Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Howard Stone Howard Stone is offline

Default Class A Power output of Luxman Amps

Does anyone know the class A power output of any of the L-550 range of integrated amps? Some places say 20W, some places say 50W, it's just not clear to me.

If anyone has any experience of the different versions in these ranges, I'd be interested to know as I'm thinking of buying one.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

On 3/02/2019 7:23 am, Howard Stone wrote:
Does anyone know the class A power output of any of the L-550 range of integrated amps? Some places say 20W, some places say 50W, it's just not clear to me.

If anyone has any experience of the different versions in these ranges, I'd be interested to know as I'm thinking of buying one.

**I've serviced a few and can report that the L550 is, indeed, a real 50
Watts of Class A power. Be aware of a couple of things:

* These things run hot. Really hot. As a consequence good ventilation is
essential (forget about putting it in a cabinet. It must be in free air)
* Since it runs hot, you should bank on the costs involved in replacing
most of the electrolytic capacitors, if they have not been replaced
recently. You should also check, or have the amp checked) for dry solder
joints, as solder degrades at elevated temperatures.
* Consider some cooling fans, as they can extend the life of the amp
considerably. Run large (120mm) fans at low RPM if noise is an issue.
Don't forget a plenum.
* Beware of noisy switches and pots. Like most old amps, these parts can
be almost impossible to source, if they're faulty.

Otherwise, quite a nice sounding amp.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au