching supplies must beat with something
in the transceiver to cause a low level tone
in my transmitted audio.Does anyone have an older supply
for sale?

Seems like a reasonable situation.

Richard Crowley

"Carlos42" wrote ...
Does anyone have a 48 volt phantom power
supply that is not a swicching supply? This
would probably have to be a older supply. I
just need it to power one mike. I am using a
condenser mike with my amateur radio transceiver and
the new switching supplies must beat with something
in the tranceiver to cause a low level tone
in my transmitted audio.Does anyone have an older supply
for sale?

Does your mic REALLY need a full 48v?
(Many of them require as little as 5-9v)

You could use any old 48v power supply like an
open-frame one (like from DigiKey or MPJA, etc.)

Or you could use a wall-wart (like a 24v one from
AllElectronics for $4.75 with a voltage doubler
(the phantom power current requirement is very low).

Also, any sugestions for eliminating this problem?
It would be a lot easier to use a switching supply.

Or you could put additional filtering on your switch-
mode power supply. Since the current requirement is
so low, a series of R/C sections would make it nice
and quiet while still delivering adequate current.

Dave Runton

Condor makes a 48V, 0.5A linear supply. You can order it from Mouser - HB48-0.5-A+

It's definitely overkill, but at $42, it will power a lot of mics.

Scott Dorsey

Carlos42 wrote:
Does anyone have a 48 volt phantom power
supply that is not a swicching supply? This
would probably have to be a older supply. I
just need it to power one mike. I am using a
condenser mike with my amateur radio transceiver and
the new switching supplies must beat with something
in the tranceiver to cause a low level tone
in my transmitted audio.Does anyone have an older supply
for sale?

AKG still makes one, I think.

Also, though, your microphone may have a DC-DC converter which may also
be causing part of the problem.

Also, any sugestions for eliminating this problem?
It would be a lot easier to use a switching supply.

My suggestion is put five 9V batteries in series, get a pair of 6.81K
resistors, and make your own. That way you'll at least be able to make
sure the problem is the supply and not the mike.
Carlos42

I did not think about the possibility of a DC-DC converter
being part of this problem.Thanks, Scott, for the tip!
The mike is a Behringer B-1.I have no idea of the electronics
inside.Does anyone else know if it has a DC-DC converter?

My thanks to all who replied, there were many good sugestions
offered and I appreciate all of them.

In the interim, I have ordered a Nady SMPS-1 that the
Nady folks tell me is a linear supply. It is cheap, $35
including shipping. I will let the group know how it
works out.

Kent Tunks

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in message ...
Carlos42 wrote:
Does anyone have a 48 volt phantom power
supply that is not a swicching supply? This
would probably have to be a older supply. I
just need it to power one mike. I am using a
condenser mike with my amateur radio transceiver and
the new switching supplies must beat with something
in the tranceiver to cause a low level tone
in my transmitted audio.Does anyone have an older supply
for sale?

AKG still makes one, I think.

Also, though, your microphone may have a DC-DC converter which may also
be causing part of the problem.

Also, any sugestions for eliminating this problem?
It would be a lot easier to use a switching supply.

My suggestion is put five 9V batteries in series, get a pair of 6.81K
resistors, and make your own. That way you'll at least be able to make
sure the problem is the supply and not the mike.

Scott Dorsey

Carlos42 wrote:
I did not think about the possibility of a DC-DC converter
being part of this problem.Thanks, Scott, for the tip!
The mike is a Behringer B-1.I have no idea of the electronics
inside.Does anyone else know if it has a DC-DC converter?

It's a Beijing microphone. I don't think any of those have a converter
and they all polarize directly from the 48V line. This is sort of a bad
thing since they have capsules that are copies of ones designed for much
higher voltages and don't perform as well on 48V. It's also a bad thing
in that the microphone really needs 48V, and won't work at all on 24V,
for instance.

In the interim, I have ordered a Nady SMPS-1 that the
Nady folks tell me is a linear supply. It is cheap, $35
including shipping. I will let the group know how it
works out.

SMPS? That sounds kinds of suspicious.... SMPS stands for Switching Mode
Power Supply in other quarters.