Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

Default Digital noise from speakers in flight simulator (X-Plane)

I know the difference between noise and intentionally produced
sound.

It is not obviously coming from the flight simulator. The power draw
is much greater. Unlikely the (upgraded) power supply, but possibly
the motherboard 3-D circuitry and/or mishandling the increased power
requirement.

An intermediate test might be finding some other power-hungry 3-D
software to try. Microsoft's flight simulator might do. Or maybe
some benchmark software.

geoff wrote:

On 8/04/2018 9:01 PM, John Doe wrote:
"Nicola B. Bernardelli" wrote:

John Doe wrote:

INFORMATION:

The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).

Tried two different video cards, PNY GTX980 and MSI GTX960. Tried
built-in audio and Creative Rx soundcard Tried a different
speaker cable.

The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an
oscillator.

Neither of my monitors have an HDMI audio output jack.

QUESTIONS:

Should I try an HDMI pass-through with audio extractor?

The soundcard has SPDIF output. But I am having trouble finding
an inexpensive SPDIF input preamp for the powered speakers.

Could you solve the problem by now?

Just out of curiosity, I searched in Duckduckgo.com

video card dac audio interference

you might want to do the same and check out some of the resulting
pages, e.g.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33...mputer-working

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-speakers.html

https://hardforum.com/threads/help-w...-card.1929139/

https://hardforum.com/threads/video-...rence.1789077/

Somebody mentions having solved it by removing software (Dolby
stuff), or updating drivers, somebody mentions unplugging a cable
from the aux input they were not using...

BTW you didn't mention what motherboard it is.

And... I think I've gone through each post in this thread but now,
sorry, I don't remember: could you check out the SPDIF output
eventually?

That would require a third purchase, less useful than the first two.
I will post when it is solved. If it affected something other than
the flight simulator, I might be more gung ho for solving it. Every
other sound from my PC is noise free. Most impressive is the USB
microphone connected to a 36 foot Tripp-Lite active USB extender.
Used partly for security, partly for entertaining my indoor-only
cats. The Marantz USB microphone is output through my SoundBlaster
Audigy Rx to the JBL LSR305s. Sounds like being outside. Love it.

Thanks.

Sorry if already clarified, but the noise isn't actually coming from the
flight simulator program by any chance, ie meant to be there even if
unpleasant to you ?

Cos if it isn't there from other source media on the computer that would
kind of eliminate everything else....

geoff