LeBaron & Alrich

Default Alesis HD24

So, who's using one and what do you think? Reliable? Conversion
acceptable to you?

Anybody heard one with Jim Williams' mods to the convertors?

(And did he ever mod a Radar 24 96 KHz unit?)

I been googlin' but am seeking the very latest opinions from users here.

TIA

--
ha

Wayne

So, who's using one and what do you think?

I use one for remotes and it's great. Compact, easy to use, works like an ADAT
only no tape, tape transport or dirty heads to deal with.

In the studio, I like it because it's linear recording and that means no
latency problems on punch-ins, etc. Instant rewind (HD) and fast forward.

Reliable? Yes

Conversion acceptable to you?

The AD/DA sound better than the ProTools 001 and way better than any ADAT or
Tascam I've heard.

If you're running a PC, it should be a real nice addition to your recording
gear with the Firewire card. Running it with a MAC is a little inconvient when
transferring files because of the slow 10 bps lan hookup.

Hank, there's a users group @

Hope this helps

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-

Jim Gilliland

LeBaron & Alrich wrote:
So, who's using one and what do you think? Reliable? Conversion
acceptable to you?

Anybody heard one with Jim Williams' mods to the convertors?

(And did he ever mod a Radar 24 96 KHz unit?)

I been googlin' but am seeking the very latest opinions from users here.

Join the HD24 group on Yahoo. It's a pretty good group with a lot of
knowledge and experience. I haven't seen much discussion of Jim's mods
other than from Jim himself who has posted some discussion of both the
stock unit and his mods to it. Read through the archives if you want to
see what he had to say.

The unit is quite reliable. Occasionally someone will have trouble
getting a drive to mount, and there have been some compatibility
problems with the Alesis "BRC". But Alesis has been pretty good about
updating the firmware to solve these problems - they released version
1.16 of the firmware a month or so ago.

Most of the input to my HD24 comes in via Lightpipe, so I don't have a
lot of experience with the converters. Other folks seem to like them,
but I'll refer you to the group for more direct input.

LeBaron & Alrich

Wayne wrote:

If you're running a PC, it should be a real nice addition to your
recording gear with the Firewire card. Running it with a MAC is a little
inconvient when transferring files because of the slow 10 bps lan hookup.

So that Fireport 1394 needs the Alesis software that's not Mac
compatible? Might not matter to me.

Thanks for the info, Wayne.

--
ha

Richard Kuschel

Wayne wrote:

If you're running a PC, it should be a real nice addition to your
recording gear with the Firewire card. Running it with a MAC is a little
inconvient when transferring files because of the slow 10 bps lan hookup.

So that Fireport 1394 needs the Alesis software that's not Mac
compatible? Might not matter to me.

Thanks for the info, Wayne.

--
ha

Supposedly Alesis will have fireprt software for th Mac in a couple of months.

Currently vaporware.
Richard H. Kuschel